The Long and Winding Road

By PaperbackWriter63

John and Paul fic. Prologue: Someone didn't want the Beatles to be forgotten...and so he had 4 clone eggs cr... More

Chapter 1 - John
Chapter 2 - Paul
Chapter 3 - John Meets New Friends
Chapter 4 - Paul's Help
Chapter 5 - John's Decision
Chapter 6 - John Finds a 'Home'
Chapter 7- Paul's Escape
Chapter 8 - John's New Companions
Chapter 9 - New Home
Chapter 10 - A Little More Insight
Chapter 11 - Note For John
Chapter 12 - Free At Last?
Chapter 13 - Just A Normal Day...
Chapter 14 - First Day Of School
Chapter 15 - Good Summer Days Turn into Bad Ones
Chapter 16 - New Everything!
Chapter 17 - Only The Beginning
Chapter 18 - Paul's Accident...
Chapter 20 - Excepted
Chapter 21 - Captured in Paris
Chapter 22 - "George"
Chapter 23 - Paul and a Gun
Chapter 24 - Tragedy
Chapter 25 - Paul is Out!
Chapter 26 - "Its All My Fault"
Chapter 27 - Tell Me Why
Chapter 28 - With A Little Help From My Friends
Chapter 29 - Paul's Birthday (pt 1)
Chapter 30 - Paul's Birthday (pt 2)
Chapter 31 - Serious Accidents
Chapter 32 - (Continued from Chapter 31)
Chapter 33 - A Brilliant Idea!
Chapter 34 - Problem Solved
Chapter 35 - Admitted to the Hospital
Chapter 36 - Dance Reunion
Chapter 37 - Two For the Price of One
Chapter 38 - Help Me If You Can
Chapter 39 - Paul Is Dead Hoax, true or not?
Chapter 40 - A Fateful End
Chapter 41 - Safe?
Chapter 42 - Telling Them The Truth
Chapter 43 - Puzzle is Coming Together
Chapter 44 - The Last Chapter

Chapter 19 - 'Little' Surprises

220 3 2
By PaperbackWriter63

John's POV

---

"John..wake up darling." I heard my mum whisper softly to me.

I opened my eyes slowly and looked up at her. She gave me a smile.

"Can you come downstairs. I want to tell you all something."

"Us all?" I asked sitting up.

"You boys, the girls already know."

Girls always know everything first, typical. Anyways, i followed mum downstairs and we went to the table. Marin and Richie were doing a puzzle, almost finished infect. Paul was leaning on the table messing around on his Ipod and George was, just coming down the stairs with Ashley. I think George liked her, but i don't know if its okay to like your sister if she's not really your sister...that didn't make sense. Nevermind.

"How are you, Paulie?" I asked him sitting down and looking over his shoulder.

"Fine. Waiting." He said quickly, but softly.

"Well, boys." Mum said and sat down. Paul flicked his Touch off and placed it in his pocket. He placed his elbows on the table and leaned his head on her shoulder.

"I've been doing some research, and well, realized why you are being threatened and all." Mum began.

"I know, my dad is in on it." I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Why are we being threatened?" George asked.

"Well, a long time ago-"

"This aint gonna be a fantasy story now is it?" George asked quickly.

"No." Mum smiled.

"I wouldn't mind a fantasy story!" I grinned.

"This will be history." Marin told me.

"What...oh i for got mum told you before me." I mumbled and poked her arm.

"John!" Marin exclaimed, pulling her arm away.

"That couldn't of hurt that bad."

"John, Marin, please stop. Now, back in the 60s. Close to 70s. You all grew up knowing Mariah's favourite bands right?" Mum asked us.

"I know it was Queen! We..." George looked at me and shook his head. "I mean then the other band was...Beatles."

"Thats right." Mariah smiled and sat down with some tea and her collage books.

"Wow George..." I mumbled. He just glared at me and continued to listen to mum.

---------

Paul's POV

--

"Anyways," Mum folded her hands and swallowed. "Well, i think first ill start with this."

"What?" I asked, my vision seemed to be going in and out.

"Well, first, would of never of thought to get you four."

"No?" I asked. "You mean you-"

"Paul. Let me finish. I was told to come and get you lads. I don't know who by but they said you really need help. That was partially true. George was almost starved to death, Paul wasn't mature, Though you two were just fine, or seemed fine." Mum pointed to John and Richie.

