Smallville: Telekinetic (Lex...

נכתב על ידי DebraJay

All she ever wanted was to belong. All she had to do was learn to trust. ___________________________________... עוד

Tilting at Windmills
Lonely Day
Everybody Hurts
Spybreak
Serendipity
Sittin' On Top of the World
Follow Me
Here in Pleasantville
What You Wanted
Rabbit Hole
Secret
Small Town, Big Hearts
Honey Drops
Hero in Green
Yesterday's Feelings
From the Heart
Souvenir
Alright
Everything
Wrong Impression
Caught Inside
Far From Yesterday
Distance
My Father's Son
Green Butterfly
Glorious
IMPORTANT: Author's Note

Good Samaritan

1.9K 61 3
נכתב על ידי DebraJay

Lex found her in the kitchen sitting at the granite-topped island, munching on a sandwich crammed with cheese and a bottle of water at her side. He stood in the doorway holding a lighted church candle and took a moment to watch her.

Who is she? And why do I care so much?

It was like an under the skin itch. And it niggled him. Okay, so she was a pretty little thing, despite the obvious lack of respect for other people's property...

But, there's something else.

She reminded him a lot of himself at that age. Rebellious. No respect for authority. Trying to make a mark on the world. He didn't know why he would feel this way, but he was overcome with the feeling that she had lost everything. Just then she lifted a hand to push her hair from her face and let out a painful hiss. Lex saw the blood and presumed it had happened when she had broken in. She got up and crossed to the sink, running the cold faucet, she held her bleeding hand under the spray.

'There's a first-aid kit around here somewhere,' he said.

Startled, Kennedy jumped and saw him standing in the doorway. He looked almost eerie and even more enigmatic standing there holding a candle as he watched her with intent. As if on cue, a roll of thunder sounded outside and she found herself swallowing.

'It's just a scratch,' she told him turning off the faucet, then went back to sit at the bar. She picked up the sandwich and took a bite.

Lex came inside and set the candle down on the work-top, then began opening up the many cupboards. He eventually found the first-aid kit beneath the sink and went over to her.

'Give me your hand,' he said.

'It's fine.'

'Give me your hand,' he repeated.

'Is this how you get what you want? By barking out orders?'

'Just give me your hand.' He opened up the first-aid kit and took out a tube of antiseptic salve. Unscrewing the lid he looked at her. 'Well?'

She sighed and because she was too tired to argue, she put down the sandwich and held out her hand. He squeezed a small blob of the salve onto the cut and Kennedy felt it sting.

'Apply it,' he said and then took out a bandage and began unwrapping it from the sterile packet.

'Why are you doing this?' she asked as she rubbed the salve into her palm.

'Because I don't want you bleeding all over the place. Most of the floor coverings were hand-crafted in the Far East. Very expensive to replace.'

'I meant - '

'I know what you meant. Just my idea of a joke.' Then he slowly smiled.

She shook her head. 'You're weird,' she muttered.

'I've been called worse,' he replied. 'Hand.'

'Do you always get what you want?'

'Always.'

She didn't doubt it. Expertly and carefully he wrapped the bandage around her injured hand before tying it off.

'I think you'll live,' he said.

She made a fist and released it again. The bandage was tight enough to stem the bleeding but not so that it would cut off her circulation. She lifted an eyebrow and gave him a nod. 'Not bad,' she said, impressed.

He began to pack away the first-aid kit. She picked up her sandwich and took another bite. 'So,' he said bending to put the kit back beneath the sink. 'Do you have a name?'

'Kennedy.'

He turned back, amusement in his eyes. 'Is that your real name?' he enquired.

She gave him another of those challenging stares. 'My dad was a JFK supporter.'

'Alright then. Kennedy. Are you in trouble?'

'No.'

'So what's your story?'

'So what's your name?' she mimicked and it only made him smile all the more.

'Lex. As in Alexander the Great. My father was a scholar of Greek history.'

'Okay then. Lex,' she bit out. 'Just for the record, I'm not in trouble, I didn't steal anything, I haven't killed anyone and I'm not a runaway. That answer your question?'

'That and so much more.' He slipped his hands into his pockets. 'Just for the record, no one here is impressed by the attitude. And I should know, I wrote the book on adolescent rebellion.'

She answered him with a roll of her eyes. 'I don't remember saying I cared. So why do you?'

He looked at her for a long moment, her green stare unflinching as she held his gaze. 'I have absolutely no idea,' he said just as the lights suddenly flickered and came to life. 'Maybe I just want to help,' he added.

'Maybe I don't need helping.'

Lex took a step towards her. 'So your name is Kennedy and in your spare time you hotwire cars and break into houses. If you're not in trouble now, you soon will be. Tell me where you're from. The city?' He bent his head to blow out the candle.

