Sorrow | Dune | Gurney Halleck

By victoriat90

Soft downy feathers against my filthy, sinning scales your beak against my ear breathing desperation and desi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Five

1.2K 36 1
By victoriat90

When Mildred awoke, she knew something had occurred. She could feel a thick tension in the air and it terrified her slightly. All throughout breakfast she was unusually quiet. Even Gurney took note, but she assured him everything was okay. She just hasn't slept well. She sat in her office. The same report sat on top of the pile for the last hour, unfinished. When she heard a knock on the door, she knew something was wrong.

"Enter." Mildred spoke.

The door opened and she was surprised to see Paul standing there. "Father wants to see us in his office."

"Did he say why?" She asked as she stood from the chair.

He shook his head. She swallowed thickly. They were both silent while walking to their father's office. Both knew something was wrong. When they walked inside they found their mother standing in front of their father's desk where he sat. Her hands were clasped tightly in front of her. Mildred's stomach began to form knots.

"I've gathered us all today, before the meeting, to tell you that I've just received news from the Emperor himself." Leto began. "He has ordered the Harkonnens to leave Arrakis immediately and has...requested that House Atreides take over the spice production on Arrakis."

Mildred's eyes widened. Arrakis was the last place anyone wanted to live besides on Giedi Prime. It was a desert planet with very little water. It primarily relied on the collection of spice for geriatric purposes. She also knew it could heighten one's awareness and people would pay a hefty price for it.

No one said anything. Her mother, Paul and her all glanced at each other, wondering who would speak or ask a question first.

"How soon?" Her mother finally asked.

"In a week, the formal declaration will be brought here for me to sign. After that we have a week to pack our belongings." Leto answered. "I've just sent Duncan Idaho there to hopefully begin building a relationship with the Fremen."

"This sounds like a ploy. Why would the Harkonnens  be ordered to leave?" Paul asked.

"I sense it too. We will need to be prepared for anything, more specifically an attack." Leto said.

Mildred gaped at her father. "Then why would we go if we knew we would be attacked?"

"We can't refuse the Emperor. You know that already. The wealth from the spice production profit would be extremely beneficial as well." Leto stood from his seat. "Jessica, Paul and me will go to Arrakis. I want you, Mildred to stay here and oversee operations on Caladan, but..."

"But?" Mildred asked confused.

"I want Gurney to go to Arrakis with us. He's very valuable. I'm not going to force you to stay on Caladan. You are more than welcome to go with us."

Mildred closed her eyes, taking a deep breath in to prevent herself from losing her temper. She was being presented with a difficult choice. Stay on Caladan, but be away from her husband? Or abandon her home world to be with her husband? It was not an easy choice.

"The Imperial Planetologist and Judge of the Change has been gracious enough to send us videos and books to read in preparation. It's highly recommended that we review them before we leave. Paul, I'm going to up your training. You'll need all you can get. Gurney will work with you everyday. I suggest you do the same, Mildred, if you wish to join us. Anymore questions?" Her father asked.

Mildred felt her jaw tense, but she shook her head as did her mother and brother. She should be excited. It was a great opportunity no matter which path she chose. Arrakis was a cruel planet to live on. It showed very little mercy to those who were not equipped to survive on it. In the back of the mind rang her father's words about it being a set up. At least they knew and it wouldn't surprise them the day it happened.

She could feel her stomach turning. She needed fresh air before she joined her father for the meeting to tell Thufir, Gurney and the others about the new job that had been assigned to them. She excused herself quietly before walking hastily to the nearest opening to the outside. There was a small balcony only feet away from her father's office. She pushed the door open before running to the edge and emptying her breakfast over the edge.

She gripped the stone railing tightly to the point where her knuckles turned white. The fresh sea breeze filled her nose, calming her shot nerves. Her gray eyes, the one she shared with her father, casted out to the ocean. There would be no ocean on Arrakis nor breeze nor rain. Just endless amounts of sand and heat. She took another deep breath needing to compose herself for the meeting. Her father was going to need her support.

Mildred felt guilty that Gurney would be blindsided, but her father requested that she didn't run and tell him no matter how hard it would be. She could see him standing at the entrance of the door for the meeting, talking to one of his men. She stopped for a moment to look at him. He had on his dark, gray-blue uniform and was turned to the side to where she could see the inkvine scar. He must have said something funny, because the man laughed and Gurney clasped his shoulder in a friendly manner.

She ran her thumb over the wedding ring that sat on her finger and swallowed thickly. Her eyes adverted to her father who stood right past the entrance. He knew she was contemplating her decisions. Stay or leave. Finally, Gurney caught sight of his wife standing in the hallway. She was frozen. Her face bore an unnatural, greenish tint. Something was wrong. He knew they had an agreement to only be husband and wife when appropriate, but it was taking all his strength not to walk to her.

