Sorrow | Dune | Gurney Halleck

By victoriat90

Soft downy feathers against my filthy, sinning scales your beak against my ear breathing desperation and desi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Four

1.4K 39 1
By victoriat90

Mildred supposed one of the downfalls of belonging to a House was that you never truly had a break from your duties. You could only abandon work for a few days before you had to return. It made the second and last morning of their honeymoon difficult. She didn't want to get out of the bed. She didn't want to gather her things and get onto the transport. However, there was a small amount of excitement. As if her life with Gurney was just starting to begin.

Upon returning to the castle, they would be allowed to drop their things off in their new wing before having to join her father's meeting. It would be the first time Gurney ever saw their room. She had only seen it a handful of times. The particular wing they would occupy was mostly used for guests. It would be a space for them to make their own.

She felt Gurney touch her lower back as the transport landed. "Ready?"

"Why so ominous?" Mildred ask with a teasing tone.

"Because I have a feeling we're about to be bombarded with a hundred questions and decisions." He said.

Truer words had never been spoken. She could already see Sara standing at the edge of the platform, ready to greet the couple and take them to their room. The young woman's hands were clasped tightly in front of her and she was rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Lady Milred. Lord Gurney." Sara greeted with the dip of a head. "How was your trip?"

"Much needed." Mildred told her.

She glanced out the corner of her eye. Gurney stood almost frozen. It was the first time anyone referred to him as 'Lord.' It made the reality of the marriage sink further into him.

"Allow me to show you to your room. I know you have to attend the meeting soon." Sara told them.

"Nonsense. I know where the rooms are. Thank you, Sara." Mildred spoke.

A sly smile appeared on her servants face. Oh, Mildred thought. Sara thought they wanted to be alone to enjoy...married couple things. It almost caused her to laugh. While it would have been nice, there wasn't enough time to do anything other than drop their bags off.

"Lord Gurney." Mildred said in a low, teasing tone.

Gurney chuckled. "Now that is something we won't be doing. Just my name will suffice."

"We'll see about that. Besides, Sara is very insistent on formalities. Kind of sounds like someone else I know."

"It's my job to uphold the importance as well as defend the leaders of House Atreides. It's what I'm paid to do, at least."

She shot him a smile before slipping her arm through his as they walked to their designated wing. It wasn't nearly as big as the one she shared with her family, but she didn't mind. It would be more than enough for the two of them. It was quiet. Not a soul in sight. Mildred perhaps thought that everyone was simply still asleep. It was still early in the morning.

They stopped outside the first door on the right side of the hallway. It was a smaller room with a desk situated to the side of it.

"This will be my office I presume. Unless, you prefer to share?" Mildred asked.

"I'm fine with the office I have. It's better to be closer to the military anyways." Gurney told her.

They continued walking until they stopped at the third door on the left, their bedroom. It was similar to the one Mildred had just larger. It had a large fireplace with chairs situated near it. A bed on the opposite wall. A bathroom. Unlike her childhood room, she had a balcony with a view of the water. It would be odd sharing a room at first, but she knew they would get used to it eventually.

"Most of your things will be sent over today." She explained and turned to him. "Unless you prefer to sleep in separate rooms?"

Separate rooms? Gurney looked at her confused, but then understood that many of those belonging to Houses often only shared a bed during their...martial duties. Mildred's parents included. He walked slowly over to her where she stood looking around the room. He lifted her chin slightly to look at him.

"You are my wife. I fully intend to share a room with you." He informed her.

"And if we fight?" She inquired, bringing her hands up to rest against his chest.

"Then, I will sleep on the floor." He teased and gently kissed her.

She leaned into him, not wanting to break the contact. However, if they were late, her father would kill them both. After the meeting Gurney would leave to attend to his duties as Warmaster and she would attend to her duties as Duchess to be. He held her close, her head resting on his chest, cherishing the last few moments alone with her.

"We must make an effort to see one another at dinner, at least." She mumbled against him. "I would prefer both Breakfast and Dinner, but I know that may be difficult. I won't have us be one of those couples who hardly see one another."

"As you wish, Lady Mildred." He said.

