Smallville: Telekinetic (Lex...

By DebraJay

All she ever wanted was to belong. All she had to do was learn to trust. ___________________________________... More

Tilting at Windmills
Lonely Day
Everybody Hurts
Spybreak
Serendipity
Good Samaritan
Sittin' On Top of the World
Follow Me
Here in Pleasantville
What You Wanted
Rabbit Hole
Secret
Small Town, Big Hearts
Honey Drops
Hero in Green
From the Heart
Souvenir
Alright
Everything
Wrong Impression
Caught Inside
Far From Yesterday
Distance
My Father's Son
Green Butterfly
Glorious
IMPORTANT: Author's Note

Yesterday's Feelings

1.6K 51 1
By DebraJay

'...and y'know, I really didn't think I'd end up having so much fun,' Kennedy finished.

Lana smiled at her. They were both working the early shift at the Talon the next day and enjoying the lull before the lunch-time rush.

'You sound surprised,' noted Lana, as she began to slice a pistachio cream pie into equal sized portions.

Kennedy wiped out the drip tray on the espresso machine. 'Shame you couldn't make it.'

'Unfortunately one of the downsides to being a manager is having to do the work yourself when you don't have the staff,' said Lana. Then she shrugged. 'But I don't mind.'

'Clark's a funny guy when you get to know him,' said Kennedy casually, glancing across at Lana. She was hoping to see some sort of reaction from her at the mention of Clark's name. 

Lana lifted her eyes and smiled. 'I sometimes think the deep and serious side is just a front.'

'So you've known him a long time?'

Lana nodded. 'Since we were kids. I used to live with my Aunt in the house next to the Kent farm. So we pretty much grew up together.'

Kennedy knew that Lana had gone to live with her Aunt after her parents had been killed in the freak meteor shower that had hit Smallville. Maybe that was the reason Kennedy got along so well with the pretty dark-haired girl. In a lot of ways they were very similar. They had both lost their parents.

'So there's never been any romance?' Kennedy asked, knowing full well there hadn't.

Lana flushed only slightly then quickly shook her head. 'No. We're just friends. Clark and Chloe went out together one time and, I don't know, a part of me wonders if he still has feelings for her.'

'But if he didn't?'

Lana's eyebrows shot up. 'Well, I, I don't know. It's hard to imagine Clark and I as anything other than friends.'

It was fairly obvious that Lana had often thought about Clark the way he had her. Kennedy sighed. Love. It could be so frustrating.

'Why the sigh?' Lana asked.

'I was just thinking.'

'Do you need to talk?'

Kennedy smiled warmly at her. 'I'm good. So, did Chloe give you all the gory details from her date last night?'

Lana grinned. 'Yeah, she really likes Drew. They're going out again.'

'Pete'll be pleased to hear that.'

'He really likes her. It's a shame, because I think they'd make for a cute couple.'

'Love,' said Kennedy. 'It makes you wonder why people bother. It bites.'

Lana smiled. 'And a warm welcome back to Miss. Sceptical.'

Kennedy threw her a grin. 'You know what I mean.'

Lana thought of Whitney and how she thought they were meant to be. Then he had left for the Marines and everything had fallen apart. A few months later he had been killed in action.

A customer needing to be served soon pulled her out of the doldrums and while she did that, Kennedy finished off cleaning up the espresso machine before disappearing into the kitchen to see what needed to be done in there.

Lana had just served up a coffee and a slice of the pistachio cream pie she had just sliced when Lex came in and sauntered over to the counter. 'Hey,' she smiled.

'Lana,' he nodded at her. 'How's it going?'

'Great,' she said. 'Can I get you anything?' 

He sat down on a stool and pointed to the espresso machine. 'I'll have a double tall. With extra espresso.'

'Need the caffeine kick, huh?'

'It's been a long morning and it isn't over,' he said glancing around hoping to catch sight of Kennedy. He couldn't see her. 'Is Kennedy around?'

'In the kitchen,' Lana  told him as she prepared the coffee. 'By the way has she said anything to you about how long she's planning on staying?'

'I was under the impression it was just until she got herself back on her feet.'

'Right,' said Lana slightly disappointed.

Lex detected her apprehension. 'The two of you have become good friends.'

'Yeah. That and she's one of the best members of staff I ever had. Nothing is too much trouble for her,' she smiled. 'I like her. She's really nice. I hope she stays.'

Lex hoped so too. But he didn't say anything. Lana pushed the coffee towards him and he lifted it to his lips taking a drink. Out of the corner of his eye the kitchen door swung open and Kennedy came out carrying a tray of clean glasses. She saw him and seemed to stop for a moment, then she put down the tray and began to arrange the glasses carefully on the shelf behind the cash register.

'All done in the kitchen, Lana,' she said ignoring Lex.

'Great, thanks,' Lana replied.

Kennedy wiped her hands on the seat of her jeans and taking her notepad and pencil from her apron pocket, she went over to a customer who had just come in and sat at a nearby table.

Lana turned to Lex with a puzzled frown. 'Is everything okay?'

'Why wouldn't it be?'

