The Queen's Game

By The_Queen_107

"This is a male dominated business Rowan! You won't make it one minute without my help." My father said aggra... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: "Watch me"
Chapter 2: Ego Battle
Chapter 3: The Northern Heir
Chapter 4: Frenemies
Chapter 5: Mason Reed
Chapter 6: The Heir Ball (Part 1)
Chapter 7: The Heir Ball (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Unknown
Chapter 9: "It's you in dog form"
Chapter 10: Introducing the five foot child
Chapter 11: Don't Question It
Chapter 12: Birthday Madness (Part 1)
Trailer!!!
Chapter 13: Birthday Madness (Part 2)
Chapter 14: Target Practice
(Character Cheat Sheet) Authors Note #1
Chapter 15: Sweets Overload
Chapter 16: Ambush
Chapter 17: Beware The Moody Rowan
Chapter 18: Birthday Surprises
Chapter 19: "Is this the part where you yell?"
Chapter 20: The Anniversary
Chapter 21: The One Where He Fuck's Up, Big Time
Chapter 22: Bitch Boy
Chapter 23: Apologies
Chapter 24: The Group
Chapter 25: Ruby
Chapter 26: "Douchebag on a Motorcycle"
Chapter 27: Spooky Scary Skeletons
Chapter 28: The Girl With Blonde Hair
Chapter 29: Secrets and Lies
Chapter 30: The Silent Treatment
Chapter 31: Sweet Morning Texts of Murder
Chapter 32: "I'm About to Fight his Bitch"
Chapter 33: Bribery
Chapter 34: Old People
Chapter 35: Newlyweds
Chapter 36: Night Out
Chapter 37: Dance Battle of Death
Chapter 38: Starting Point
Chapter 39: Period Problems
Chapter 40: The Holiday Spirt
Chapter 41: Threats
Chapter 42: Washington
Chapter 43: Shotgun
Chapter 44: Embrace for Impact
Chapter 45: Cause for Concern
Chapter 46: Things Get Ugly
Chapter 47: In The Moment
Chapter 48: Headlines

