Just Kidding | ✔️

By LifeofmegXO

After her parent's death Kyla Daniel's view on life changed completely. The one thing that didn't though was... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1: This Is No Fairytale
Chapter 2: Not An Act
Chapter 3: The Partner
Chapter 4: Two problems
Chapter 5: Game On
Chapter 6: Old Rivals
Chapter 7: A Gloomy School Day
Chapter 8: Dawson
Chapter 9: A Living Nightmare
Chapter 10: Rage
Chapter 11: Lavender
Chapter 12: Grandma's Banana Bread
Chapter 13: Touché
Chapter 14: Slumber Party
Chapter 15: Pizza Delivery
Chapter 16: Creep
Chapter 17: Irresistible?
Chapter 18: A Day On The Beach
Chapter 20: More Than Friends
Chapter 21: Detour
Chapter 22: Hush
Chapter 23: Periwinkle
Chapter 24: Adult Figures
Chapter 25: How Tragic
Chapter 26: Restless
Chapter 27: She's Come Undone
Chapter 28: Longing
Chapter 29: Family?
Chapter 30: Sweater Weather
Chapter 31: Turkey Day
Chapter 32: Missing Him
Chapter 33: Pizza Dinner
Chapter 34: She Broke Him
Chapter 35: Envy
Chapter 36: "I'm back baby"
Chapter 37: Home Alone
Chapter 38: Touch
Chapter 39: F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Chapter 40: Football Practice
Chapter 41: The Hoodie
Chapter 42: H O M E
Chapter 43: First Snow Fall
Chapter 44: Finally Finals
Chapter 45: Winter Break
Chapter 46: Always
Chapter 47: Cooper & Cookies
Chapter 48: Christmas Day
Chapter 49: Snickers
Chapter 50: Happy New Year
Chapter 51: Desire
Chapter 52: BLEED
Chapter 53: First Day Back
Chapter 54: The Truth
Chapter 55: Cherry Blossom Trees
Chapter 56: The Ache
Chapter 57: Secrets Unfold
Chapter 58: Just Kidding
Chapter 59: At Sunrise
Chapter 60: No Turning Back
Chapter 61: To Build A Home
Chapter 63: Everlasting Love
Chapter 64: One Last Touch
Chapter 65: Happily Ever. . .
Chapter 66: Anywhere But Here
Love, Kyla
Authors note
Bonus Chapter
Q&A

Chapter 19: That Look

62.2K 1.7K 217
By LifeofmegXO

    As soon as Riley dropped me off at home I marched right upstairs and I took a long ass nap. Waking up just now to the sound of cheering and laughter isn't the way I pictured my awakening to be.

    Sitting up in bed I'm surrounded by darkness and that alone tells me it's night time. One glimpse at my cellphone that reads the time only to find out it's quarter past nine, I'm shoving the covers off and storming out of my bedroom. Too tired to sit around and listen to the ongoing sounds of chatter from downstairs. 

   "Blake!" I yell. Padding across the hardwood floors, their cold on my bare feet as well as the air is on my exposed body. A pair of boxer briefs and a tank top does nothing to shield me from the blast of cool air emitting from the vents. "Blake!" I scream yet again, stomping into the living room where I'm about to raise my voice a third time but stop short when I realize. . .My brother isn't alone.

    "Cooper? What in the-" I turn to my brother who pauses the football game to look at me. Currently the cheerleader I'd seen him talking to quite a few times with luscious waves, is cuddled up in his arms. She smiles at me, almost gratefully. She's the only girl here it seems, between my brother and Cooper that's a lot to handle. "Why is he here?" I point to my frenemy. It's starting to stick I'll admit.

    "Since football season is starting, I thought he and I could watch the game and Amber here tagged along."

    "Hi Amber." I wave and when my eyes fall upon Cooper, it's hard to ignore his gaze already set on me. Working it's way up and down the length of my body. Throwing my arms over my chest self consciously I point a finger to the door. "Bye Cooper."

    "Hello to you too, Daniels." He grins.
    "Ugh. Blake! Please get him out. I don't want this vermin in my home, spreading his filth everywhere." 
    "Why don't you go put some clothes on?" Blake scoffs at me, turning on the t.v and drowning out my groans and grumbles.

    It's fine Kyla, just take a sleeping pill and go back to sleep. I tell myself when making my way towards the kitchen. Reaching into the cabinet overhead the sink I rifle around for the bottle and once I've got a hold on it, I screw open the cap and my heart sinks. There's only one pill left. I usually take two.

    Oh God. I can't sleep, I won't sleep!

    "You okay?" The familiar voice of Cooper has me looking up from the little blue pill in my palm. I see him standing at the doorway of the kitchen watching me with an expression that's unknown to me.

