Sorrow | Dune | Gurney Halleck

By victoriat90

Soft downy feathers against my filthy, sinning scales your beak against my ear breathing desperation and desi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Forty One

907 26 2
By victoriat90

Mildred's jaw was set in one tense line as she escorted Gurney to her makeshift room in the cave. She had a much more suitable room in the South, but she craved a little privacy here. Especially since she was the only woman at times. She could  She practically see Gurney staring at the back of her head as she walked expertly through the cave. She felt like she was a fool for bending so easily to Paul's will, again. She wanted to punch something, but she didn't. Instead, she felt Gurney wrap his hand around her wrist, stopping her.

"Mildred." He spoke softly.

"I told you how Paul changed. That was one of the ways. The coldness, it was never there before. I might as well not be Duchess anymore. I have no power." She explained. "I've never been so weak before."

"You are not weak. You are trying to deal with your brother in a loving way. If you think, deep down, that we should trust him then we will. Your time will come." He said.

The conversation ceased. He followed her down more hallways and turns until she stopped at a large rug hanging from a few hooks. She withdrew the fabric revealing a smaller cave. It could maybe sit four or five people if she wanted. There was a table where various items laid. On the floor was a small cot with a thin blanket on it that Gurney assumed was where she slept. That was it.

"It's not exactly secure, but it works. I sleep with a knife in my hand just in case." She said as they walked inside. "No one bothers me usually."

I sleep with a knife. The words crushed him. He should have been there. He should have never left her alone. She was suppose to be safe. He swore an allegiance to her father, to her and he had failed for two years. His knees felt weak suddenly and he sank down into the sand in front of her. He reached out, wrapping his arms around her midsection and resting his head against her stomach. The movement surprised her as she threaded her fingers through the ends of his short hair.

"I'm sorry." Gurney mumbled.

Mildred knelt down in front of him, taking his worn face in her hands. Her finger grazed against the scar on his cheek as she looked into his eyes. "What for, my love?"

"Leaving you."

"You did what you thought was best, Gurney. You probably saved my life. I'm alive. You're alive. That's all that matters. Do not blame yourself." She spoke gently, like the way she used to on Caladan. "Can I ask you something?"

He nodded his head.

"Did you ever...find someone else to love?" She wouldn't be mad if he did, but she needed to know.

"No, never. I thought of you everyday Mildred. I could never love another woman. Did you?"

She shook her head. "No. I had many proposals, but like I told my mother, I had my happy ever after. I would never marry again."

Gurney lowered his face and kissed her. It was hungry as if he been starved for the two years they had been apart. His hands reached up behind her, feeling for the hemline of the stillsuit so he could remove it from her body. It was harder to remove than the dress he had been used to taking off. He could feel her bones more and a sinking feeling hit him. She had barely been surviving.

He ran his hands along her spine, down her arms that felt stronger than before. Along her breasts, her side. He had dreamt of holding her again. "You're real."

"I'm real." She assured him as she began to take his own stillsuit off. More scars adorned his body. A few fresh bruises adorned his skin. She didn't care. She would love him no matter what he looked like.

He laid her down against her makeshift bed and his body hovered over hers. His hand drug down her stomach, along her inner thigh and between her legs where he gently rubbed her with his thumb. Her body was aching for him. Every little touch only added to that yearning. She had tried over the years to replicate his touch, but was never successful.

"Gurney," she grasped his shoulders. "Please."

His familiar smile spread across his face and he removed his hand. He spread her legs for him before pushing inside her with one swift move. She cried out, her body pressing against him. She had missed this. He moved slowly within as his lips touched every part of her face, neck and shoulders. She drug her hands down his back, feeling the familiar scars.

"I love you. I love you." She spoke softly into his ear as he rolled his hips into her.

"I love you." He said and pushed into her harder.

Another cry came out of her mouth. She didn't care if anyone heard her. She needed this. She needed to be with her husband again. She could only imagine the dirty and grim that was caked onto her. Showers were a rare commodity in the sietches, but Gurney didn't care. He still thought she was the most beautiful woman. She could feel the heat spreading down her stomach and in between her legs. She didn't have much longer.

Her climax was euphoric. Her legs shook around him and she held onto him. Her eyes were squeezed shut as he finished within her. Both of them moaning one another's name and sweet nothings. Mildred felt that at any moment she might pass out, but he held her close. When they both had calmed down, Gurney kissed her softly on her forehead. He drug his knuckles along her cheek. "You need sleep."