Chapter 49: Bloodhounds

46 2 3
By The_Queen_107

POV: Rowan Collins

~~~

I stared at the computer screen, my mind turning so impossibly fast that it went blank. And I probably would have stayed like that a while longer if it went for my phone going off.

Incoming call... Tay (Front Gate)

"Tay, now's really not a good time." Especially not when I've got six people looking at me for what to do.

"Yeah I'm gathering that, but we've got a problem at the front gate. Like a big one." I don't like the sound of that, not one bit.

"What kind of problem Tay?" Mira ran to look at the front windows while I waited for Tay to give me a report.

"There are a shit ton of news vans out here. All with their cameras and microphones and trying to get us to open the gates and let them up to the house."

Fuck

At this point, I lean back against my desk and look at Mira who has controlled panic and concern etched on her face. "Do not let anyone pass those gates, do you understand me? Not a single person with a fucking camera Tay."

"No shit. No, I'd like to lose my job today let me just open the gates to the fucking mob of people." I bring my other hand up and start rubbing the bridge of my nose, feeling the headache that is building.

"Not the time for your jokes Tay, not the time."

"Yeah, but what do you want us to do? Because I'm worried that some of these psychos are gonna try to jump the fence and I don't think you want us to go with our usual shot-on-sight rule."

Oh fuck, I bring the phone down away from my ear and turn to Jack whos still just standing there.

"Get me a direct line to all the security people, now!"

He jumps right to it and uses the phone on my desk to start connecting everyone. While he's doing that I bring the phone back to my ear, "Tay make sure everyone has their fucking earpieces in." I hang up my cell and turn back to my desk and grab the phone that Jack hands me.

"This is Rowan, do not engage with the press. Do you understand me, DO NOT ENGAGE! No guns, do not pull your weapons. I do not want to have to explain why one of my security guards shot someone expressing their freedom of the press no matter how annoying they are."

I get a chorus of agreement grunts and I hung up the phone. Looking around Jack, Matty, Candy, Char, and Linc are still just standing there not doing shit.

"Candy I want to know who lacked that fucking document, how the fuck they got it, and which set of contracts it's from. And I want to know as soon as fucking possible." She nods and runs out of the room and heads to the basement.

"Some go get my father!" I yell this into the hall and see someone book it upstairs to where my father's office is. Before I can dish out any more orders I see Luke sprinting full speed toward my office.

"ROWAN, ROWAN WE'VE GOT A HUGE PROBLEM!!" He's running so fast that when he makes it to my office he slams right into Linc who he almost takes down but they manage to stabilize themselves.

We all look at him waiting to see if he has a new problem or if he's just late to the party that is this monstrosity. However, it is entertaining watching him trying to catch his breath with his hands on his knees heaving.

"Some- someone leaked a copy of- of your contact... to the media. Oh my god, I'm out of shape."

It would be funny if this situation wasn't so fucked. "Yeah, Luke I know. And there is a hoard of blood-hungry news people and vans outside that know it too."

"Oh, yeah okay. Well, what are we gonna do? Like how did they even get that, who would even have access to that and why give it to the press when every single person that enters that building signs an NDA."

He had a good point, legally I would be able to nail this person to the wall for violating the NDA that they most likely signed if they had access to this goddamn file. But on the other side of things when I get my hands on this person I'm gonna burn them to the ground.

"What is all the yelling about, Rowan please tell me this isn't true. Tell me someone didn't leak a part of our contract to the press." My dad was walking down the stairs, phone in hand with Andy trailing right behind him.

"I wish I could tell you that it wasn't but unfortunately the bloodhounds have the right scent. So now, short of letting Matty have target practice, how do we get them off of the front lawn?" Andy, of course, looked stressed though I suppose that is his regular state and my father looked slightly amused.

"I'm in favor of some target practice for the boy but that probably wouldn't look too good on the twelve o'clock news. And legally as long as the hounds are on the street outside the gate there on public property." He made himself comfy in one of the chairs in front of my desk and Andy was pacing.

"Our first problem is finding out who leaked the contract to the press then we deal with them and find out if it's a move against the company or against me and the North. I have Candy on it and if anyone can find this son of a bitch it's her."

He chuckled and leaned his head over the back of the chair, "This situation will only get worse if more of the contract is released. The paparazzi are one thing but having the FBI on us would not be ideal."

"No shit." We all looked at Luke who was still in the doorway and hadn't quite gotten the hit to sneak out the door with the others when my dad came in.

Andy shot him a glare, and with that Luke ducked out of the room. Most likely going to find the others or a way to fix this disaster.

Hopefully the latter.

I walk around the desk and take a seat in my chair, Andy's still pacing in the space next to me and muttering about Luke under his breath.

"Has Elliot called yet, is he even awake? What time is it in Washington?" Through the doorway, I saw Mira walking back to my office with Luke with her.

"Seven-fifty, and no call yet but he may also not be awake yet. But I'm surprised that I haven't gotten any calls from Maggy, she's usually up at the crack of dawn." Derrick was clicking through his phone, probably checking the news site to make sure any more of the contract was making the circuits.

