Smallville: Telekinetic (Lex...

By DebraJay

All she ever wanted was to belong. All she had to do was learn to trust. ___________________________________... More

Tilting at Windmills
Lonely Day
Everybody Hurts
Spybreak
Serendipity
Good Samaritan
Sittin' On Top of the World
Follow Me
Here in Pleasantville
Rabbit Hole
Secret
Small Town, Big Hearts
Honey Drops
Hero in Green
Yesterday's Feelings
From the Heart
Souvenir
Alright
Everything
Wrong Impression
Caught Inside
Far From Yesterday
Distance
My Father's Son
Green Butterfly
Glorious
IMPORTANT: Author's Note

What You Wanted

1.8K 55 1
By DebraJay

The huge and well-stocked library within the Luthor mansion was situated on the first floor. There was a desk, a comfortable leather sofa and table, as well as a Georgian fireside chair just right for a relaxing read by the stone mantel fireplace. In the far corner of the room a spiral staircase wound its way up onto the walk-around balcony, where Lex's father had filled the wide mahogany shelves with every book imaginable. There were hundreds upon hundreds of leather bound volumes, and Lex often wondered if, before his father's blindness, he had managed to read just a quarter of them. Lex had lived in the mansion for the last couple of years and was still working his way through one wall.

After finishing up his work and enjoying a light lunch, he decided to take a wander into the library. He hadn't been looking for anything in particular to read, just something to relax over and casually flick through. But in the half hour he'd been in there he had been disturbed numerous times by his cell phone. He had been half tempted to turn it off, but didn't, as his phone was the only way his employees and associates could make contact with him. He knew they would never bother him unnecessarily. He was up on the balcony when he heard the faint echo of a door being closed somewhere down the long hallway, and lifted his head from the book in his hands. Another door opened and promptly closed again. And another. Then he heard the impatient voice.

'Lex! Where are you? This place should come with a map!'

He smiled to himself.

Kennedy.

The annoyance in her voice was apparent and he wondered if it was because she was having trouble locating him. He supposed it had more to do with the events of earlier and the Talon.

The latter, definitely, he thought amused. 

The double doors to the library opened further and she came inside, taking a quick look around. Even at the height he was, he could see the look of wonder light up on her face. She made her way over to one of the many free-standing bookcases at the far side of the room, and ran her fingers down the spines of the many books, before pulling out a red leather-bound one and opening it. So, he had discovered something else that captured this intriguing young woman's interest. She herself was like a book to him. With every turning page he discovered something new. 

She tucked a red curl behind her ear and slowly turned another page. The obvious annoyance she had felt only moments before was clearly forgotten. In that one brief moment, Lex was taken with her. He had never seen a more beautiful sight and his heart gave an insistent little knock. The realisation of what he'd been thinking, had him straightening up. Then as quickly as it happened, he dismissed it. Resting his arms on the balcony rail he leaned forward. 

'Find something you like?'

Kennedy lifted her head, scanned the room and saw him up on the balcony, book in hand, smiling down at her. Her eyes narrowed and the annoyance returned. She slammed the book closed and put it back onto the shelf.

'You are the most arrogant and obnoxious man I've ever met,' she said turning back to face him.

'Why, thank you.'

Planting her hands firmly on her hips Kennedy scowled at him, which only made Lex smile all the more. She was very pretty when she scowled. 'Who do you think you are?' she demanded.

'I thought we already covered that? And you left out opinionated.'

His obvious teasing released a short, sharp hiss of annoyance from her.

'Are you angry with me, Kennedy?' he asked, his tone light.

'Bet your ass I am. You had no right, Lex. No right at all. I hadn't even made up my mind about staying and you were pushing me into a job.'

'I was helping you reach a decision.'

'You were being controlling.'

Their conversation of that morning was still fresh in his mind. He put the book away and walked over towards the staircase. "Kennedy, I found you work. A job you're free to turn down if you want to." He made his way down the stairs. "No one's forcing you to do anything you don't want."

'So what was the little display earlier about?'

He reached the bottom stair and walked over to where she stood. 'If you wanted to, you could have left here this morning, like you planned. You didn't have to go with Lana to the Talon and you didn't have to spend,' he looked at his watch and smiled, 'almost three hours doing something you didn't have to do. You did it because it was what you wanted.'

She let go of a sigh. He was of course right. She didn't have to stay for breakfast. She didn't have to take the job. And she didn't have to stay here. Worst thing about this was he knew that he was right.

