Second Time's a Charm (MxM)✔

Bởi DarkSparx

Cain, an ex-noble, dies as a common thief thanks to the manipulation of his wicked half-brother. Luckily, the... Xem Thêm

Trigger Warnings
Chapter 1 - Reflection
Chapter 2 - Family Matters
Chapter 3 - Funding
Chapter 4 - Invitation
Chapter 5 - Seducing the Butler
Chapter 6 - Speeding Things Up
Chapter 7 - Who's in Charge?
Chapter 8 - Shopping
Chapter 10 - Abduction (TW)
Chapter 11 - Setback
Chapter 12 - Sabre Maddox
Chapter 13 - A Trick
Chapter 14 - The Dryad
Chapter 15 - Breaking Ground
Chapter 16 - Formal Meeting
Chapter 17 - Handle with Care
Chapter 18 - Something Changed
Chapter 19 - Demon Summoning
Chapter 20 - The Crime
Chapter 21 - Business
Chapter 22 - Enjoying the Moment
Chapter 23 - Getting the Mail
Chapter 24 - Crime
Chapter 25 - The Tour
Chapter 26 - Round Two
Chapter 27 - Change of Plans
Chapter 28 - The Choice is Yours
Chapter 29 - Who did it?
Chapter 30 - Acting Too Rash
Chapter 31 - On The Lam
Chapter 32 - Risky Business
Chapter 33 - Trusting the Enemy
Chapter 34 - The Upper Hand
Chapter 35 - Working Overtime
Chapter 36 - Watching the Battle
Chapter 37 - Turn of Events
Chapter 38 - The Fight
Chapter 39 - Let's Get Dangerous
Chapter 40 - Taking a Trip
Chapter 41 - Gossip
Chapter 42 - Work
Chapter 43 - What to do?
Chapter 44 - New Ashbury
Chapter 45 - Enigma
Chapter 46 - A Royal Tea Party
Chapter 47 -A Grim Situation
Chapter 48 - Guilt
Chapter 49 - Goals
Chapter 50 - Battle
Chapter 51 - Partnership
Chapter 52 - Overworked
Chapter 53 - Inspection
Chapter 54 - Being Domestic
Chapter 55 - Revealing The Truth
Chapter 56 - Andrew
Chapter 57 - Desperate Measures
Chapter 58 - I Expected A Fight
Chapter 59 - Pathetic Little Man
Chapter 60 - How Convenient
Chapter 61 - Invading the Palace
Chapter 62 - Peace Talks and Ceremonies
Chapter 63 - Wedding Jitters
Author's Notes/Upcoming Stories

Chapter 9 - The Gala Disaster

4K 388 75
Bởi DarkSparx

The uneasiness in his gut grew the further they walked. Eventually, it occurred to Cain that it may not be Maddox spying on him, but someone else.

Did someone from the jewelry shop see him pawn off the diamond? Perhaps this person was keen on robbing him?

He couldn't have that. Furthermore, he didn't want his new wealth traced back to the Duclair manor. He'd have to lose them somehow.

"Don't look, but I think we're being followed." He whispered to Norton, who didn't seem surprised at all. "Keep your hood up and follow me. I know where we can lose them."

The servant nodded, and suddenly, Cain broke out in a sprint. The two of them rushed down the street, cloaks billowing behind them, before diving into a nearby alleyway.

Quickly he weaved between the buildings, heading closer to the heart of the city. He knew they'd be sitting ducks if they ran for the horse. There wouldn't be enough obstacles to hide them along the way. Their best option would be a crowd.

It took some time, but eventually, the two arrived out of breath near the palace where this evening's Gala was happening. Cain had already weighed his options and decided that it was less risky to be caught by his family than it was to be caught by a potential assassin. Urging Norton along, they dove into the bushes near the side garden and removed their cloaks.

"When we go in, you'll need to keep to the walls with the other servants. I'll hide among the partygoers and hopefully we'll blend in enough to lose whoever is chasing us." He explained.

"You don't think I'll stand out with all this going on?" The servant gestured at his still-healing face.

"Only as much as I will if my family recognizes me. Just try facing the walls as much as possible. No one usually bothers the guest's servants anyways. I'll get you when I feel it's safe."

Norton sighed skeptically but obeyed. Quickly they snuck out from between the rosebushes until they were right outside the arch that lead to the guest hall. He nodded towards Norton, who tried to look like he belonged as he walked into the party.

Cain had only intended his formal clothes to be used to avoid getting turned away by the jeweler, but now it seemed they'd come in handy once again.

Straightening his back, he followed after Norton and started heading for the thickest cluster of partygoers.