Mira comes to a stop in the doorway, Luke next to her partly hiding behind her. "They're still out there shoving their cameras in the security face for a quote from you Rowan. I hate to ask again but what do you want us to do?"

I lean back in my chair and close my eyes because I have absolutely no idea. I never expected that this would happen and that I would have to try and figure out how to be in the public eye with the media and shit. Elliot always dealt with it, he was good at it and I was most definitely not.

"Okay, first Mira I want you to get the location of every single board member. I want to know where they are, what they've been doing, and who they've spoken to in the last forty-two hours. Then I want someone to get Elliot on a plane from Seattle to New York as soon as possible, and tell him to bring whatever media team he has."

Rubbing my eyes at this point was just causing more pain, "And someone get me some painkillers, pronto."

Mira gave me a soft smile and walked off with Luke trailing behind her. Off to the side Andy stopped pacing and went to walk out with his phone to his ear, he mouthed Elliot to me before walking out leaving me with my father.

"Hopefully we can get this settled and under wraps before it becomes a more serious problem. For the company and for you and the North's dealing with our clients." He had a point, if any part of the less legal dealings of our family got out it would be problematic, to say the least.

"I just can't believe that the press got here so fast and that we didn't know about it before they set up a war camo outside the front gates." It was a real inconvenience, no one would be able to get through the gate to leave or to come to the house. It would visit letting the more stupid reported to get through the gates.

"Yeah, unfortunately, that fucks everything for us, no one will be able to do anything without the risk of a camera being shoved up their ass." We both chuckled but then something clicked, there was media in town. In a town run by gangs and illegal activity.

Oh fuck

"LINCOLN! Get in here!!!" My scream made my dad jump but at the moment that wasn't my biggest concern. I heard footsteps from the hall as I pulled the phone closer to me.

"What? Why are you yelling at me I didn't do nothing." My dad took that as his queue and left the room probably to go find Andy and talk to his brother.

"We've got a problem." I dialed the phone and put it on speaker waiting.

He took a seat in the chair my dad had been sitting in and propped his feet up on the edge of my desk. "No, you have a problem. I have an entertaining show."

I glared at him and the line finally picked up, "What do you want." Instead of the voice, I was expecting I was greeted with the miserable voice of Mason Reed.

Linc gave me a curious look but I just ignored him, "Why are you answering your son's phone?" I did not have time for this, and I really just didn't want to deal with him.

"Because he's not here and it was ringing, so what do you want? I can see from the news that you're having quite the morning." Well, I guess I'll just have to deal with this ass.

"Well as I just told Lincoln, while yes this may seem like a me problem it's actually an all of us problem." Linc still looked confused but Mason just scored through the phone.

"No, that just sounds like a you problem sweetheart, I don't see how this involves me."

Don't throw the phone, don't throw the phone, don't throw the phone.

"Because there are hoards of press with cameras outside my house that I'll bet are willing to follow any car they think I might be in.

"Still don't see how this is my problem." I really don't understand how this man is married to such a sweet woman.

"Okay, ill dumb this down for you, press outside my house means press in Egalesview. Press in EaglesView means a possible camera on any illegal activity that may or may not happen in this town that may or may not be run by gangs. Does that make sense to you Mr 'this isn't my problem'?"

Linc had his 'oh shit' face on, which I knew meant that he finally understood why this could potentially be a big problem for everyone. Mason was silent over the line but I could hear other voices in the background.

"I get your point Rowan, and I will deal with things on our side to make sure that the press doesn't put their noses in places that they don't need to be." With that the line went dead, Linc had his phone out typing away most likely giving orders to his own people.

"Do you know where Justin is right now? I'm gonna need to call him too."

He looks up for a second and then nodes his head up, "I'm pretty sure he's upstairs somewhere with Maya. I think they're watching a movie or something. I heard her scream about some dragon lizard thing before." Well, that's something, slowly I stood up to make my way out of the office with Linc following behind.

Andy and my dad were in the kitchen, the phone on the counter in between them. I could make out the sound of my uncle's voice coming through as they discussed the details of his flight and what members of his press team to bring with him.

Char was back in the living room, now with all the curtains closed, and watching some baking competition. Linc and I made it to the front room and looked up in time to see Maya run to the banister and scream.

"ALL HAIL MUSHU!"

She made a bowing motion with her arms and then took off again down one of the hallways on the second floor. Then from the other hallway comes Justin looking amused and concerned at the same time.

He comes to the same spot his girlfriend had just stood. "We just watched Mulan, because apparently, I'm 'uncultured' for not knowing what a Mushu was. and now I think she's started a cult."

I laughed at just how oblivious Maya could be at times, but that was also the very reason I loved her. It was rare for someone like that in this kind of life. "As she should, Mushu is a king. But that's beside the point right now. Have you seen the news?"

He looks down at me, confusion on his face. "No, why?"

I motioned for him to come downstairs, "We need to talk."