"Were you lying then, when you...i mean..." I couldn't think of what to say exactly. She was probably stuck with us. Who knows.

"No, I saw George first and he was ill, as you all found out that night. And i did want to get you other three, because thats what i feared, but i was wrong. But i was told to get you boys. So i did, and im glad i did."

"So you wouldn't of even thought of adopting?" George asked.

"Nope. But im glad i did." She patted my head. "And so, the people who told me to get you all said they were people who went to orphanage to orphanage, and then got a random address. Then that night i got you all home and you were in bed, your father checked the mail and we had gotten a note from the same anonymous people. They said some gibberish. But what was strange is that our address was on it, but the name was wrong. We had a feeling these people weren't...well, right. If you know what i mean."

"Drunks?" John asked.

"Yeah...anyways- Paul do you want some Tylenol?" Mum asked me.

"Yes, please." I nodded.

Mariah got up and got some for me. Mum went on with the story.

"But also what got my curiosity was your names."

"Our names?" George asked.

"Yes, George Harrison, John Lennon...and thats where the part comes in."

"Yeah?" George scooted his chair closer, he looked at mum eagerly.

"Now im going to start with the history."

"Ah." John moaned. "Cant we get to the exciting part?"

"Ah, but John this is going to interest you a lot. Because it involves you."

"Me?"

"Not you exactly but, you."

John had a look of confusion on his face. I had to laugh at that. I loved seeing John confused.

"Back in the 1940s, in Liverpool, four boys were born..."

"The four are us right?" George grinned.

"She said that 40s George." John glared at him.

"Well...we could of time traveled!"

"Possibly." Mariah giggled.

"Anyways. The boys' last names were Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starkey, later known as Starr."

"My last name changes?" Richie asked.

"Listen." Mum patted his arm. "These boys aren't you at all. Well, they are you...but anyways."

"Here, John who does this look like?" Mariah asked and handed John her phone. I couldn't see but it was a picture of a person.

"Why, it looks like...Paul!" John looked at me then the picture on the phone.

"Then this." Mariah's thumb slid across the screen, i was now looking at it, along with John.

I gapped at the picture. It was John, but not only John, but the same man i remember from childhood, who saved me. Infact, John looked exactly like him.

"Then this is the Beatles." Mariah showed us another picture. My eyes immediately went to the first face on the dark cover. John's. Then the next one, looked like...this, or we were related to the Beatles?

"So are you saying we're related to them and their still alive?" I asked.

"I think it was...1967, a man, knowing you would break up later, I mean the Beatles that is, did something. Now, i don't know the man, but he wanted the Beatles to be remembered al threw history, and make a reunion possibly. So what he did, and without the Beatles knowing, he did something to clone the boys later on...

----

FLASHBACK, 1967

"Hurry up Paul, we better get this over with..." John grunted and slipped his coat on. George and Ringo were already heading out to the car. Paul hurried with his shoes and walked out with John. They were driven to the doctors.

"Glad you could make it lads. Now this is important. Who is wiling to take shots first?" The man asked.

All four boys pointed to each other. The man sighed and took Paul first.

"No, please, couldn't the oldest go first?" Paul pleaded.

"Hes scared of needles." John sat still in his chair.

"Its not gonna hurt that bad. Now come on."

"Thats what they all say."

"No, seriously." The man pulled Paul into the doctors lab. A lab yes.

John was becoming a bit worried when he heard moans and a couple screams from Paul. What were they doing to him?

George thought the same and looked at Ringo, who just sat there fiddling with his rings.

"Next."

Paul hurried out and sat next to George with a sigh of relief. He was then attached with questions.

"I have know idea!"

ONce the boys were all done they headed back. All confused. They had never had all that happen to them. Felt a bit strange.

"Now, we just have to put this in the right generation." The man told the lab technicians. He then put his caot and hat on and left.

---------

BACK

..."Your mother's were related to the Beatles in fact. As you know by your last names. But they were chosen to carry you. The man never knew what they would be like so thats what happened. You all came from the Beatles themselves. You have their exact DNA."

"We're the Beatles? We're supposed to become famous, just like them?" John asked his eyes wide.