'Fine,' she relented, rolling her eyes. 'So I had fun. And Lana's really sweet. But you still shouldn't have put me on the spot like that.'

'You could have said no.'

'You kinda make it hard not to.'

He smiled and slipped his hands into his trouser pockets. 'Okay,' he said slowly nodding his head. 'So I might have been a little presumptuous this morning.'

'Try out of line.'

'That too. If you want to walk out of here now no one will stop you. Personally, I think you should stay. Even if it is just for a little while. You're safe here. You have a job and a roof over your head for as long as you need both of them. If you're being honest with yourself you'd admit it's what you want too.'

She slowly shook her head. 'You're unbelievable.'

'Not arrogant? Or weird?' He lifted a hand and placed it over his heart. 'Kennedy, I'm hurt,' he teased.

In spite of herself, she couldn't help but smile back. It came quickly and fully and lit up the entire room and it had Lex's heart give another of those little knocks.

'Okay,' she allowed. 'I guess it wouldn't do any harm to give it a go for a while.' She shrugged. 'I'll stay. Just until I get back on my feet.'

'Whatever.' He smiled. 'I'm glad that's settled.'

She nodded and then glanced around her. 'Can I just say I've never seen so many books. It's incredible in here. If this were my house, I'd live in this room.'

'Both my father and I are big readers.'

'I'll read anything I can get my hands on.'

He didn't doubt it, remembering the look he'd seen on her face when she had first come inside. 'Well,' he said, 'you're welcome to come in here whenever you wish.'

'Thanks.' She turned back to the bookcase and pulled out the book she had chosen before. 'Mind if I take this one up to my room?'

Lex tipped the book to glance at its cover. The book was 'Beyond Good and Evil' by Nietzsche. He lifted one eyebrow. 'Interesting choice.'

'He writes with such a measure of rage.' She shrugged. 'Just some light bedtime reading,' she added making Lex smile. She headed for the door. 'Oh, and one other thing, Lana asked if I would do a couple of hours at the Talon tonight. I figured I would.' Then she disappeared out of the door.

Lex nodded. She had made her mind up about staying long before she had come back here. Well, well, well. She had played him. And he had rather enjoyed it. Still smiling, he left the library and headed down the hall towards his office.

*

Martha Kent looked up as her son came into the kitchen. She was standing at the sink washing up the dinner dishes. Clark's father was out trying to fix the engine on the old tractor. It had broken down three times that day while Jonathan had been working it. Beside her, Clark opened the refrigerator door and took out the carton of milk. He lifted it to his mouth and took a long swig. Martha was not amused. She dried her soapy hands on the towel and snatched the carton from him, then gave him that 'Mom' look.

'What?' asked Clark wiping his mouth. 'It tastes better out of the carton.'

Martha put the milk back into the refrigerator. 'Where did you learn your manners from?'

'On a farm?' he grinned.

Martha looked at him and couldn't stop the faint smile that tugged at the corners of her mouth. She turned back to her dishes, pushing back her light brown hair with one hand, before beginning on the pots and pans. 'What are you up to tonight?' she asked her son.

Clark pulled out a chair and sat down at the big, farmhouse table. 'I might just head down to the Talon.'

'I'm sure Lana will be pleased to see you.'

'Meaning?' He knew exactly what his mother meant. 

Martha smiled and shrugged her shoulders. 'Meaning exactly that.'

'Mom,' Clark sighed. 'How many more times do I have to tell you, Lana and I are just good friends.'

'You should ask her out,' said Martha matter-of-factly.

'Mom!' said Clark sharply.

Martha smiled and glanced at him over her shoulder, her blue eyes dancing merrily. 'The two of you are almost a couple anyway. The amount of time you spend together.'

'Mom, it isn't that long since Whitney died.'

'I know. But he and Lana had broken up long before he left to join the Marines. What about the Homecoming dance in a couple of weeks time?'

'I'm not going. I don't have a date.'

'Did you ask anyone?'

'No,' replied Clark, shrugging again. 'I figured that would be the big tip-off that I'm not going.'

'Well, you see,' Martha went on, turning back to him as she dried off her hands. 'Asking someone is kind of the critical step to landing a date, Clark. Why don't you ask Lana?'

Clark eyed his mother. 'I'm not going, Mom. Besides, it's not a big deal.'

Just then the back door to the kitchen opened and Jonathan stepped through, he peeled off his jacket and hung it on the coat-stand by the door. 'Damn tractor. I think it's the starter motor,' he said heading towards the refrigerator.

