The Trouble with Evie

By xMishx

Mean girls and gorgeous guys, too much homework and a restrictive guardian. A typical life for a teen girl, r... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
The End... Almost
The Trouble With Hades

Chapter 39

50 9 1
By xMishx

Brad was waiting with a hug, saying nothing but just holding me until I was ready to let go. It took about a minute before I pulled away, wiped the tears, and gave him a sad smile.

"Love hurts, regardless of what the relationship was like."

"I think it hurts more that you were right."

"Yeah, maybe the world's about to end or something."

We entered the caravan. I sat at the table while Brad started making breakfast. Outside, I could see Kannon walking away, Anzide watching from his hidden spot in the forest.

"Do you think that was another attempt to make us leave?"

"I don't know,"

I felt defeated, and the day had barely started. It wasn't even seven in the morning, and I'd had a fight with my ex-boyfriend, now stressing over my life here.

Brad put the tray on the table and started pulling the crockery out. I was loading things, trying to keep myself occupied rather than thinking about Kannon. It was not working, not when I could see Anzide walking toward the fence line, watching Kannon.

"I got the feeling that it was the underlying intention for coming here,"

"But you think he wanted to apologize as well?"

I nodded.

"Then why didn't you let him?"

Brad turned when he got no response. I was frowning heavily at him.

"Humor me and answer the question."

"Because he lied to me about Andross's body. He used it against me and sold me out to Drakkus like I needed to have him angrier at me."

"And you're sure it was him and not Eddios?"

It felt like my heart fell into my stomach.

"Brad," I groaned.

He shrugged and sat at the table in front of me.

"He calls his father and tells him the details. Daddy says, sure son. Son thinks it's done until trouble hits, and daddy says that we're doing the unthinkable and we're making sure that as a group, we survive. What is one life against how many they have in their group? Eddios might have had a heart and said we'll give you this information if you agree to let Evelyn and Brad leave the town unharmed. We'll join the clan. We'll behave ourselves, but we have our requirements. As a show of good faith, they hand their son over to be the second in charge to the leader. Maybe that was all they offered. Maybe the rest of it was the sweetener."

"I hate it when you do this," I muttered, getting up from the table.

Rushing through the door, I made my way to the fence where Anzide was still watching Kannon.

"What's wrong?"

"I need a little fact-checking to be done."

"You want the boy to return?"

"If you don't mind."

Anzide disappeared and reappeared in front of Kannon, who stumbled back when Anzide towered over him. Something was said. Kannon turned to look at me, then back to Anzide. All the while, I waited, wringing my fingers with the hope that I'd made this out to be more than it was. Brad might be right. He had a knack for this kind of stuff.

Kannon turned and began to walk back, looking unimpressed. Anzide was no better, walking behind him like a mountain of doom that was ready to explode.

"What now?" Kannon grumped.

"Did you call your father to collect the body?"

He nodded grimly.

"Did he tell you that it had been dealt with?"

Kannon said nothing. Anzide poked him in the back. With a frown that he shot over his shoulder, Kannon turned back to me.

"He did."

"Do you feel betrayed that it didn't happen?"

Angrily he wiped a tear, nodding in the process.

"Would you like to tell me what's going on, or are you worried about what might happen if you do?"

"You have to leave, but I don't want you to. You have to hand over the rule to him, but you can't, and you shouldn't. He tried to fill my head with all these thoughts about you being an Eternal and how you would have killed me if we progressed and that you should have told me. He said that the Nephilim should have told you what you were and the only reason he didn't was because he wanted me dead."

Anzide tilted his head, giving me a look of agreement. I frowned at him, and Anzide shrugged as if I should have expected it.

"I had to take Andross's place as payment for not telling him when it happened. We all had to join the clan without complaint and show unwavering loyalty to buy our lives. I resisted him last night. Today he said that I had to walk here and ensure that you'd got the message. He told me the path I had to take. It was in full sun."

I looked down at Kannon's hands. They'd taken the damage when he held them up to hide his face.

"I thought vampires could walk in the sun."

"There are variables. The older the vampire, the greater the power. I'm young, and my skin is weaker than someone like Niko's if that's what you're talking about."

I nodded.

"Drakkus wants a new lover," Kannon whispered.

Another tear followed.

"And your parents think that this is acceptable?" I snapped.

"It's that or die."

Kannon looked up at me. I could see the pain and suffering. How long could he resist before it turned ugly? It was bad enough that he was punished for refusing to entertain Drakkus. If things kept going, it would become something horrible. I could not live with myself knowing that it was going on, and I could have been the one to end it.

"If I leave, will he let you and your family go?"

Anzide stepped forward, ready to say something. I held up my hand, stopping him.

"I want to know the truth, Anzide. I need to know that everything will be okay when Kannon returns."

Anzide was giving me a contemptuous glare as he shook his head. His lips were pressed tight, and his brow was furrowed deep.

"Kannon helped Brad and me claim ownership of this property. He interpreted my mother's autopsy report and confirmed that she was murdered by a vampire. I owe him something, at least."

He was still not impressed.

"But most of all, he was a friend. When I needed it, he was there for me. He stood up to Audrey, he protected me, and he guided me. This has fallen because of Drakkus, so I need to know if you will be safe. Will he release you?"

"He said he will, but Drakkus is not honest. Don't worry about me, Evie. Just be safe. The only way that you will be safe from Drakkus is if you leave."