"Yes."

"Thats why people look at me funny!" John grinned.

"Now, is there something vie missed...." Mum went over things in her head.

I wanted to ask something but it was to much of a shock. Then something did come to me.

"Mum, what did the real Paul, i mean, the Beatle Paul, how was his parents?"

"Very nice. Though his mother died when he was 14, he had a brother, younger brother, and later an older sister. When his dad remarried. His sister, Ruth, was already 6 when Paul's dad married their step-mother."

"Ruth?" That name seemed so familiar to me. Then it struck me. Was my life vise-versa to this Paul's? To me he had a better life then me. "Was his brother named, MIcheal?" I asked, for that was my older brother's name.

"Yes. Did you have siblings Paul?" Marin asked.

I nodded, long lost siblings. Probably will never see them again. I don't even remember what they look like.

"I never knew you had siblings." Ashley looked sorry for me.

"I don't think...they cared...much." I mumbled.

"its alright, Paul." Mum hugged me.

"So, we were cloned from the Beatles. So every song we right...will have already been written?" John twirled his fingers around.

"Yes." mum nodded.

"So its useless?"

"No. You can still write, and mark them as Lennon/McCartney. You can just be known as a coverband."

"I dont like cover bands much." George shook his head.

"But George we will sing just like them and look JUST like them!" John was really getting excited, i could tell.

"Okay, and to the threats." Mum finally said. John slumped in his chair.

"Oh i forgot about this part..." He face-palmed himself.

"Their are people who don't want you to create the Beatles again."

"Why not?" Richie asked.

"Don't know. You will probably ruin all the other people's music. Like your originals did. They were the best in the world."

"Are we exactly like them?" George asked.

"Yes, exactly, like them."

"Sweet!"

"Thats why i don't want you telling people your last names. Mainly because, even though a lot of people don't know who the Beatles are, there are a few that do."

"Oh i see! That girl who accidentally tripped Paul hugged me and said i was alive and all...why did she say i was alive?" John asked.

"Well it is 2020s you know!" George replied.

"We would be old wouldn't we..." John said thoughtfully.

"Is there any chance in seeing my siblings?" I asked.

"Paul! How could you ask such a personal question! You are ignoring all we say!" John exclaimed.

"Sorry...im just wondering..." I don't think John really cared, but i know he would in the end. I mean i knew he really did care. Just didn't show it at this moment.

"Now, everything that happened to the Beatles back then wont happen to you in your future. You all have different lives."

"How was my childhood?" John asked.

"Well, John, your original lived with his aunt. His parents split up. Mainly because your mum thought your dad was dead, so she found another man and...then your dad came back, but before that your aunt told her older sister that John cant live with her. So he lived with Mimi, while his mother started a new family. And then his mother died when he was 17. Then, well before that he met Paul. Then later George then in 60 Ringo."

"Wow." John grinned. "Thats a tough life. Im glad im not there."

"Yes. Me too. Now anymore questions?" Mum asked.

"This is confusing." I put my head in my hands. But pulled them off. My face was scratched up and that hurt. I had forgotten what happened today.

"Well, you can just think about it okay?" Mum patted me on the back. "Want to go rest Paulie?"

I shook my head and took another drink. "Um,"

"Yes?" Mum looked at me.

"Uh, w-i mean, can, wont we have to label ourselves as Williams?"

"Not necessarily. If you are a coverband then people may just call you McCartney and Lennon."

"Why are the men really just trying to hurt John and Paul?" George asked.

"Because, if it wasn't for them, John more, the Beatles would never have started."

"Oh. How did Ge-the other GEorge come into the band?" George asked again.

"Though Paul."

"Oh, so it was really those two."

"And he got excepted because he was a great guitar player?" John asked. This was true, George, our George, was a great guitar player. Better then me and John honestly. He was great at creating riffs and all that stuff. Im doing bass cos John said we needed a bassist. Besides im terrible at lead guitar. I tried it and i just messed up.

"Yes."

"Was that a complement to me, John?" George smiled.

"Sort of...yeah..." John smirked.

"Anyways, thats a enough of that, your cousins will be here for dinner so John and George, you better get your room cleaned." Mum stood up.

"Oh no..." I frowned. I didn't want them to see me this way.