'She doesn't normally blank you like that, Lex,' Lana pointed out.

No, thought Lex turning on the stool to look at Kennedy, she doesn't.

But of course he knew why.

He had been in the study taking a phone call when she arrived home the night before. She had slipped in and disappeared up to her room, and that morning eaten breakfast in the kitchen before leaving for work. She was avoiding him and he had to make things right again. He also knew he should just shrug it off, but when she had turned down his dinner invite and Clark had shown up to take her to the movies, a side of him he never knew existed had reared its ugly head. Jealousy was something Lex Luthor never had to contend with. Being the son of a very wealthy man he had never had any reason to feel the sting of the green-eyed monster. Whatever he wanted he was given.

Kennedy finished taking the customers order and then made her way back over to the counter, quickly averting her gaze from Lex before disappearing into the kitchen to hand in the order. Lana had also caught the exchange and even though she was curious, she didn't ask. That wasn't Lana's way. Lex's eyes were still on the kitchen door. But it was all soon forgotten as the Talon door swung open and Clark approached the counter, smiling at her.

'Hey,' he said.

'Hey, you,' she smiled back. 

'Hey, Lex.'

'Clark,' replied Lex with a nod.

Clark smiled across at Lana. 'Could I get a soda?'

'Sure.' She gave him a nod. 'Kennedy said the movie was good.'

'Yeah. I'm not that keen on action movies, but it was okay,' he shrugged.

'Not a big fan of superheros, Clark?' asked Lex, bemused.

'It depends on whether or not they're believable as real people and not just characters.'

Lex smiled. 'Vin Diesel. He's hardly your Don Quixote. Or Warrior Angel, for that matter.'

Clark gave him a sideways smile. He knew that the Warrior Angel comics from an early age and during the period after his mother's death, had been somewhat reassuring to Lex. He owned an original, first-edition panel from the comic as well as a full run of every issue. One to read, one to keep. He had once told Clark that the superhero Angel who saved the world from evil was his idol, partially because he was bald.

'Unlike Warrior Angel, Don Quixote was real,' pointed out Clark. 'And believable.'

'The man was a fool.'

Knowing Clark's passion for Don Quixote and Dulcinea the great, true love of his life, Lana sensed a heated discussion and was glad to see customers who needed serving. 'Excuse me, gentlemen,' she deftly said, picking up her notepad and disappearing to a table just taken by three young girls.

Clark looked at Lex. 'Because he was in love?'

'Why do relationships always have to be about love, Clark? Sometimes they're about mutual goals,' said Lex.

He made it sound like a game. And Clark felt quite sad for Lex knowing he'd never managed or wanted for that matter, to experience the magical feeling of being in love with another. He knew there was a connection between his cynicism and his mother's death. So maybe Lex was afraid, or maybe he was just incapable of engaging with others emotionally. With Lionel Luthor as a father, he had learned a lot about relationships seeded with mistrust.

'What's so bad about love anyway? Love can be a pretty great feeling when it's with the right person,' said Clark.

'I plan on being great all by myself,' said Lex with a wry smile. 'I decided a long time ago not to let my passion get the better of me. Love isn't everything. Aside from being pretentious and volatile, it can also be very smothering and damaging. Take you and Lana for instance.'

Clark looked quickly at him, feeling his cheeks burn. 'Me and Lana?'

'The furtive glances, the coy smiles. What's it all for, Clark? If you're so up on love, why aren't you doing anything to win your maiden's heart?'

Clark lowered his eyes and glanced down at the counter-top. 'It's complicated.'

Lex nodded. 'Which is why I don't concern myself with such an intangible emotion. Some people are just better off alone. But I have to say, I admire the way you restrain yourself around her, Clark. Even with the quarterback gone. It must be frustrating to have so much control when you want something so bad. I commend you. If you'd allow it, that Kent charm of yours will take you far.' He took another drink of coffee and looked at him. 'So, tell me, what's your vested interest in Kennedy?' 

Clark was surprised by the sudden turn in conversation. 'My interest? What do you mean?'

Lex shrugged. 'Is it just friendly or something else?'

'When did you start taking an interest in my personal life?'

'I've always been interested in your personal life, Clark. You know that,' Lex said with a slow smile.

Clark knew he was referring to the day they had first met. The day on the bridge. Ever since then Lex had been curious about the "strange" events of that day and him.

'She's just a friend,' Clark told him.

'Like Lana?' Lex lifted one eyebrow expectantly while he waited for an answer and Clark felt himself flush slightly.

'No,' he said quickly. 'Not like Lana.' He picked up his soda and took a drink. Even after all this time Lex still managed to make him feel like a kid. And it seemed he knew all the buttons to push, too.

'I apologise Clark,' Lex said. 'That was out of line. I guess you really do have eyes for only one girl. Now that's tangible.'

Clark just sighed. 'I don't think I'll ever understand you, Lex.'

'All part of my charm.'

'I know you're just looking out for Kennedy, but you don't have to worry, she can look after herself.'

'I'm aware of that.' But then he was reminded of the day in the library and the sad look in her eyes and he wondered if she really could after all.

