Smallville: Telekinetic (Lex...

By DebraJay

All she ever wanted was to belong. All she had to do was learn to trust. ___________________________________... More

Tilting at Windmills
Lonely Day
Everybody Hurts
Spybreak
Serendipity
Good Samaritan
Sittin' On Top of the World
Follow Me
Here in Pleasantville
What You Wanted
Rabbit Hole
Secret
Small Town, Big Hearts
Honey Drops
Hero in Green
Yesterday's Feelings
From the Heart
Souvenir
Alright
Everything
Wrong Impression
Caught Inside
Far From Yesterday
Distance
My Father's Son
Glorious
IMPORTANT: Author's Note

Green Butterfly

1.1K 43 7
By DebraJay

Kennedy stood in front of the cheval mirror and smiled at Lana's reflection behind her. 'I'm so grateful for this, Lana. Really. I don't know what I'd have done without your input.'

'Don't mention it,' Lana smiled, as she did up the concealed zipper on the back of the dress. 'Rather enjoying myself to be honest. It's been a long time since I gave someone a makeover. And this dress fits you like a glove. How on earth did Lex know to get the right size?'

Kennedy dropped her eyes and smiled as she ran her hands down the front of the creamy satin dress. 'I have no idea,' she murmured.

Lana smiled at the soft way her friend's voice had dropped and smiled. 'I never thought he had it in him,' she said, fastening the pearlised button at the top. 'There. Done. Now, do the honor by giving me a twirl.'

Kennedy obliged. She turned, spun once and facing Lana held out both hands. 'What's the verdict, Miss. Lang?'

Lana's smile deepened as she took a step back to look at her friend.

The bead encrusted bodice of the dress fit Kennedy's slim figure snugly, while the skirt nipping in at the waist accentuated every curve she had and as for the color - emerald green - it was so perfect with her dark red coloring, pale skin and green eyes. Kennedy had given Lana free reign with her hair and make-up and although the dress was strapless and elegant, pinning up all those gorgeous red curls seemed such a shame to Lana. So she had opted for a half-up half-down style, using a green and silver mother-of-pearl barrette, still elegant but with a young feel. With skin as flawless as Kennedy's there had been no need to go crazy with the make-up, just a touch of peach blush swept high over her cheekbones, a smoky silver-grey shadow outlined her eyes, a little mascara and to finish off a slick of peach lipgloss. The finishing touches were a pair of silver strappy sandals that Lana had bought especially for the last Winter Formal accompanied with a silver satin purse.

'Okay, uh, wow about covers it,' Lana smiled. 'You look amazing.'

'You think?' Kennedy said, wrinkling up her nose. 'I don't look like a high-class call girl?'

Lana laughed. 'You look beautiful. Lex isn't going to know what hit him,' she added with a grin making Kennedy flush slightly as she bit on her bottom lip.

'It's just dinner.'

'Just dinner, my eye. He bought you three dresses, Kennedy. It's clearly a lot more to Lex than 'just dinner'.'

'You're making me nervous, Lana. Please stop.'

Lana chuckled. 'What do you think's going to happen tonight?'

'I have no idea.'

'Get used to that feeling,' teased Lana. 'Life with Lex Luthor can be unpredictable.'

'Yeah...I'm beginning to get that.'

'Don't look so worried.' She ran her eyes over the dress once more and tapped a finger against her bottom lip. 'There's something missing...'

'There is?' Kennedy queried as Lana began rummaging through the pile of accessories and whatnot on the bed. 'What more could I possibly need?'

'This,' Lana declared and held up her green meteorite necklace. The small green stone was shaped like a spinning top and set in a silver base, attached to a thin silver chain. As it dangled from her fingers, the lamp within the room sent prisms of vibrant green light shooting in all directions.

'Oh, Lana, it's so pretty,' Kennedy gasped. She touched the green stone, running the chain through her fingers. 'I've never seen anything like it.'

'And you won't ever again,' said Lana, bringing her gaze up from the necklace to look at Kennedy. 'I haven't worn it in a long time. You've probably heard all about the meteor shower that hit Smallville.'

Kennedy nodded. 'Lex told me about it.'

'Well,' Lana paused to swallow, even to this day it was hard for her to talk about, 'then you probably also know that my parents were killed that day.'

Kennedy silently nodded, feeling a sudden heavy weight in the center of her chest.

'You might think this is ghoulish, but...the necklace is carved from the meteor rock that killed them. I figured since that day brought pain into so many lives, something beautiful should come out of it.'