"Oh come now, Paul, don't be embarrassed, your pretty little face can be messed up a bit cant it?" John smirked.

"John..." I closed my eyes and hit him in the stomach. But not to hard.

"John. Go clean your room."

"What about Paul and Rich? And the girls?"

"Paul keeps his side clean, Richie has hardly been home. The girls already cleaned their room."

"Fine. Come ed Georgie." john and George headed upstairs.

"Want to...play cards, Paul?" Richie asked me.

"No thanks." I mumbled. I didn't feel real well.

"Well don't sulk." Marin said.

"Its just like him, to be this way when something is wrong with him." Richie shuffled the deck and dealer out cards for him and Marin.

"Want to do something with me?" Mariah asked me.

I thought for a moment. "Like what?"

"Want me to show you something?" She smiled.

"Okay."

"Lets go to the play room."

"rec room i like that better." I chuckled.

We went up there and she got her Mac out. Got YouTube up and typed in something.

"This is the Beatles movie. Called 'A Hard Days Night'" Mariah told me.

"Cool." This was interesting. They made a movie as well huh. I leaned my head on her shoulder and curled my feet under me on the couch. She put her arm around me.

"Will you get married soon?" I randomly asked. I don't know why, i was just wondering. Mariah was a wonderful girl, and she has almost graduated.

"Uh, i don't know. Why do you ask."

"I was just wondering. It was random. Oh i've heard this song play, i like it." I smiled, the one, who looked like George, fell over. Which kind of reminded me of my fall. But he got right back up.

"Thats George, John and Ringo."

"Can i call Rich, Ringo?" I asked, smiling.

"Ask him."

Well, we got till they were just leaving the train, so far it was pretty good. I mean that was really how John was, pretty amazing. He was very good at being witty and crazy when he wanted to. Anyways, we had to go downstairs because our cousins were here. I haven't seen them in like years. Honestly, probably 3 or more years. Okay, wait, lets see....4 and a half years. We have just communicated over the phone. They live in the USA so we are kind of far.

One of the girls, Helen, we made a song for her, or recorded a song. By Taylor Swift, which i had to sing. I always get stuck with girl songs. Well some arent that bad. But id rather sing ones i like! But its for out cousin. The kids are Hellen, Ashley's age, or she may just be 12..., Esther, 19 or so, then Dylan, he's, um, between me and John...maybe, im not sure. Im not sure about a lot of these. They will be staying with us for a bit, so ill learn. But im a bit nervous, more nervous then i usually am, well, less nervous then i usually am.

"Ill be down in a bit." I told Mariah. She nodded, i could see in her eyes that she understood what i really wanted to do.

"We'll be eating in a bit though."

"Yeah just call me." I told her and went to the bedroom. John was just throwing the last of his stuff under the bed when i entered.

"There all clean!"

"Yeah, right, then mum is gonna take all that out from the bed, and closet, and tell you to clean it up neatly."

"I did no such thing!" John frowned.

I rolled my eyes and looked under the bed. "Yeah i see..."

"Oh please."

"Ill clean it Johnny." I told him.

"Why?" John asked.

"Because, you can go see them." I pointed over my shoulder carelessly.

"Oh Paul, come on get out of that...shell of yours. Your going to have to get over it if we become famous."

"But haven't you seen...me and Mariah started watching a video by them and their being chased by a bunch of girls and boys. And i mean A LOT!"

"Seriously? They were that famous huh?"

"Yeah, to the looks of it." 

The door opened and in came Dylan. Me and John both stared at the drastically changed boy. Seriously he had no clothes style at all and his hair was in a small Mohawk type thing. This wasn't the Dylan I remember, but then again people can change, really fast, and Dylan is a good example. 

"Hhi." John said hesitantly. 

"Hey, your John right? And this is...George?" he looked at me. 

"Paul."  

"Oh yeah! Sorry." 

"So, um..." John searched for something to say. 

"You play guitar? Sweet, can I play it?" Dylan asked. John nodded and handed him the instrument. 

"What music do you like?" he asked John. I went to sit next to John. 

"Me? Uh...all types...pretty much. Do you write your own stuff?" John asked. 

"No. Do you?" 

"Yeah." 