Kannon stepped back, giving me a sad smile.

"We had fun. It was only a few days, but I'll always remember them. Run Evie. Run before he comes for you too."

I watched Kannon walk away. He did not turn back and just kept walking. His shoulders were slung low, and his hands were in his pockets.

There was an unmistakable sadness in him that I knew was not a lie. I thought that I could pick a lie, but he'd proved otherwise. Hopefully, I could return to the path of knowing when Kannon was telling me the truth.

I wanted a friendship with him. He was a good person despite the failings of his family. I'm sure he felt hurt and annoyed at his father's actions.

Anzide moved through the fence, watching the sad figure.

"Well, that was a mighty fine performance."

"You think it was another lie?

"He knows I cannot check what is going on in Drakkus's house."

Well, so much for improving my lie detection skills.

Curiously, I looked at Anzide.

"You can't?"

He shook his head, urging me to move back to the caravan. I was hungry, and I could smell the toast that Brad was burning. Hopefully, it won't be black, maybe at that point where it was nice and brown. The butter always melted perfectly when the toast was hot, and the taste of it was divine. My mouth watered at the thought of having toast with butter dripping everywhere.

"No, he must have the demon living in the house."

Damn Anzide for interrupting my food fantasy.

"I tried to get in, but I could feel the demon's presence which means it's more than the likes of what Harlwood has done here. This is a protection which means he put it in place and then walked away. Only certain people can pass through it, and it will fade with time. If the demon lives onsite, it is a permanent cover. Anyone can enter the property, but the second they do, the demon knows about it. A permanent cover radiates from the property. I could feel it on the street."

"So, anything is possible?"

"It is."

Brad was fussing over the table, setting everything out in preparation for an alfresco breakfast with the flies. He was shooing them away, making me wonder why he was bothering with it at all.

"We can eat inside if you want. I don't mind."

"I was kind of looking forward to it."

"I know, but until you get screens up, it's kind of pointless."

He shrugged, putting a kitchen towel over the hot toast. Once I'd sat down and picked off the best looking piece of toast, I set out to put far too much butter on it and live out that wild fantasy I'd just had.

As I ate the toast, I thought about what Kannon had said. Whether it was the truth or a lie, Drakkus was still a problem that needed to be dealt with. He wanted us gone, to walk away from this place and the leadership.

I will not do that. Not to Niko. I owed him a lot, and without the house to return to, he could end up in the forest for a long time. He might move on, but I had serious doubts about that. I believe that he felt bound to this town and the memory of what he once had when life was perfect.

For him, I had to do the right thing. I had to be strong and do all I could to ensure that Hades was Corbin territory. That meant that I had to figure out what to do about Drakkus.

Finishing my breakfast, I decided that I would consult someone who had been in this town for as long as Niko had. If there was a chance at understanding what my great-grandfather would want without actually asking him, it might be done with one of the town's oldest residents.

Grabbing the keys, I pulled on my jacket, grabbed my purse, and pushed through the screen door.

"Sorry about the mess. I'll clean up after lunch, okay?"

"Wait. Where are you going?"

"To town. I won't be long."

Walking to the car, I ignored Brad yelling at me that I was not licensed to drive by myself. He gave up by the time I got to the driveway.

"What are you doing?" Anzide said in a dry tone.

"Checking on a few things."

"You can't enter his property."

"Drakkus? I figured that. Besides, I don't know where he lives."

"So then, where are you going?"

"You'll see soon enough."

Within a few minutes of my extremely sketchy driving, I pulled up outside a familiar but much-hated building. Kids laughed and chatted as they made their way into the school. In the distance, I could see the figures of the girls that I loathed.

Taking a deep breath, I got out of the car and stalked into the building before Audrey reached me.

"This is it? You're taking the deal?"

"I want to check on a few things."

"You say that, yet you walk into the demon's domain with a defiance that clearly says you've got a bug up your ass."

I raised an eyebrow at Anzide.

"Bug up my ass?"

"Brad mentioned it, and when questioned, he offered the meaning."

"Right," I drawled out.

Jane looked up as the door swung open, cheerily smiling until she realized I wasn't stopping.

"Miss Newton!" she called out. "You can't just barge in here without an appointment."

"Sure, I can. Where's Harlwood?"

"Behind you."

I spun around to see the principal standing behind me, just like he said. The demonic smile was full and eager for the next few minutes.

Lifting his hand, Harlwood flicked open the door. Gently it swung back as if he had complete control over it.

"Come, Miss Newton. Let's discuss how we're going to deal with our problems."

Taking a deep breath, I walked into the demon's office. Would I make a deal? I don't know, but if it meant that I could defeat Drakkus, then I would consider it. If it would be my demise, I guess only time would tell on that one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4M 199K 54
"Fate is tricky and her time is limited. She can love without reason, and forgive without thought - that is her curse and her gift. Be that as it may...
239K 11.8K 55
*Mature Content* Forced to flee from their home, King Taius and Akara are fighting to survive while rebels strive to hunt them down. But not just a...
2.8M 67.6K 34
Born with a damaged heart, Leanna Weston has lived a sheltered life with little chance at adventure. When she hears that Finvarra's Circus is coming...
13.9M 370K 45
Book One in the Soul Seeker Series. At fifteen Amelia is forced to move in with her birthfather when her mother passes away. A man she's never met be...