Worth the Fight

By tufano79

What happens when you think you have it all, only to find out it was all a lie. Edward Masen, a prized profes... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Author's Note
Chapter 17
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Public Service Announcement
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter 39
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Eighteen

250 15 3
By tufano79

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story ... What's up next?

Will Edward push his way past Bella's resolve? Leave me your thoughts. The rest of the barbecue is in this chapter. Thanks for reading!

What I own: Amazing friends and family

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Eighteen

Edward walked back out of the house, trying not to think too much about the brush off he'd received from Bella. She was coldly polite, but that connection they'd shared had disappeared. He wanted it back, but was resigned that she'd be in the periphery of his life, moving forward.

"Masen! I need another beer. Grilling all this meat is making me thirsty," Emmett bellowed.

"You're meeting me tomorrow morning, Emmett," Charlie chided as he tossed a beanbag, playing cornhole with Carlisle and a few other fighters. "I don't want you to be hungover."

"I'll be fine," Emmett said. "This is my second beer. I'll stop after four. I promise."

"Why am I your beer wench?" Edward snorted. "Jasper is perfectly capable, as are you, Emmett. I could watch the meat while you get your own beverage."

"Oooh, he has a point, Tubbo," Jasper sang. "I think I like you, Edward. You're my new bestie. Slacker, over there, can just suffer in the smoke."

With a scowl, Emmett handed Edward the tongs and stomped into the house. Edward laughed, flipping over the burgers, and sipping his water. As he manned the grill, an older woman with curled honey hair and a pleasant smile glided into the party with a younger woman next to her. The younger woman was striking with pale skin, dark brown hair, and icy blue eyes. Carlisle kissed the older woman, hugging the younger one. With a grin, Carlisle brought the pair over to Jasper, Edward, and the now grumpy Emmett.

"Esme, I'd love to introduce you to the newest fighter to the Bull Dog family, Edward Masen," Carlisle smiled. "Edward, this is my wife and light of my life, Esme Cullen."

"Don't let Alice hear you say that," Jasper quipped. "She thinks she's the light of your life."

"I love my daughter, but she's the reason why I have these grey hairs," Carlisle snorted. "Devil spawn."

"Emmett didn't help, either," Esme teased, ruffling his curls.

"I'm amazing," Emmett argued. "Alice was the devil spawn ... trying to get out from the shadow of my awesomeness."

"You keep telling yourself that, kiddo," Carlisle laughed. "How are you doing, Bree? Settling into Seattle?"

"Different than Alaska, but I like it," the younger woman smiled.

"Edward, this is my niece, Bree Tanner. She's my youngest sister's only child and moved here to start her career as a physical therapist. She'll be working with Rosalie in her practice," Esme explained. "Edward, from what I've been told, is also a newcomer to the Pacific Northwest, moving here from Chicago."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Edward said, shaking her hand. Bree looked at him hungrily, either enamored by his looks or his celebrity. Regardless of her perusal, it made him uncomfortable.

"Maybe you can give me a tour. We could possibly explore the city together?" Bree suggested, moving closer to him, and running her hand along his forearm.

"I'm just getting back into training and I'm hitting the ground running after an appointment tomorrow. My days will be spent in the gym," Edward replied politely. He saw something out of the corner of his eyes. Bella seemed agitated, stomping away.

"I could show you around, Bree. Rose and I would love to spend some time with you, Bree," Emmett said, his voice taking on hard tone. "Masen, do you need another drink? I think there's a cooler near the beach."

Edward blinked to his friend, who was glowering at him over the brunette's head. "Um, yeah. Here, Emmett. Do any of you need anything?" he asked.

"We're good, Edward," Carlisle responded.

With a nod, Edward left the awkward introduction and followed Bella down to the beach. The terrain was uneven, and a terrified yelp made Edward run down the rocky shore. The curses that followed indicated that whoever fell was injured. Hopping down, he found Bella on the ground with one leg bent funny and torn to shreds. Her eyes were filled with tears as she lost it. "Bella?"

"Great," she spat, wiping at her tears, smearing her face with mud. "When I thought my luck couldn't get any worse ..."

"Look, I know I'm not your favorite person," he said.

"I never said that," she argued, trying to shift to stand up only to yell out in pain. "God damn it!"

"I think you broke your leg, Bella. Will you let me help you?" he asked. She pouted, but nodded curtly. Edward got to her, gently lifting her out of the mess of rocks, shrubbery, and sand. He sat down on a fallen tree with Bella on his lap, examining her. That's when he saw the bandage on her finger. "What happened?"

"Nothing," she answered stubbornly.

"Nothing like breaking your leg trying to get away from me?" Edward retorted, arching a brow.

"I wasn't getting away from you. I was trying to ignore that girl flirting with you," she sneered. "Not like I have any right to care about that ..."