'Besides,' Clark went on, 'even if I was interested in her that way, I get the feeling she kind of likes someone else. She was asking me questions about you.'

Lex's interest piqued. He glanced at Clark, one eyebrow lifting. 'Really? What did you tell her?' Now he was really curious. If she was so interested in him then why turn down his offer of dinner?

'The truth. That you were a spoilt playboy who viewed love as a foolish and careless whim, preferring to use women for his own pleasure and discarding them when he grows bored. Oh, and if she had any sense at all, to stay well clear of you.'

Lex gave a short laugh and shook his head. 'With friends like you, huh, Clark?'

Clark smiled. 'I think she likes you. Although,' he added casting him a furtive glance, 'I can't imagine why.'

'Okay,' said Lex good-naturedly. 'You've had your little high school fun.'

'Can I ask you something?'

'I can't promise I'll give you a honest answer. My reputation is already sullied.'

'Why did you invite her to stay at the mansion?'

'She had nowhere else to go.'

'It's a little unorthodox though. For you, I mean.'

Lex appeared amused. 'You know, beneath this shallow surface there does, believe it or not, lie a human being with an actual soul.'

'A human being who has distinctly twisted views on the concept of love,' added Clark.

Lex smiled and gave a brief shake of his head. 'Twisted?'

'What are you getting out of it, Lex?'

'What makes you think I'm getting anything at all?'

Clark looked at him. 'Come on. We both know there's a hidden agenda here. It's not every day Lex Luthor takes in a strange girl because he's feeling charitable.'

Lex gave a short laugh. 'You know, Clark, these Hallmark moments of ours aren't as touching as they once seemed.'

Just then the kitchen door swung open and Kennedy reappeared. If she'd seen him or Clark, she didn't acknowledge either of them. Lex followed her with his eyes as she busied herself clearing and wiping down vacant tables, every now and then pushing back an unruly lock of hair from her face.

'Lex?' enquired Clark.

Lex stood up and gave Clark a quick friendly slap on the shoulder. 'Always enjoy the verbal judo, Clark. Now if you'll excuse me,' he said and made his way over to where she was, slipping his hands in his pockets. She was bent over a table cleaning it down and when she saw the expensive trousers and leather shoes, knew immediately it was him.

'Kennedy.'

Taking a breath she carried on wiping, but didn't lift her head. 'What is it?'

'I think we need to talk.'

'About?'

'I think you know.'

She moistened her lips, then straightened up and met his eyes. 'I'm working, Lex.'

'It won't take long,' he said, taking one hand out of its pocket and gesturing to the chair beside her. 'Won't you sit down?' He pulled out the chair for her and she sat. He sat at the other side of the table. 'I know you've been avoiding me, Kennedy,' he said. 'And I want to make things right between us. I can't take back what I asked you yesterday and to be honest, even if I could, I wouldn't.'

'Lex...'

'But at the same time,' he went on. 'The last thing I want is to upset you. And obviously, I did.'

'You didn't upset me.'

They both knew he had and she was only trying to dismiss it.

'You obviously misread my intention. When I asked you to dinner there was nothing untoward about it. I merely thought it would be a pleasant way to spend some time together, that's all. I don't want you to think bad of me, Kennedy. There are enough people around here who already take first place in that category. What I do want, is for things to go back to the way they were.'

She slowly nodded her head. 'I want that, too.'

'I'm glad,' he said. 'And I repeat everything I said to you that first night. I only want to be your friend. I don't want anything from you. So I trust we can put this behind us and go back to the way it was?'

His blue eyes were looking at her with such intent. She searched his face for a sign of insincerity. Deceit. She found none. 'We can,' she said quietly.

The relief flooded through him. 'Good.'

'I should get on.'

'I'll see you at home?'

Home.

A strange feeling ran through her, but she nodded anyway, before moving onto the next table to be bussed.

Lex was somewhat confused. He didn't understand why she would ask Clark questions about his personal life if she wasn't interested in him the way he was her. Whatever was going on with her, it was deep rooted. Whether or not he would ever get to the bottom of it would remain to be seen.

And as for his little "only friends" speech, that was some part he had played. He didn't feel good about himself. But he couldn't risk upsetting her anymore. He would just have to let things take their course, and forget how he had been feeling these last few days. He had been spouting off to Clark about how foolish and volatile love could be and how it was an emotion he would never allow himself to be wrapped in, when all along he knew that the way he felt about Kennedy was anything but a simple friendly interest.

Feeling like he had just lost something, without even having it in the first place, he turned and made his way out of the Talon, climbed into his car and hitting fifth gear he sped towards home.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 69 9
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 1} This is a short collection of moments where Lex Luthor finds a friend in the corporate world; Leaving h...
218K 4.8K 36
"I can smell your fear, Edwards. So I'll give you - and ONLY YOU - my ʀᴇᴀʟ answer to that stupid question Flag asked me back at Belle Reve. The only...
8.7K 293 20
Disclaimer: I don't own pics or music or show
389 36 11
"Who are you? And what do you want?" "To help." "Help whom?" •••••••••• When a mysterious archer shows up one day in Smallville, being just in time t...