~~~

Hours later the clock reads five and the hoard is still outside my fucking house. Elliot had flown in and I really thought that he was gonna run someone over trying to get through the gates. Or some maniac was gonna jump on the roof of the car.

Now I've got him and his media team held up in Derrick's office coming up with ideas on how to get through this as painlessly as possible.

Candy was still digging through cameras and related files while also working with Mira on tracking the movement of the board for the last forty-two hours. I wouldn't put it past the old bums to pull something like this.

There was still nothing on who from the company leaked the file, that was one thing we were able to find. There was no external hack or tampering of any kind, the file had to be taken from inside the system. But we just couldn't figure out where, whoever they were, they hid their tracks very well.

I called Lee and updated him on my eventful morning and to be careful around anything that has Collins industry on it. And to make sure that no one was looking too closely at what's in our containers and where we are shipping them.

Justin and Linc have been on the phone with their people too, though their businesses were in less danger than mine and Cam's which are easier to see. And while balancing that Justin has also been chasing Maya around who is telling everyone and anyone to hail Mushu, he even had to stop her from going out to the press and telling them.

Mal is currently on a total lockdown after Jack caught him trying to sneak out of the house to go talk to the press. Something I was not happy about at all, but I have absolutely no patience to deal with him right now so I had Jack lock him in a room where he can't get to the press.

Lugging myself up the stairs I make my way to my father's office to talk to these media people about how I deal with the press without shooting them. Opening the door my dad and my uncle are by the desk and off to the side, a group of five people are huddled over the round table with today's newspaper and printed articles.

"So who has a better idea than letting the sniper have some fun?" The group at the table looked at me in shock and a bit of fright, while my father and uncle were laughing and shaking their heads.

"She's just joking." Elliot gives his people that reassuring smile of his. I just shrug and take a dead sideways in one of the chairs in front of his desk, my legs handing over the armrest.

"Saide why don't you give us some of the ideas you guys came up with on how to handle this situation." One of the girls from the table comes to stand in front of the others, she's a pretty blonde probably a few years older than I am.

"Well at this point since we still can't figure out who leaked the contract we think the best course of action may be to hold a press conference with Elliot and Rowan-"

"No"

"Nope"

Derrick and Elliot both cut her off at the same time, she just stands there a little taken aback from being cut off and her idea rejected at the same time.

"We are not putting Rowan in front of a camera, no way." I look over at my dad and give him the really face.

"I'm not a child, I'm more than capable of going in front of a camera and playing nice long enough to talk our way out of this. I deal with Mason enough to be a pro." Elliot chucked and my dad whacked him upside the head.

"Yeah, and when someone asked you the wrong question and you tell them to fuck off on camera that will look really good for our company's image."

"Well, maybe they should think about their image of stalking an eighteen-year-old outside her house for hours on end and not fucking leaving."

"See, that is exactly what you can't say."

"Why not? It's true and creepy."

"Because you just can't, it won't look good for the company and the board will just try to use it against you and make you seem like you are not capable of running the company because of how immature you will look in front of the public."

I didn't like it but he may have a point, if I made a scene on television then it would just be used against me.

"Fine, no press conference. But what else is there to do? It's not like we can spin the story and blame the leaker when we don't even know who it is yet."

That made him shut up, at least for a bit while he thought about it.

"How close is Candy to finding something?" Elliot was trying to play peacekeeper and stop the coming argument that is forming between my father and me.

"She found something." Like we summoned her, the redhead was standing in the doorway with a laptop in hand.

"Then by all means Candy show us what you've got." At Derrick's request, she brought the laptop over to the desk and set it down for us to see. She pulled up a video feed. I recognized it as one of the storage back rooms at the office building in Seattle.

She speeds up the feed and we watch as a male figure appears, an older man with gray hair wearing a suit. He places a folder down on a shelf and walks off but not before he looks back directly at the camera.

"You have got to be kidding me" Elliot grumbles under his breath and I refrain from yelling profanities in front of our media guest. Because on the videotape is Zachariah Wright.

A member of the fucking board.

Candy speeds up the tape again and another figure appears in the room, this time it's a smaller female figure, she picks up the file and opens it scanning whatever is inside, and then tucks it inside her coat and leaves the room.

"Do we know who that woman is yet?"

"Not yet but I have Mira going through the employment records with facial recognition now and she'll call when it gets a match, but I thought id come to show you this now considering who put that file there to be found."

"This is just great, a member of our own board releasing confidential information." My dad grabbed his phone and walked out of the office.