There were aristocrats from all over the Empire here. Women in brightly colored, oversized dresses fanned themselves, eyeing potential partners while the men chatted among themselves, sipping wine and making jokes. Above the hall was an enormous crystal chandelier, reflecting flecks of dazzling light as servants walked around with plates of appetizers.

He searched the sea of faces in case his family was nearby, but luckily didn't spot them yet. Naturally, he wanted to head towards the food, or hide along the wall with the servants, but the point of attending today was to blend in, not stand out. So as much as he hated it, he had to awkwardly walk between the gaggles of nobles with a purposeful look so that no one would notice he was there alone.

After a good ten minutes of this, he felt ridiculous and finally stopped to find something else to do. It was too soon to think whoever had followed him had already given up, so he didn't want to leave yet. But as he glanced up at the balconies above, he spotted someone unexpected.

Wearing a crimson red tailcoat, black vest, top hat, and pinstriped pants was none other than his former boss, Maddox.

Maddox held himself with debonair grace. He had one hand on the railing as he surveyed the crowds. His black hair was tied back out of his angular face revealing a vague interest in the evening's activities.

Cain wondered how this man had never been caught if he'd been showing up to social events like this so casually.

Then again, he wouldn't have been surprised if the man had crashed the party so he could speak to men in power.

Suddenly a servant came up from behind Maddox and whispered something in his ear. The villains look of boredom turned into one of interest as he turned and disappeared out of sight.

What was that about?

Cain's curiosity was about to get the better of him as he made for the stairs to try and find out when a tug on his shoulder stopped him in his tracks.

"Is that you dear brother?" Andrew held him in place, his eyes looking accusingly but his voice faking excitement. "I thought you'd decided not to attend?"

Cain forced a smile, having failed to pay attention to his surroundings at such an imperative moment. "It would seem I've changed my mind."

"Cain?" One of the women from his brother's fan group asked. She had her black hair piled high in intricate braids. Her dress was gold and yellow, with white accents and strings of gems adorning her neck and ears. "Oh, how....sweet. I've always wondered what your little brother looked like." Her eyes scanned him up and down, unimpressed.

It'd been a decade since Cain had attended a large party like this, so he wasn't surprised that she nor any of the other girls swarming his brother, were familiar with what he looked like. But, why did she say he was Andrews's little brother??

"Excuse me?" He asked. "Little?"

"Yes. He is two years younger than me. But be warned, he doesn't like the word 'little'." Andrew interjected, then his eyes flicked downwards suggestively, causing the women to all giggle irritatingly.

Cain just looked on in disbelief. "You must be mistaken. I am the eld-"

"Right, I apologize. I won't make such...minor remarks, again." Andrew cut him off with purpose. "Anyways, ladies, you were so curious about him, well today's your lucky day I supposed."

"But your father just said he wasn't good with social events like these?" Another woman with blond hair and a green dress spoke up, eyeing Cain just as skeptically.

So that was the real reason why his parents hadn't wanted him to attend parties. All these years, without his participation, they were free to lie about which of them was the eldest, thus making it easier to hand the title off to Andrew without a problem. And all this time, Cain had thought it was about marriage...

"Don't be so rude!" Yet a third woman, this time a brunette in a red and pink dress with tons of powder on her face, stepped up. Unlike the others, she addressed Cain directly. "I heard you've been taking care of a homeless man?"

Cain started to smile, seeing a silver lining in this discussion, and opened his mouth to embellish the story of how Norton came into his service, but Andrew cut him off for a third time.

"It's best not to bring up my brother's punishments, as innocent as the question may be."

"Punishment?" Cain asked.

"Yes." Andrew frowned. "After all, you were the one who injured that poor man in the first place."

Cain's eyes widened. "I did not!"

"Lower your voice, dear brother." Andrew warned. "You're drawing attention."

Some of the others started staring at Cain, drawn by the sounds of their argument.

"Let them. I'll not have such lies spread about me!"

"What lies?" The blond woman asked. "Everyone knows. Your parents have been trying to keep it quiet, but it's the worst-kept secret in society right now."

Cain's eyes shot to every malicious face in the crowd before resting on Andrew, who was faking a disappointed look.

Right. That's always been Andrew's game. Spread unnecessary rumors about Cain and destroy his reputation. The only difference this time was that now he knew his parents were in on it too.

"Oh no. It seems my little brother is now embarrassed to have his violent temper exposed. I'm sure these lovely ladies don't mind keeping quiet about it for the remainder of the night, right?" Andrew continued.

"I need to go." Cain tried to step away before he showed them just how bad his temper could get, only for his brother to latch onto his arm.

"So soon? But you only just got here! People will talk if they see you leave so abruptly."