Instead, she began to walk. Her steps her slow. As she walked past him, he reached out to gently touch the back of her arm.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly.

When she looked up at him, he saw that she was fighting back tears. He wanted to wrap her in his arms, pull her close to him. For a moment, he thought she might cracked but then she caught the disapproving look of her father. Gurney noted it and straightened himself up. She walked past him without a word. In normal circumstances, she would sit to the side of her father, but not today.

"Lieutenant Nadaz," Mildred whispered to the soldier who normally sat next to Gurney. "Would it be okay if I was to sit next to Gurney today?"

"Umm," Nadaz gave an unsure look to the Warmaster before looking back at Mildred. "Of course."

"Thank you." She said sweetly.

Mildred asking to sit next to her husband should have been the first example that something was not right. It was something she never did. She saw Gurney sat down next to her from the corner of her and reached under the table to find his hand. Just the feeling of his hand around her's was enough to steady her nerves. She felt him rub his thumb along her skin.

"Let's begin," Leto spoke aloud and everyone turned their attention to the Duke. "We're only going to be speaking about one thing today. I'm sure we've all heard about the Harkonnens leaving Arrakis. The Emperor doesn't want the spice production to be abandoned for long and needed to find someone to take over. The Emperor has chosen House Atreides."

The room erupted in chatter, but Mildred remained quiet. It didn't take a complete genius to know that Mildred had already known this information. Was this the reason she was being so distanced, Gurney asked himself.

"I know there will be many questions, but allow me to speak some more. In one week, Representatives from the Imperium will bring the official declaration to Caladan for me to sign and seal. A week after that we leave for Arrakis. I've already dispatched Duncan Idaho to make friendly and learn from the natives, the Fremen. A Doctor Liet Kynes has been kind enough to send us some vital information about the planet. I recommend everyone here reviews it." Her father continued.

The room was quiet. Everyone looked around at anywhere but her father. It was abundantly clear that not everyone was so keen on leaving the comfort of Caladan.

"Sire, if I may," Thufir spoke up. "I'm sensing a ploy."

Leto nodded his head. "As am I. Atreides is powerful. Perhaps too powerful to some. We should expect anything. Especially considering the planet's predecessors."

"And who will watch over Caladan?" One of the advisors.

Gurney felt Mildred's grip on his hand tighten.

"I've requested that Mildred stays on Caladan. However, the choice is her's. If not, I have a few advisors that could stay and we would keep open communication between the two planets." Her father answered.

Ah. There it was. The reason for Mildred's mood. All eyes fell upon her, wondering what her decision would be, including Gurney. He would be sent to Arrakis, but she could remain on Caladan if she wanted too. It would be a good experience for her if she was to stay. A true test of what kind of leader she would become. However, they would be apart for a long time.

"I know this is a lot of information and there will be more in the coming weeks. However, I'm confident in our House. Thank you for your time." Leto dismissed them.

Mildred could feel the familiar churning sensation in her stomach again. She released the grasp on Gurney and walked out of the room. She tried her best to take deep breaths, but her heart rate was increasing. She knew she wouldn't be able to speak to Gurney about all of that until tonight, but there was one person she could talk to. Paul.

When she found her younger brother, he was sitting cross legged on his bed watching one of the videos that had been sent to them. It was one talking about the sand worms.

"Anything interesting yet?" Mildred asked.

"Oh, yes. Very riveting." He said sarcastically and patted the bed for her to sit next to him. "You look unwell."

"So do you." She noted the bags under his eyes. "Is it the dreams again?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I'm starting to think I was dreaming about Arrakis. The images I've seen closely resemble the ones on these videos."

"Well, according to our mother you're this...kwisatz haderach? The dreams could be glimpses into the future." There was a teasing tone, but then she frowned. "If it's true, you're too young to be burdened with such...responsibilities."

"Maybe it's not a burden. Perhaps I'll help people."

"And I'll be right there to help fight with you." She said with a smile.

"Have you made a decision yet?" Paul treaded carefully.

Mildred sighed. "Not yet. I haven't even talked to Gurney yet."

"I'm sure you'll make the right decision. You always seem too."

"Thank you, Paul." She told him with a smile. "Is it okay if I watch the videos with you?"

He nodded his head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

717K 22.1K 111
The heart of a Targaryen was said to be one dipped in fire and blood. They ruled the skies with their dragons, danced through the flames of death and...
1.1M 41.2K 66
In which a girl is also held captive in a cave with the infamous Tony Stark. [Iron Man - Age of Ultron] [tony stark x oc] 3/17/23- #1 in #ironman 2...
108K 1.8K 54
Felix centric! might contain some triggering topics but i'll put warnings! All works in the book is mine and please don't copy it off! If you want t...
4K 244 22
When your mind plays dark games, you don't see the exit of it. Sunoo's past played along and it's hard to let go. How could Love help him with it? Su...