'No. And as for stealing your car, I needed it to get somewhere. It was nothing personal.'

'Where?'

'Anywhere,' she murmured.

'So you weren't planning on staying in Smallville?'

'I told you I was just passing through. Don't you listen? Besides, who'd want to stay here?'

'Smallville's okay.'

'Maybe for some, but not me.' She looked at him. 'What's someone like you doing in a crummy town like this?' She lifted the bottled water to her lips and took a drink.

'Someone like me?' he repeated amused. Just then the cell-phone in his trouser pocket began to ring. He answered. 'Yeah?'

While he was on the phone, Kennedy slid down off the stool and wandered around the huge state-of-the-art kitchen. Unlike the rest of the house this room was very contemporary and housed every kitchen gadget and electrical item she could imagine. The floor was Italian mosaic tile, granite worktops, solid brass fixtures and fittings. Smoked glass cupboard doors. She doubted he ever actually cooked in here; it looked too clean. Clinical. Besides he probably had a cook. And maids and butlers. She turned back and caught his blue eyes looking right at her as he spoke into the phone; and out of nowhere felt her heart give a little somersault.

Okay, where'd that come from? So he's cute, oddly attractive. But let's just keep it at that. Let's not lose focus and forget the objective. To get as far away from Metropolis as possible. No distractions.

She looked at him, still looking at her.

No matter how oddly appealing they are.

Lex ended the call and pushed the phone back into his pocket. 'It's late and seeing as you broke in here to crash then may I suggest you do just that. Follow me,' he said moving by her and towards the door. 'I'll show you to one of the guest-rooms.'

Oh, and not forgetting weird.

'Wait,' she said. 'Can we just wait a minute?'

He turned back, hands still in his pockets. 'Is there a problem?'

'I don't get this.'

'There's nothing to get. It's a stormy night, you have nowhere to stay and considering what you've cost me today in replacing the alarm system to my car, I'm not about to forget my breeding. Besides you look exhausted. You can take a bath and get your head down.'

'And that's it? Come morning you're going to let me walk out of here and forget this whole day ever happened? Or is this another twist to your nefarious scheme? Pretend like you're doing me some big favor and then tomorrow the cops show up and haul me off to the big house?'

Nefarious scheme. Lex liked that. He lifted one shoulder and shrugged. 'Something like that,' he said casually.

'Okay, that's it.' She went to pick up her bag. 'I don't need - '

'Kennedy,' he said. 'I'm kidding.'

She stopped to look back at him. 'Do you see me laughing?'

'I apologise.' He paused. 'You haven't met many decorous individuals in your lifetime, have you? There's no hidden agenda here. No nefarious scheme. I'm simply offering you a warm bed for the night. And tomorrow you're free to leave.'

He hadn't been anything but nice to her, no matter what she had done, up to now he hadn't given her any reason to doubt his credibility. Maybe she was over-reacting. Her defensive nature, like always, seemed to just kick in, take over. Like it had a mind of its own.

'Everybody wants something,' she muttered.

'So my father believes.'

'It's hard to trust.'

Her soft tone surprised Lex. The attitude and anger was gone and had been replaced by a touching vulnerability. She really wasn't as tough as she liked to make out. He was suddenly overcome with the curious feeling he'd had since first meeting her. And like before, her words hit a nerve within him.

'Kennedy,' he said her name gently. So gentle it took him by surprise. She looked suddenly sad and jaded and he felt something inside of him pull. It only confused him more. 'I don't want anything. I don't need anything. You can trust me.'

'Whatever,' she said wearily. 'I guess I am pretty tired and it's just for tonight.'

'Whatever you want,' he told her.

She nodded and then moved by him and out into the hallway.

Lex would find out about her. And even though he didn't have a clue why, he knew he would do everything in his power to help her. Because no matter what she said, she was in trouble. He could smell it on her. He'd been in it often enough himself, he knew the signs.

And all hers were loud and crystal clear.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

2.2K 49 31
TRIGGER WARNING! THIS STORY HAS A LOT OF TALK OF RAPE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT: If yo don't feel comfortable reading this then by all means skip past this...
599K 17.8K 50
Moving from the crime capital of the world, to the quiet idyllic scenery of Smallville, the last thing Annie Lockett half expects is to befriend the...
417K 11.5K 67
Began: July 1, 2017 Finished: October 24, 2019 An Original Clark Kent x Reader. You work for the famous Daily Planet, along with some of Superman's...
4.2K 166 41
Junior year is beginning, and like the same thing every year, Jonathan and Jordan Kent want nothing more than to play football, party, and make some...