    "Huh? Yeah, why?" I blink away, turning around to grab a glass and fill it with water. How long was I standing there staring at my hand like a lunatic? I wonder.

    "What's that?" Cooper ignores my question and instead steps further into the kitchen, hooking his finger towards the pill.

   "This is Uh. . .birth control?" I pop it in my mouth and swallow meanwhile curious Cooper over here reaches for the bottle before I can hide it and he's observing the small print.

    His eyes meet mine, a grey storm within. Gosh, his eyes are so incredible. "What do you need sleeping pills for?"

    "I used to need them just solely because I am a terrible sleeper." I laugh breathlessly, chugging the rest of the water I wipe the back of my hand over my mouth and set the glass in the sink. "Well those reasons aren't really your business."

     "I presume they don't work. Seeing as you're falling asleep in class all the time." He suggests. Is it weird to say that I can fall asleep at school knowing he's around easier than I can fall asleep in my own bed? Probably. So I don't say anything at all. Instead I nod.

     "Right, well. I'll see you Monday, Daniels."

     "See you Monday."

  • • •

    The rest of the weekend flies by and next thing I know it's Monday morning. I managed to finish my homework, but of course without the sleeping pills my sleep has been jacked up. Especially after Dawson appeared in my most vicious of nightmares last night. Thankfully my brother was there to hold me when I woke up but I couldn't sleep the rest of the night after that.

     Hopping into Riley's car wearing an oversized hoodie and track shorts, I must look as terrible as I feel because immediately she says. "Rough night?"

    "I've been up since two in the morning. So yeah, just a bit." I buckle myself in and lean against the window.

    "Just go to sleep. I'll wake you when we get to school." She rubs my back and I nod but sleep still doesn't come and when we make it to school, the dislike for this place only intensifies.

     Riley and I meet up with Chloe in the halls who's currently sucking Chris' face clean off. "Can you please keep it PG on school grounds? For the sake of the children." I groan, massaging my temples.

     As Riley and Chloe go on and on about boys, I find myself locating one in particular. Just at the opposite side of the hall Cooper is leant against his locker beside Vienna Rose. Her hands cling to his body, tracing over his every defined muscle. As I watch this, some part of me, the lonely and female part of me. . .wants to reach out and touch him too.

    I'd be lying if I said over this past weekend things haven't changed between he and I because they have, drastically as a matter of fact. He saved me and better yet he's shown a sort of concern for me. But this tingly sensation I get when looking at him or when he's near? That's growing by the second and I am dreading the day when I can't contain it any longer.

     Vivian's breasts are pressed firmly against Cooper's chest as he merely chats with Aaron at his side. Ignoring the attention seeking girl at his hip.

    You know, I understand why Cooper is so popular with the ladies, not only are the rumors of his high sex drive and ability to please a girl in bed, all positive but-God I hate myself for saying this. . .he's gorgeous. No matter how much I dislike the boy, his beautiful grey eyes and ruffled brown locks are beyond alluring to me.

     His eyes suddenly flicker to mine that I'm entirely caught off guard. Gasping, I turn away and come face to face with Riley who's already smirking at me.

    "What?" I scoff.

     "Nothing. Just you and Cooper eye-fucking each other from across the hall."

    "I wouldn't say it was that extreme-" I begin.

    "Oh, it totally was." Chloe cackles.

     "You may not want to admit it now, but you're starting to like him." Riley pokes my cheek. I snatch her hand away. "No I am not! Take it back."

     "Don't worry sweetheart." Chloe massages my shoulders. "I think he's starting to like you as well."

     "Are you high?" I shrug away from my friends. They must be high because this is the most absurd conversation I've had with them yet. "We are talking about the same Cooper right? He'd run me over with a truck before ever even admitting he's capable of feeling things with that cold heart of his."

   "Shape up you ho." Chloe scowls, punching me in the boob. Hard.

    "Ow!" Holding my chest, I whine. "What the hell was that for?"

    "You're being a little bitch." Chloe throws her fist into my other boob. I grab ahold of myself and turn away from her.

    "Stop it!" I yell.

    "If I were you I'd stop complaining. I mean, you're the luckiest damn girl in the world to have Cooper fucking Rhodes look at you like that." Riley zips up her jacket.

    "Like what?" I ask.

    "Like you're his only salvation."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32 50 24
This book is all about a sixteen year old girl, Hailey Addison...a girl whose parents died a very long time ago...by accident or maybe not by acciden...
674 387 50
Violet is in her sophomore year in high school and is trying to get through it with her best friends on her side . her father died when she was just...
1.1M 23.9K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
124K 4.3K 93
Katherine Reynolds and Erik Jones couldn't be any more different. White/black, Upper class/lower class, sweet and innocent/dangerous and corrupt. Th...