Martha looked at her husband. 'Can it be fixed?' she asked.

Jonathan nodded. 'I'll need to go into town and pick up some spare parts.' He opened up the refrigerator door and took out the milk. Then he took three or four deep gulps.

Clark flashed his mother a quick smile. 'Like father, like son. Huh, Mom?'

Martha planted her hand on her hip. 'Jonathan,' she scolded.

'Sorry,' apologised Jonathan. 'But you've just done the washing-up, sweetheart. I didn't want to dirty a glass,' he said giving Clark a wink.

He grinned at his father, while Martha just shook her head. Then Clark stood up and grabbed his jacket. 'Okay, I'm going out,' he said. 'I won't be late.'

'Think about what I said,' Martha called after him as he left the kitchen and headed for the front door.

'Not going to happen,' Clark called back.

Moments later the front door opened and closed again. Jonathan sat down at the table. 'What was that all about?'

'My attempt to get our son to ask a girl to the Homecoming dance has fallen completely on deaf ears,' Martha told him.

Jonathan smiled. 'You think he should ask Lana?'

'I see the way he looks at her, Jonathan,' said Martha sliding into the chair next to her husband. 

He reached for her hand and gently squeezed it. 'Would that be the same way I looked at you when we first met?'

Martha smiled warmly at him. 'It never did us any harm. Married for over twenty years.'

'But you remember how awkward and shy I was around you? You were the smart and incredibly beautiful city girl and I was just a poor boy from the country. I couldn't believe my luck that day you walked up to me.'

'I borrowed your English notes.'

'Yes you did. You borrowed my notes and stole my heart.'

Martha leaned across and pressed a gentle kiss against her husband's lips, then she drew back from him and smiled. He still didn't know to this day that she had been the official note-taker for the class and borrowing his notes had just been an excuse to meet him.

'I just wish he could show her who he really is. On the inside. But he's so scared of getting close to someone, incase they discover his secret.'

'Pete knows.'

'That's hardly the same thing.'

'Maybe he's just too shy to ask Lana out,' shrugged Jonathan. 'Or it could be because of what happened thirteen years ago.'

'The meteor shower,' nodded Martha. 'Oh, Jonathan, you don't think he blames himself for Lana's parents being killed?'

'It was that meteor shower that brought him to us.'

'He isn't to blame. He was just a child himself.'

'I know,' Jonathan sighed.

'Maybe we should talk to him,' said Martha.

Jonathan shook his head. 'No. I think we should leave any decisions he has concerning Lana up to Clark.'

Martha looked at her husband and then slowly nodded her head. But the thought of her incredibly special son blaming himself for something that wasn't his fault, stayed with her for the rest of the evening.

*

At the Talon, Lana handed the customer his change with a warm smile and then turned back to Chloe. 'So, you're blue mood earlier seems to have lifted.'

Chloe, who was sitting at the other side of the counter, sipping on a vanilla milkshake, nodded her head. 'I was feeling a little sorry for myself, that's all. Sometimes I just feel so, I don't know, stifled.'

'Stifled?'

Chloe nodded. 'Don't you ever feel like that? Like you just need an injection of excitement or something to jazz up your day?'

Lana smiled. 'Oh, I get it. Small town life too racy for the big-city girl,' she joked.

'It isn't that,' said Chloe shaking her head. 'Okay, when I first came here, I hated the place with a passion. But it kind of grows on you after a while. You know, like mildew.'

'So what is it then?'

'When I said excitement, I meant of the romantic variety.'

Lana smiled knowingly. 'So there aren't enough cute boys in Smallville. Is that what you're saying, Miss. Sullivan?'

'There are plenty cute guys,' said Chloe. 'I just can't seem to get my hands on any of them.'

'What about the cute guy you met here yesterday?' Chloe gave her a questioning look. 'The one you couldn't take your eyes off,' Lana reminded her.

'Oh,' said Chloe. 'Yeah, him. Drew something or other,' she said waving her hand, as if dismissing it. 'He was okay,' she said casually.

'Chloe, you were drooling. I practically had to hand you a napkin.'

'I was not,' insisted Chloe rolling her eyes. 'Besides, I'll probably never see him again.'

'And if you do?'

Chloe shrugged. 'I have no feelings about it either way.'

Just then the door to the Talon swung open and she saw Clark and Pete come through it, they were laughing about something and judging by how hard, it was obviously funny. 'Hey,' she said to Chloe. 'Here come two of Smallville's most eligible right now.'