"I'll call Laura so she can be here when we find out who this woman is because if she has access to that building she signed an NDA and ill nail her to the fucking wall with it."

~~~

Claire Thorley

An employee at Collins industry for the last five years.

Not anymore, considering I had her arrested an hour ago for breach of contract.

Now I'm heading for my office to discuss just how much I can do to those women with my lawyer.

"All hail Mush!" Maya yells from the kitchen as I pass, she's up on the counter with a cupcake in her hand up above her head and Matty Is trying to grab it from her.

I push the doors open and see Lauren leaning against my desk chatting to Jack. Lauren is only twenty-seven but she's one of the best goddamn lawyers that I know, and that's why I pay her the big bucks.

Her dirty blond hair is in what I have dubbed a power ponytail, and she looks very professional in her tailored blue pantsuit. "So who are we fucking up today babe?"

"I love you, you know. A bitch who has signed one of our NDAs sold confidential documents that she stole from the company to the press. I want to nail her as hard as we can for this, no mercy."

She gives me that Cheshire cat grin, "I can work with that."

"Good" She heads out to go make some calls and I decide to make one of my own.

"Hey Sadie, It's Rowan. Yeah, Rowan Collins. I need you to set up a press conference, yeah. I don't care what my father said. I want a press conference set up outside the gates. No, I don't want either of them there. Yes, thank you." Jack gives me a confused look but I just give him a smile.

Char helps me decide on what to wear, a pair of fitted high-waisted gray slacks paired with a fitted white crop top with a matching gray blazer to throw on top. She throws a pair of my beige heels on the bed while I'm finishing running the strainer over my hair.

"You're holding a press conference! And you didn't think to talk about this with me or your uncle?" As I expected Derrick wasn't thrilled.

"Now that we know what happened it is the best course of action. And before you suggest it, no I don't want you or Elliot there. I don't want to be seen as needing to be supported or supervised by an older man." I showed Char my earrings and she shook her head so I decided to swap them for my diamond studs.

"I am the owner of this company, and yes Elliot is the face and runs the everyday operation but I own it. And yes I am one of the youngest female billionaires and if some people aren't happy about that then maybe they should be rethinking their own perspectives." Char approves my jewelry and points to the heels on the bed before she walks out past our father who is still standing in the doorway.

"Okay, maybe I was wrong. You know how to play a crowd and how to use your words. You go hold this press conference and prove your point. Just please for the sanity of everyone don't involve the board or mention their involvement." I shrug while slipping into the heels and heading for the door.

"Well see." I kiss his cheek and make my way to the front doorway to walk out to the section that Saide has set up with the press for me.

I walk up to the microphone that has been placed on a slightly elevated platform and look down at the people that have been all fucking day.

"Good evening everyone, I'd thank you for coming but most of you have been here all day. And why yes that is your right I still find it to be highly concerning. And that is just one reason why we decided not to make me the face of Collins industry." The flash of cameras are sparking across my vision in the setting sun.

"Yes, I am the legal owner of the company, and my uncle Elliot Collins is the face and the man that runs the day-to-day operations. But that is not what I'm going to talk about now, I am going to talk about how you all learned that information today. A member of our staff that has been a part of our company for five years decided to illegally steal and sell a confidential contract."

"In doing so she violated an NDA that she has signed, and resigned every year that she has worked for our company and she is currently being prosecuted to the fullest extent to the laws of our great country. But not only that, this leak of information was orchestrated by a member of my own board, a group of rich, entitled, old men that have never liked me. And feel that I am unqualified to run this company due to my age and my gender."

"But I say why is it that we see youth as a weakness and as something that makes us unqualified? I see it as something that gives me a different view, a view that men and women that have been in this game so long they can no longer see things straight. I would argue that age is what is making things more difficult and is what makes these board members unfit to hold those shares. But that is not my point." More cameras click and I can see the pens writhing against the notepads.

"My point is that I do not wish to be in the public eye, I wish to usher my company into a new decade from the shadows and leave my uncle to do what he does best, and what he has been doing since he was my age. Yet no one questioned his worth, or his experience for the position when he took it at eighteen. I leave you to think on that and ask that you now leave my home and allow me to live my life as I have been. Thank you."

And with that, I walk right back off the platform, Saide taking my place explaining that I will not be taking any questions and to vacate the premises as soon as possible. Standing at the front doorway I can see my father and uncle.

Elliot is smiling, but my father looks less than happy. That's when the chime of my phone draws my attention.

Cam: Great speech princess.

Cam: Thought you should know I never doubted you

I allowed a smile to take over my face, just for a minute. Then I brace myself to deal with my father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Insta: the_queen_107_wattpad

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

547K 23.7K 50
|| HIGHEST RANKS: #13 in HUMOR #79 in TEEN FICTION || If you are going to be BAD, then you have to do it the BAD way... It's pretty simple: 1) Don'...
2.1M 64.4K 64
Mafia Dark Romance : ••••••••• she looked back and saw him coming towards her with red blood shoot eyes. She didn't even blink her eyes when he was s...
95.5K 5.2K 82
Book #3 in The Fire series BLAKE RIVERA "You're the leader of a gang." Aiden yells. I look up at him. "You don't think I know that?" I yel...
58.1K 2.8K 41
"Would you ever kiss me?" he asked "Well I find the saliva exchange gross and very.." "Emily! !" he snapped. "Alright.. Maybe." I said being honest...