The Trouble with Evie

By xMishx

Mean girls and gorgeous guys, too much homework and a restrictive guardian. A typical life for a teen girl, r... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
The End... Almost
The Trouble With Hades

Chapter 10

84 17 2
By xMishx

I was tired. Walking through the corridors at school, it felt like I bumped into every single person in the entire building. Of course, I knew it wasn't the case. If it were, I'd have Audrey Hartley glaring at me, snapping her fork tongue with acidic words of hate.

Scrubbing my eyes, I yawned and turned to my lonesome corridor of darkness. Only I wasn't alone. It was the purple-eyed boy, and it looked like he was waiting for me.

His eyes were definitely purple. There was no mistaking them for blue.

"They're coming for you," he said softly.

"Who are?"

"Who are what?"

I gasped, turning around to see Audrey behind me. The other girls were not with her. I'd managed to avoid all of them until now.

"I was,"

Turning back, the boy was gone.

"Nothing," I murmured.

The wise me said to be wary of looking like a lunatic by asking if she'd seen the guy with purple eyes that had disappeared into thin air. This place was clearly more than just a boring town.

"You're Evelyn, right?"

"Yeah, everyone calls me Evie."

Except for Niko, but I couldn't exactly say that.

Audrey smiled as if it was beneath her to offer the gesture to me. Almost like she was being forced into this by a certain master or a father desperate for attention from the very same master.

"I'm Audrey. You're new to Hades."

"Yeah, arrived just over a week ago."

Gritting that forced smile, Audrey clutched her books to her chest as if they were the only thing that could save her. She was picture-perfect, looking like she'd spent a long time deciding on the right cashmere sweater to match the school skirt. It wasn't the school's official jumper, yet it seemed as if no one cared.

The blond curls were artfully placed on either side of her neck, with pink barrettes clipped to the side. Everything was coordinated. Being this close to someone who was the complete opposite must be incredibly difficult.

"Well, that's good, I guess. So, I heard you're living on the east side."

In the house with a crack in the basement wall? Why yes, Audrey, you are right.

"Yeah, we found a cute house the other day."

"You know it's haunted, don't you?"

"That's what the removalists said, but the builder that fixed the wall said it was rubbish. I wonder who is telling the truth."

I pretended that I was shocked when I gasped.

"Maybe it was the builder. After all, he's working for the real estate, and if we leave because of it, then the real estate will have to pay to move us into another house. They didn't tell us it was haunted. Isn't that illegal?"

"Well, I don't,"

"Gosh, Audrey, maybe the builder was being paid off to keep us there."

"No, I don't think,"

"You are so right. I'm glad that you brought this to my attention. My uncle is not going to be happy at all. If we have to move because of it,"

I shook my head, putting my hands on my hips.

"He'll be so behind in his work. Then there will be a delay in getting better coverage in this area."

"Coverage?"

Audrey's frown deepened.

"Yeah, my uncle works for a company that has a government contract for the communications towers. We move around so that he can do the pre-setup works before they start the digging and building. I guess a few more months without cell phone coverage won't matter much."

Her eyes widened. Like everyone in this town, she had the little rectangle permanently attached to her hand, and like everyone else, she complained that the reception was awful. I know because it's all I have ever heard. Brad will be labeled as a hero, I'm sure of it.

"You know, I think it's fine. There's no such thing as ghosts, right?"

"Yeah, I know."

Her smile seemed less of an effort now. In fact, she seemed to shift with restrained excitement.

"So, we're getting better coverage in this town?"

"Well, this is the beginning. My uncle will scope out a few good places, discuss them with his boss, and approach the necessary people. It's all preliminary at the moment. You'd be surprised at how many people protest at having a tower near them. They want great coverage, but they don't want the towers. Can't have one without the other."

Audrey was nearly frothing at the mouth. I think that if I said that she could apply to have the tower in her yard, she'd believe me and happily skip off home to start the process.

"Yeah, it's a bummer but necessary."

When I looked at Audrey, I could see someone who, despite her best intentions, would reveal the game far too early if left to her own devices. The question I had was if she went home and told her father of this conversation, would he pick up on it, or would he be oblivious as well? It could go either way, so it was best to keep the questions limited and mixed.

"How long have you lived in Hades?"

"All my life," she said, beaming her smile. "I just love the place. It's so pretty."

"That's cool."

It wasn't. Boring was a better choice of word.

"What's the place like? It seems pretty laid back."

"Oh yeah," she said. I noted a distinct hesitation in her tone.

"The builder was acting like there are some freaky people in this town. I'm not allowed to walk to or from school. Crazy, right?"

Audrey stared at me.

"Yeah," she said softly, slowly drawing out the word.

"Do your parents let you walk around with your friends?"

"Only in a group. We leave from one house together."

So, her father is besties with the head honcho vampire, and he still can't trust them not to attack his kid. That was interesting.

Niko was right when he said that I'd see that he was different from the others. We'd been in the same room as each other many times for several hours as well. He'd fed from me, and I wasn't dead. We slept in the same house as each other. Yes, it would seem that Niko was vastly different from the other vampires in this town. It certainly explained a lot.

"Well, I have to go. My uncle will be waiting for me, and if I'm late, then no towers, right?"

Audrey smiled though I could see a lot of hesitation on her face.

"Yeah, I guess."

Turning the corner, I moved quickly to avoid Audrey catching up to me. I didn't want to encourage her in any way.

Brad frowned at me as I opened the door.

"Sorry. The local wildlife cornered me."

"Uh-huh."