"Yes, she was flirting with me, but she reminded me too much of my ex-girlfriend. All fluff, no substance, only seeing what she wanted to see and not who I really am," Edward sighed. "I'm not interested in her. Not in the least. I'm interested in you, but you ghosted me. If you don't want to do anything with me, fine. But, at least give me the common courtesy of a goodbye."

"I'm sorry," she sniffled. "I should have ..."

"Bella, I know you were hurt. What Jacob did to you was abhorrent, but not everyone is like him. Now, I need to get you back up to the party and you need to go the hospital. This leg is broken. I'm not a doctor, but it's bent at an angle that is not natural," he sighed with a weary voice. "Arms around my neck. Hold tight."

Bella did as he requested, and she felt the tension in his body as he carefully maneuvered back up to the top of the embankment. When they crested the hill, Edward strode across the yard. Charlie jumped up, running to them. "Little Bell, what the hell happened?"

"My own stupidity," she muttered. "Edward thinks it's broken."

Carlisle came over, inspecting Bella's injury. "I agree with his assessment. You missed your calling, Edward. You should have become a doctor," he quipped. "Edward, can you put her in my car? I'll take her to Harborview."

"I'll go with you, Little Bell," Charlie said.

"No, stay ... my problem, I'll deal with it," Bella sighed.

"I'll come with you," Edward grumbled. "I'm parked behind you, Carlisle. You're blocked in."

"Follow me to the hospital. I've got an in," Carlisle snickered.

They left Charlie's home, driving to Harborview Medical Center. Bella was quiet, whimpering in pain. Edward gave her some water, focused on the road as he followed Carlisle. "I'm a bitch," she whispered. "I was hurt, and I lashed out, cutting you down. Cutting you out of my life."

"Bella, I'm fully aware of how you feel about me," Edward sighed, shaking his head. "Can we not?"

"If you didn't want to hear me out, why did you volunteer to come to the hospital?" she asked. "And, you have no idea how I feel about you, Edward."

"Actions speak louder than words. I know I shouldn't be this angry, but I thought we had something growing," he snapped. "I was happy for a new friend, someone who got me ... but, you shut me out."

Bella's eyes welled with tears, from the pain in her leg and pain in her heart for hearing how much her actions had hurt him. He came to Seattle to start fresh. She'd helped him acclimate to the new city and after one moment, she pushed him away. Shoving him away as far she could. "I'm sorry," she whispered brokenly. Edward didn't respond, parking in the ambulance bay and getting out. He got an orderly and wheelchair, helping Bella into it. She reached his hand, jumping when the shimmering jolt traveled through their palms. "Will you stay?"

"I don't know," he answered honestly. "I'm certain Carlisle can drive you back to your home." The slightly panicked look in her eyes broke him. "I'll stay, but this doesn't mean we're okay, Bella. I was hurt by how you ghosted me. Not everyone who fights is like your douchebag ex. I'll see you inside."

Climbing back into the car, Edward parked his Volvo in the parking garage. Walking back to the emergency room, he was ushered back into the room where Bella was staying until she could have her leg x-rayed. Her face was red and splotchy, a clear indication that she'd been crying. However, Edward wasn't sure if it was due to her being in pain or for how she treated him. He flagged down a nurse, getting some more water for her along with a fresh box of tissues.

"Thank you," Bella sniffled when he handed her the items. "I know you don't want to hear it, but I am sorry for disappearing. You scare me."

"Explain that, please," Edward sighed. He promised Emmett and Jasper that he'd had an open mind, but seeing her at the barbecue along with her cold reception in the house? It made him prickly.

Yes, he was attracted to her. Extremely so, but was that attraction worth getting shit on?

He was also protective of her and felt more for Bella than he felt for Victoria. Again, was that worth being ghosted?

All because of his choice of occupation?

"You scare me because what I feel for you is ten times what I felt for Jacob," Bella whispered, fat tears slipping down her dirty face. "That scares me more than anything ..."

A/N: So, Bella's in a pickle. She essentially cut off all communication with Edward. He has feelings. She has feelings. Bella ghosted him and he honestly didn't want to deal with it. Coupled with Bree's advances?

Can you say clusterfuck?

Now, what will happen? Leave me your thoughts.

Not many pictures with this one ... but the few I do have are on my blog. The link is in my profile. I'm also on FB: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation. Twitter, too: tufano79.

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 7.6K 26
When Alexis Hayes was only 6, rogues attacked her home in Arizona. Thinking the area was unsafe, her parents sent her packing to her aunts house in C...
696K 29.3K 49
*cover made by newgirlmoon* Elliot Matlin promised herself not to get caught up with her best friend's bad boy of an ex-boyfriend, Laughlin...
592K 20.4K 42
They say the hit that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming. That hit was Paisley Dean - the one who got away - and I've spent every day sin...
11.8K 564 20
In the blink of an eye, your world can change. You can experience the greatest happiness ... or succumb to the world's worst pain, losing someone tha...