"So, do you." She pointed out.

He rolled over off of her and laid on the small bed next to her. She found her usual spot against his side and closed her eyes. It would be the best sleep she had in years.

****
Like most mornings, Mildred was always first to wake. She didn't move from her spot though. She just watched her husband sleep. She still couldn't believe that he was alive. She promised herself that she would never part with him again. Nothing would ever hurt him. She snuck out of the bed and slipped her stillsuit back on. She had deprived herself of water for a while and knew her body needed it.

She heard Gurney stir behind her and she peeked over her shoulder to look at him. He was always slow to wake and usually required a large amount of coffee to be fully awake. That was not a commodity anymore though.

"This bed, if you can call it that, is terribly uncomfortable." He said as he reached for his stillsuit.

She flashed him a smile. "You get used to it. Your suit is on wrong."

"What? I've been putting this thing on for two years now." He protested.

Mildred walked over and began to pull various straps of the suit. When she finished, she brushed her hands along his broad shoulders. "There. That should feel better."

"It does, actually." He admitted and leaned down to kiss her. "You've become one of them."

Mildred laughed. "Hardly. I've just learned to adapt. Now, come. My mother should be here now. She'll be happy to see you."

Gurney's body tensed at the mention of her mother. Years ago, the relationship between mother and daughter was strained. Now it seemed that they built something between the two of them. He walked beside Mildred through the endless cavern and they stopped outside another smaller cave with a curtain shielding the door. Mildred pushed the curtain aside and Gurney walked right past her.

He stormed towards her mother and in a matter of seconds he stood before her with his arm wrapped around her neck. Mildred looked at her husband bewildered. "Gurney! What are you doing?"

"Mildred, stand back." His tone was sharp.

Mildred saw the curtain move again and Paul entered with just as much confusion as Mildred had.

Gurney tightened his grip on Jessica. "You will speak only when I permit it, witch. I want only one thing from you for your daughter and son to hear, and I am prepared to send this knife into your heart by reflex at the first sight of a counter against me. Your voice will remain in a monotone. Certain muscles you will not tense or move. You will act with the most extreme caution to gain yourself a few more seconds of life. And I assure you, these are all you have."

Mildred had never heard so much hatred in Gurney's voice. Even when he was speaking about the Harkonnens. She could feel her hands shaking at her side. She had to do something. "Gurney, look at me, why are you doing this?"

"I swore an oath to slay the betrayer of your father. Do you think I could forget the man who rescued me from a Harkonnen slave pit, gave me freedom, life, honor, allowed me to marry his daughter? I have his betrayer under my knife."

"No, you're wrong. My mother did not betray us." She tried to talk him down, tears began to burn in her eyes.

"It was Dr. Yueh. Yes, our father suspected our mother, but in the end he knew it wasn't her. Yueh wrote us a letter explaining everything." Paul spoke.

Mildred watched Gurney's face change. Confusion. Realization. Anger again. Sadness. He had been wrong. If he had only asked Mildred what had actually happened, this could have been avoided. He looked like a fool. Finally, he released Jessica and the hand holding his knife dropped to his side.

"Lady Jessica, please forgive me." He said brokenly.

"It was all a misunderstanding, Gurney. That's all. You have served us well. We never had an ounce of trouble from you." Her mother spoke gently to him.

"Please, excuse me." Paul said.

Mildred watched her brother go before walking to her husband's side. She gently took his hand in her's and looked up at him. He was avoiding eye contact.

"Gurney," she whispered. "Look at me. It's okay. I promise."

Jessica watched her daughter and Gurney speak quietly to themselves away from her. Nothing caused her more joy than seeing the two of them together even if she didn't agree with the Union. In the end, Gurney made her happy and he took care of her. She knew her daughter had missed him greatly. She heard the sobs at night. She could feel her daughter's longing and at last, they were together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 163 14
|STORY CUT SHORT| when a collage girl gets a strange headset for her birthday and trys it on, she gets sucked into a digital world, with people like...
19.2K 397 25
The Dark Knights Moon Flower. (Still under serious edits) What if Bruce had never met Selina Kyle? What if Bruce Never fell in Love with Selina? ...
536K 19.2K 94
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
305K 7.8K 32
In which the true born daughter of Rhaenrya Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon is nothing but the debt Alicent Hightower intends to collect. Started...