'Yeah?' said Chloe, suddenly interested again. She turned and saw Clark and Pete, then looked back at Lana, a wry smile on her face. 'The Joker and Mr. Retiring?'

'Clark isn't that shy,' said Lana.

Chloe looked at her with one raised eyebrow. 'I could have meant Pete.'

Lana just smiled. They both knew whom she had meant by both remarks.

'Hey, girls,' said Pete throwing himself down on the stool next to Chloe. 'Chloe, wanna rent another seminal piece of film-making tonight?,' he said casting a grin in Clark's direction.

Clark didn't bite; he just shook his head and smiled across at Lana. 'How's it going?'

'Good,' she replied with a nod.

'How about when Lana finishes up here, we head down to the video store and see what's on offer?' suggested Pete.

'I guess we could,' shrugged Lana. 'Chloe?'

Chloe pressed a hand against her chest. 'Oh, how much excitement can a girl's heart take?' she said sighing and fluttering her eyelashes.

'Didn't we have a good time last night?' asked Pete.

'We did,' she told him. 'But I don't want to do the exact same thing again tonight. We should do something different.'

'Any ideas on that?' asked Clark.

'Well,' said Chloe thinking. 'We could buy some Chinese food, drive out to the Point and watch the Metropolis skyline. I have the car.' 

'The Point? Yeah, because we've never done that before,' said Pete shaking his head.

'Okay then, you think of something.'

'How about we take a spin into Harrisville? See what's happenin' there?'

'Okay. Cool,' nodded Chloe. 'Guys?' She looked at Lana and Clark.

'I close up at nine. It hardly seems worth it,' said Lana.

'Yeah,' agreed Clark. 'And I said I wouldn't be late home.'

Chloe groaned. 'Come on you guys! It's the last week of summer break. We should be making the most of our final days of freedom.'

'I agree,' said Lana. 'But couldn't we do something a little closer to home?'

Chloe sighed and looked at Pete. 'Looks like it's just you and me. We'll leave these square pegs to their own devices.'

'Hey!' complained Clark. 'Lana and I are not squares.'

Pete grinned at him then looked back at Chloe. 'I'm feelin' you. Wanna go now?'

Chloe slid down from the stool and grabbed her purse from the counter-top. 'Don't wait up, Lana.'

Lana smiled at her. 'Don't worry, me and my mug of cocoa will be tucked up in bed long before you get back.'

Pete slapped Clark on the back as he jumped off the stool. 'Later, man,' he grinned as he held out his arm to Chloe. She slipped her arm through his and they made for the door.

'You know, I'm beginning to wonder about those two,' said Lana as she picked up a cloth and began wiping down the counter. 'They're spending a lot of time together.'

Clark knew all about Pete's almighty crush on Chloe, he also knew the reason behind why Pete had never asked her out. He was convinced that Chloe still had feelings for him. Clark had assured him he and Chloe were just good friends but it still didn't give Pete the push he needed.

He thought about him and Lana then. And something his mother had mentioned earlier. He had no right to talk about Pete taking his time over Chloe. He had been in love with Lana for as long as he could remember and he was still no further forward in asking her out, never mind telling her how he felt.

But his situation was a little different to the one Pete had with Chloe. Clark didn't think someone like Lana would be interested in someone like him on anything other than a friendly level. And of course, there was that small matter of the meteor shower that had killed her parents.

'We spend a lot of time together, Lana,' he stated.

She stopped wiping to smile at him. 'You know what I mean. I think Pete likes Chloe. I see the way he looks at her when he thinks no-one is looking. It's kind of sweet.'

Yeah, thought Clark. Wishing that sometimes Lana would see the way he looked at her too. And that if she did, it might give him some inclination how she felt about him. If she felt anything. And then, who knew? Maybe it would also give him the courage he so desperately needed to do something about it.

Like ask her to be his date for the Homecoming dance. Before someone else did.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.6K 1.1K 9
Have you ever wondered what it's like being the only Kryptonian on earth without powers? It sucks. I'm Marinette Martha Kent. Yup that's right I'm th...
4.2K 166 41
Junior year is beginning, and like the same thing every year, Jonathan and Jordan Kent want nothing more than to play football, party, and make some...
Fortress By Cece

Fanfiction

1.6K 113 19
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 2} From unexpected to unpredictable; It had been three months since Tyla had heard the news that Lex was d...
1.2K 69 9
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 1} This is a short collection of moments where Lex Luthor finds a friend in the corporate world; Leaving h...