"Show me something!" he handed John the guitar. John looked at me like he wasn't sure what to do. 

"Is a cover okay? Because I can't really do the others with out my brothers." John chuckled. 

"Sure! I wanna see you play is all. Then Paul!"  

"Nno." I said quickly. 

"No?" 

"He doesn't feel up to it." 

"Oh. What happened to your face?" 

"Uh. Dog." I mumbled.  

"Alright I'm gonna do this song." John spoke. He stood up and strummed away. Then began the chords to 'Johnny B Goode'. 

"That's a cover?" Dylan ask after John finished. The girls and the other two boys had joined us.  

"Chuck Berry!" John looked at Dylan a bit annoyed. 

"Who?" 

"Chuck Berry, from the 1950s. Know body knows!" John threw up his arms. 

"You listen to that old stuff? Blah." Dylan made a disgusted face. 

"Well what do you listen to?" John asked. 

"Paul you better have better taste then him." Dylan turned to me. I shook my head. 

"My brothers have a good taste in music!" Marin frowned. "And you don't know who-" Marin covered her mouth and continued to stay quiet. I had a feeling she was going to tell who we were.  

"They like people from the 1950s though." Hellen said. 

"We like the Beatles!" John smirked. It was true, as a kid I always liked their song. Just didnt know who they were. 

"Boy, there still real old..." Dylan shook his head.

"What do you recommend?" George asked.

"Want to listen, ill introduce you to some!"

"I...i guess." John said

"Do you have the CD?" Helen asked, a bit excited.

"yeah. Here." John pulled it from his dresser and handed it to her.

"Thanks." 

The girls left to go answer it. Dylan placed his Ipod on John's dock. He looked around for something, and then found it. What played was some one just screaming into the...or out of the speakers.

"Whats that?" John asked a bit surprised.

"Its called Screamo."

"Screamo?" I asked.

"Yeah, Paul, if you don't like it you can get out."

"Uh, okay..." 

"Dylan!" John frowned. He didn't always have to come to my rescue. I was old enough.

"Uh, mum's calling me i better go see her." I said, just to get out of here.

"I didn't hear her."

"Well, i heard her." I hurried out of the room. But heard John ask him why he did that.

"Paul, tell everyone to come downstairs." Mum told me from below.

"Come ed we have to eat." I told everyone. 

"Paul, I love your voice!" Helen smiled.

"Oh, thanks."

"Can you do more of your songs? I actually love this whole CD! Are you gonna put it out?"

"No, we might to create a cover band for the Beatles." I smiled.

"Oh, I've really never heard them." 

"You should." I nodded and hurried downstairs with John. 

We had dinner, the girls went back upstairs, i went to go do something with Richie. Better then not doing anything. I don't think Dylan liked me. He just liked John, because, well for one John is closer to his age, and 'cooler' i guess. 

--

Dylan slept in our room, mean time i slept with John. I could tell he was getting a bit annoyed by me doing this, but i just felt..scared. I mean i have nightmares and its just been scaring me. I think something is wrong with me and im just not told. Though tonight John really didn't seem like he was annoyed, he seemed like he was worried.

"Whats wrong Paul?" He whispered.

"Huh?"

"Whats wrong? You sleep with me, or you get in bed at this time al the time."

Yes, my usual time to get in with him was at 11.

"Uh, nothing. Im just cold."

"Mhm." John didn't sound convinced.

"John, every now and then ill have nightmares, and...it just scares me. I don't know why, i should be getting over that feeling since im older...i really never wanted to tell you. But, don't tell."

"I wouldn't tell. Your just a bit...to old to be doing this."

"Im sorry."

"Listen i understand you have been having a difficult life, with threats and no 'real' family. But i had it all too."

"What?"

"I mean, nevermind. What scared you? I mean, what did you dream about tonight?"

"Someone, that kind of looked like that man...Bibber?...he was commanding this guy with a gun to go after me. Then that same lady keeps appearing in my dreams."

"Man, i thought he died."

"Who?"

"Bieber. No one ever talks about him, like i used to hear in 2014...he's 30 something right?"

"Yeah."

"So, what do you think it means?"

"I think it means that we're still being chased."

"Nasty people, i'll say."

"You say your dad's in on this?"