As soon as the door was shut, Brad pulled out of the parking space. He didn't speed, but I watched him push it to the limit on every street.

When we got home, Brad returned to his office, grunting something about dinner. My concerns were elsewhere, so I didn't hear him.

Niko was waiting for me and listened to everything that happened, then took a few minutes to think about the information. There was a studious look on his face.

"I think,"

"Yeah?"

"I think I like the way that you find the facts without alerting those around you as to what you're up to."

I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Thank you, Niko. You are, as always, a gentleman. It's not the time for it, though."

"Would you rather I was rude?"

"No, but,"

"But nothing, Evelyn. We have a symbiotic relationship, and I wish to keep things pleasant. I also appreciate the efforts that you go to without any prompting on my part. It shows me that not only do you care, but you strive to be an ideal familiar. You make me realize that my choice in you was extremely wise."

"Okay, sorry."

Setting the book aside, Niko crossed his leg and thought about it some more. I was on edge. I needed to know what was going to happen, what he thought they'd do.

"I saw the guy with purple eyes again."

Niko stopped thinking and gave me a stern look.

"What do you mean again?"

"Didn't I tell you?"

"No. Tell me about both times, please."

"The first time was at the enrolment interview. He was sitting in the reception area, bag at his feet. He looked at me but didn't say anything. This morning he was waiting for me when I turned the corner to my locker. He said they're coming for you, as in me. I tried to ask him what he meant, but Audrey turned up, and the guy was gone. Who or what is he?"

Niko sighed, getting up from the seat. He crossed the room to look out the dormer window. It was a view of the forest, and Niko liked the view. He said he used to spend a lot of time up here when this house officially belonged to him. Now he considered himself a houseguest and nothing more. It was not his house. It hadn't been that way for a long time.

"Nephilim, a creation of an unholy union between a fallen angel and a demon. There are only a few in existence, as it is rare for an angel to become fallen and even rarer for them to associate with a demon. The creation grows rapidly, becoming an adult in an unfathomable time. When they reach the end of the growth cycle, they are seen to be complete. They do not always appear as a young person. Because they are both angel and demon, they can alter their appearance, move quickly and without being seen. It is beyond comprehension what they can do and I find it surprising that one is here. Did your uncle see him the other day?"

I nodded, which seemed to surprise Niko.

"That would be because the Nephilim wanted that and no other reason. They only show themselves to people of their choosing. It is curious. Though I think it is not worth taking seriously at the moment. What is more intriguing is his determination to find you and deliver his message. I don't see this being about the vampires. Once you are no longer associated with me, they will have no interest in you other than feeding. I can lure them away from you by pre-empting their attack and leaving the house. No, this is something else entirely. Who? Who would come for you, Evelyn?"

I shrugged.

"No idea."

Niko's eyes narrowed as he turned to look at me.

"We have company," Niko said softly.

His eyes shifted to the staircase. I stood and moved to see Brad at the bottom of the stairs. He looked a little angry.

Turning back to Niko, I shrugged.

"I guess it's time."

"So be it."

I quickly walked down the stairs. Brad stepped back.

"Did you bring a guy home?"

"Uh, not quite. This is going to be really hard for you to accept, so I want you to calm down and come up to the attic."

"No on both counts."

"I did not invite him into the house, Brad. He was already living here. Come up to the attic, please."

Not waiting for his response, I turned and walked back up the stairs. Niko was sitting in his seat again. I guess this was his attempt at being less threatening.

Brad warily walked up the stairs. He looked at the man that, while looking human, didn't really appear to be correct.

"Okay, we'll start with introductions. This is my uncle Brad."

Niko nodded his head with a subdued smile. Hiding those fangs for now.

"Brad, this is Niko Corbin. He is the original owner of this house. He was behind the wall in the basement, and he is a vampire."

Slowly Brad turned and looked at me.

"Have you lost your mind?"

"Bradley, please sit, and we can get to know each other as Evelyn and I have done over the past few days."

"You kept this from me?"

"Well, you wouldn't believe me when I said the wall spoke to me, so what do you expect me to do when I find out it's because we've got a vampire trapped in our house?"

Brad huffed indignantly, then lumped himself into the chair.

"Okay, regale me with this nonsense."

"I was trapped behind that wall for sixty years, punishment for daring to be alive when another vampire had delusions of grandeur. This is the sad tale that we were yet to get to, Evelyn. Hades is actually Corbin territory. My second in charge decided that he wanted several things, and one of them was to rule. He demanded that I hand over the territory to him. I would not do it, so he put me behind the wall. No doubt he claimed that I am dead and that I gave the rule to him."

"Do you know why he didn't kill you?"

"Yes," Niko whispered. "I mean not to lie to you, Evelyn, but it is something that I find troubling to think about. He could not kill me as it would not work, not when I had a child that could take over the leadership. All covens are ruled by a family member. When no one comes forward to take the claim after death, then the second in charge is given the posting."

"Where's your child?"

Niko shrugged, sadly looking away.

"I sent the child and my wife away for safety reasons, and I have not seen them since."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4M 199K 54
"Fate is tricky and her time is limited. She can love without reason, and forgive without thought - that is her curse and her gift. Be that as it may...
13.9M 370K 45
Book One in the Soul Seeker Series. At fifteen Amelia is forced to move in with her birthfather when her mother passes away. A man she's never met be...
316K 14.8K 43
The long-awaited conclusion to The King's Choice. __________________________________________ Avery Crawford is trying to take her new relationship w...
8.1M 373K 73
[book one] The game was simple: A contest comprised of three unique challenges, designed to test a human's strength physically and mentally, their pe...