People are already talking! Cain thought angrily. But then another man walked up to the group. He looked sternly at Andrew, then at Cain, noticing his lack of adornment. Usually, members of this party decorated themselves with fine jewels, medals, and such, but because Cain knew he'd be doing some sketchy work today he had failed to bring anything he hadn't already pawned off. This made him look rather underdressed, despite his formal attire.

"Gentlemen. Is there a problem here?" The man asked through a bushy mustache. His eyes were sharp and judgmental, and he had his hands folded behind him as though he were chastising two children.

"Not at all, Duke Rolfe. My brother and I were just about to have a drink." Andrew gestured for one of the servants to come by with a platter of wine glasses. He grabbed two and handed one to Cain.

Cain took it hesitantly. As much as he wanted to lash out and leave, he'd only draw more attention to himself and if he was still being followed, he'd be spotted in an instant.

No. He had to keep his cool and go along, if just for now.

"Yes, dear brother." He seethed.

"Excellent. See ladies? My brother isn't so bad if you give him a chance." He grinned before holding up his glass. "May my brother finally find his rightful place in society, wherever that may be."

It was a mock toast, but Cain was expected to drink to it regardless. Thus was the ridiculousness of social etiquette. So he finished the scarce drink quickly, then excused himself.

He could feel their eyes on him, judging his every move, expecting him to do something off-putting.

He hated it here.

But at least he avoided drawing any more unwanted attention. Nonetheless, he couldn't stand wandering the crowds. Now that he'd been called out as a Duclair, there were people randomly looking his way and muttering his name, so he decided to throw caution to the wind and head towards the garden.

Once he was out in the fresh air, he took a deep breath and tried to calm his now frayed nerves. It was at this point that his legs began to feel weak.

All the stress from that conversation must have gotten to him, so he searched for a place to sit down and regain his composure.

For a few moments, he listened to the mixed voices from the party. It was hard to decipher what they each were saying, but he was sure it was probably about him. His brother was probably running around, coming up with more rumors behind is back. Meanwhile Cain couldn't do anything about it, because no one present would listen to his side. 

He felt absolutely helpless in this situation, and it boiled his blood knowing his family would stoop so low. Perhaps he should make a scene just like they wanted? Maybe it'd be worth getting a hit or two in?

Standing up, his legs buckled and Cain nearly fell flat on his face. Luckily he managed to remain on his feet, but it was at this point he realized that not only were his legs weak, but his body felt hot. Too hot!

The drink...

Andrew, that bastard! As if verbally humiliating him wasn't enough!

Stumbling against the wall, he knew he had to leave the party before he made a bigger spectacle of himself. If they saw him walking so unevenly, then the guests would probably think he'd gotten drunk like some unsophisticated alcoholic! Or worse...He looked down at the very obvious bulge growing between his legs.

He would have preferred a hallucinogen to this. At least then he'd be too incoherent to be embarrassed.

Swallowing hard, he tried to remain focused on the marbled floors as he felt along the walls, steadying himself until he was near the front and keeping his body facing away from the guests. He had to get out of there before he reinforced his brothers rumors about him being a drunkard as well. Unfortunately, the drug was kicking in too fast for him to find Norton without risking anyone noticing his dilemma. He had to get out of sight!

"Is that man alright?" He heard someone ask, and realized he was leaning too heavily against the wall.

Straightening his posture as much as possible, he picked up the pace, getting weaker with every step, until he was finally outside near the coaches.

He couldn't stop yet. He couldn't let his limbs give out where everyone could see. There was no telling what his brother would do next. Or worse, his family might check his person and find the money he had hidden in his pocket.

If they found his account, they could use their influence to have everything taken away. And that was something he couldn't allow!

He followed the road, aiming for the most crowded areas so that he wouldn't stand out too much in case he was still being followed. There were a good number of people out and about because of the Gala, so he should be fine. Even if anyone noticed him here, they were only commoners. It didn't matter what they witnessed because they were the least likely to recognize him.

He'd have to apologize to Norton later, Cain thought vaguely as the drug fully kicked in, and he fell to the ground, no longer able to sustain his legs.

---

This story is Copyrighted ©Darksparx via Wattpad. Do not translate, post, or publish on any other platforms without the author's express permission.

Please consider tipping the author at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/DarkSparx if you enjoy this story! Coffee link is also on my profile. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

205K 7.6K 14
The boy is completely shut down. A broken shell is what they turned him into, his human side nearly gone, the alpha in him tortured into full submiss...
66.2K 4.4K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
164K 10.9K 38
Incent, a young hunter, is thrown into a dark and terrible job by his King. He is asked to assassinate a Prince from a neighbouring Kingdom. Knowing...
231K 6.8K 18
"I'll keep you by my side until you learn your place, and even then I won't let you go." "Won't you show this arrogant god how much you want him, my...