'Lana.' Kennedy reached out and took hold of the other girl's hand, gently squeezing. 'I'm so sorry,' she gently said.

Through her mask of pain Lana managed to smile. 'It was a long time ago. Truth beknown, I didn't even know them. Not really. I was so small when it happened.'

'It doesn't stop you from loving them. They were your parents. I never knew my mother, she died after giving birth to me; so all I ever knew of her was photographs around the house and the books that she loved. But I felt her love around me every single day. I still do.'

Lana nodded her head. There were tears shining in her dark brown eyes. 'Yeah,' she said, 'I know exactly what you mean.' She drew herself up and sniffed back her tears. 'Oh, God. Okay, that's enough with the doom and gloom. I don't want to have to re-do your make-up, Missy,' she said with a mock-scowl.

Kennedy smiled, while Lana planted her hands on her shoulders and turned her around to face the mirror, while looping the necklace over Kennedy's head.

'Lana, I don't know about this,' she said. 'The necklace...it means so much to you.'

'Which is why I want you to wear it,' Lana said fastening the clasp and rearranging Kennedy's hair. 'There.'

The necklace was quite simply perfect. It further accentuated Kennedy's coloring and added to the sheer beauty of the satin dress. It glowed as Kennedy smiled at Lana in the mirror. The dress looked good and felt even better on her. She glided her hands over the satin skirt and felt the need to take a breath. She couldn't remember a time when she felt as special as she did right then.

'The dress, everything was made for you,' said Lana. 'I can't believe how perfect it is.'

She met Lana's eyes in the mirror. 'Now all I have to do is get through tonight.'

'Are you really that nervous?'

'I'm past the nervous stage and sliding into panic territory.'

Lana chuckled. 'I'm sure that the entire night is going to be as perfect as the dress.'

Kennedy sighed. 'I want it to be, I really do...'

Lana detected the apprehension in her voice and wondered if she was planning on talking to Lex about what had happened with his father. 'But...?'

'I'm not sure. I've been on a few dates in my time, Lana...but this...this feels different. I don't want to look like a fool or say or do something stupid.'

'I doubt you could ever do that,' Lana assured her. 'I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Lex clearly cares about you, Kennedy. Just be yourself.'

'I guess.'

'So,' Lana asked jauntily, 'do you know where he's taking you?'

'No idea.'

'Well, if I know Lex, it'll be somewhere high-class and incredibly expensive.'

'You're making me nervous again,' Kennedy said pressing a hand to my stomach.

Lana laughed. 'You're going to be fine.' She glanced at her watch and saw it was almost seven-thirty. 'I better get going. Wouldn't want you to be late for your big date,' she grinned, as she began clearing together all the stuff on the bed.

Kennedy turned away from the mirror to look at her. 'Lana?' she said, her voice tentative.

Lana looked up and smiled. 'What is it?'

'Thank you,' she said meaningfully.

'You don't have to thank me. It was fun.'

Kennedy nodded. 'Thing is, I've never really had a close friend. I find it hard to trust. Plus I never really hung around long enough anywhere to get to know someone. But since coming here to Smallville...there's you, Clark...'

'Lex,' Lana gently smiled.

'Lex,' Kennedy nodded and sighed.

'Like I told you today, how long we've known one another doesn't mean a thing. I feel close to you, Kennedy. And I really hope that our friendship is for keeps.'

'I'd like that,' Kennedy admitted. Even though Lionel Luthor and what he could or couldn't do was plaguing her thoughts.

Lana drew Kennedy into a brief but warm hug. 'Just relax and have an incredible evening.' She pulled back and smiled at her. 'You look sensational. Nothing's going to go wrong.'

Kennedy let go of a building sigh. 'Okay. I'll try.'

'And tomorrow you can tell me all about it. The clean and unabridged version will be just fine,' Lana said with a grin.

Kennedy pretended to look shocked, but she laughed and if only for a moment forgot all her troubles and began to look forward to the evening ahead.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 69 9
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 1} This is a short collection of moments where Lex Luthor finds a friend in the corporate world; Leaving h...
915 56 22
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 4} In the aftermath of the second meteor shower, Lex and Tyla find themselves in the middle of an all-out...
Fortress By Cece

Fanfiction

1.6K 113 19
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 2} From unexpected to unpredictable; It had been three months since Tyla had heard the news that Lex was d...
218K 4.8K 36
"I can smell your fear, Edwards. So I'll give you - and ONLY YOU - my ʀᴇᴀʟ answer to that stupid question Flag asked me back at Belle Reve. The only...