"Yeah, but-"

John was cut off by the door opening. I heard mum whisper my name and i got out of bed and went to her. She told me to come downstairs, a bit of a serious look on her face.

"What mum?" i asked.

"Just come down." She said and we slowly walked downstairs. 

"Can i get a pair of socks?" i asked her.

"No, its going to be real quick." She went to the front door and turned the knob. She poked her head out. "He's here." i heard her say.

She opened the door, allowing a woman to step in. I feared that this was the one after me. She looked at me, i just stared.

"Im your mother and i've come to take you back." The woman told me. 

"Bbbut, why?" 

"Because! You are my son." She almost yelled, i could sense the coldness she felt towards me, still.

"No. I wont go back. Im staying here."

"You will come back!"

"I have my rights."

"MIke!"

"Mike? Im Paul."

"What ever, you are coming home."

"Paul, she is your mother. I cant keep you if she demands you back." My 'mum' said.

"But you said you were my mum." I spoke loudly, but not loudly enough for others to hear me.

"I know. But this is your real one." she pointed to my real mother.

"No, i wont go. And you cant make me."

"Yes, i can." 

"No you cant!" This time i yelled. I didn't want to go back with her, i could sense she didn't care. But would Mike and Ruth be there? I hope so. 

She grabbed my arm and dragged me out the door. 

"Then let me at least say good bye!" I pleaded. She let go of me and i gave my 'mum' a long hug. I really didn't want to leave her, or this family. They were my family, it was like parting with a real family and go off with some stranger. If that even made sense. What would we do about the band? We were supposed to make it big. But then again, maybe it would be better if i was away from here. Then the villains, as i will call them now, wont find me. 

I saw John come slowly downstairs with his glasses. He sent me a look that asked 'whats wrong?' and i gave him a hug. I really did not want to leave him, or any of them. 

"Im...going home John." I whispered threw my tears.

"Home? You mean your real...home?"

I nodded. "I don't want to though."

"Run away, like you did last time. Just run. Your old enough now, where you can handle things. You have to get away, i know for a fact that your mother hasn't changed. People don't change like that."

I thought for a moment. What if she really has changed? What if she really did care for me now? 

"John-i cant..."

"Paul, you're a whimp."

"But what if she has changed?"

"They don't change."

"Dylan has changed in the last 3 years. What do you say to that."

"You, my friend, hardly even knew him. You were to scared to talk."

"John-"

"No. Listen, don't let it go. Just go back and if you need anything...you can call here. Ill be waiting. Even mail if ya have to! Or use your ipod."

"My ipod!" I exclaimed and ran upstairs to get it. Thank goodness i had some of Mariah and John's songs on it. At least John was singing in most of them. I walked to the stairs as Marin came out of her room. 

"Paul? Whats wrong?" She asked.

"Im leaving with my real mum. Im going back to where i really live. Ill miss you." I gave her a hug.

"Will you email?"

"If i can yes."

"Keep talking to us Paul, please." 

"I will. I gotta go. Bye."

"Bye." She sniffed and sighed.

I pushed John away as i walked by him. I didn't want to talk to him just because, i didn't want to be reminded. I did it to mum too. I looked back and waved. 

"Paul, you forgot your bag." Dad hurried out. Mum most of told him to get it.

"Thanks. Bye." 

"Bye."

I sighed and went into the old car my mum drove. Out of the back window I saw John walk outside and down the way the car was going. Why did mum allow him to do that, i don't know.

As we came to a halt at the end of the street i heard something bump into the car. My mum obviously didn't hear it so i guessed i was imagining things. Still, i didn't feel safe. I felt safer back home. Most of the car ride i held back tears on the memories i had. To me those people were my family, not the one I'm heading to now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 1.7K 51
They had grown up right next door to each other and had been best friends since they could remember. John had always seen Olivia as 'just a friend' u...
100K 3.9K 46
Hello WattPad! I'm a huge fan of The Fine Brothers REACT series on YouTube. So I thought why not take the premise for their show, add a little Beatle...
6.3K 136 36
so basically this story takes place in the 60s,in both America and London,which is about the Fab four and a famous American group that's having a har...
7.1K 360 41
-1961- Unlike her older brother, the 18 year-old Eddie is shy; result of years of being overprotected by her brother and her aunt. The only thing she...