She took a step back and smoothed out her deep purple dress she wore while Gurney checked over his uniform. The walk from their wing to where the majority of the meetings were held wasn't very long. Along the way, she noted the way people dipped their head at the two of them or how Gurney's men shook his hand. The doors to the room were open, but would close as soon as the last person entered.

Her father sat on the right side of the table, across from Thufir Hawat. She usually sat on the other side of her father and Gurney would sit a few seats down. Very rarely did they ever sit side by side. As soon as the both of them entered the room, they were no longer a married couple. Gurney was Warmaster and Mildred was a member of the House.

"Mildred, Gurney." Her father greeted the two of them. "Welcome back."

She smiled at her father and leaned down to kiss his cheek before sitting next to him. "Father."

They went through the usual routine of going over how they stood economically. Thufir would spit out statistics. Gurney would report anything special about the military. Her eyes landed on one man, one of her father's advisors, Kai, who looked as if he were to be sick at any moment. Something was wrong.

"Kai, you've been exceptionally quiet." Mildred spoke up. "Is there anything you wish to share with us?"

The middle aged man's eyes flashed to her and then her father. "I-It's nothing, Lady Mildred."

Her father noted his nervousness. "Please, Kai. Share with us what you know. I've never seen you look so pale before."

"It's just rumors, sire. The Harkonnens seem to be losing their grip on Arrakis. There's talk that the Emperor will send House Atreides there." Kai spoke.

Chatter around the table began. Mildred tried her best to remain composed. She had also heard and seen reports about Arrakis. She had not, however, heard anything about them being sent there to take over.

"Quiet, please." Leto said. "Those are only rumors. I've heard nothing from the Emperor about this. If I do, everyone here will be the first to know. Evan?"

"Yes, my Lord?" Another adviser, a younger one asked.

"I believe you had a few things to discuss with Mildred and Gurney?" Leto asked.

Both Mildred and Gurney froze. What could they possibly want to speak about? They were already married. There was no going back now.

Evan sat up straight. "Right. It's two things. The first one being Gurney Halleck's title. How would you like to be addressed?"

"Just Gurney, please. No title necessary." Gurney told him.

"But, sire, you have married into House Atreides. It is great importance that the people address you properly." Evan argued.

"A title doesn't mean a person isn't important. If my husband does not wish to have a title, so be it. He has gained the respect of many of you without one. I don't think that's going to change now." Mildred argued.

A few snickers could be heard around the table, but Mildred kept her eyes glued to the advisor.

"Right....there's one more thing to discuss; the House name. Some people have voiced opinions that you are still Mildred Atreides, not Mildred Halleck. It is customary for the woman to change her last name." Evan said.

"Considering the fact that I am not Duchess yet, does it matter? I understand we never have had a woman leader, but that doesn't mean the House name will change. It will remain House Atreides." She told him.

Evan's face twisted in a way that reflected annoyance. "The decision is not yours, Lady Mildred. It is your husband's."

The room grew deathly quiet. No one had ever spoken to the member of the family in such a manner. She felt her hands ball in fists. Leto and Gurney both traded looks. They knew she was not someone you wanted to cross. She remained quiet.

"Mildred does not need to change her name, nor does she need my permission to do anything." Gurney spoke.

God, she loved that man. The meeting only lasted a little while longer before Leto declared it over. Evan was first to his feet, followed by Mildred.

She walked behind them quickly. "Evan?"

He stopped walking reluctantly. "Yes, Lady Mildred?"

"You're a married man, aren't you?" She inquired.

"I am."

"Good. I've met your wife. She's quite lovely. I don't think she would like to know that I saw one of my mother's ladies and you in the dining hall a few weeks ago. I won't go into details, but I know clothing was not on." Her words were harsh, but her voice was sweet. "Don't you ever disregard me because I am a woman. My husband does not preside over me. We are equals. If you fail to recognize this, then I will fail to keep your little secret. Do you understand?"

His face went deathly pale. She could see sweat beginning to form on his forehead. He gripped the ends of his uniform tightly. "Understood, Lady Mildred."

"Good. You are excused." She told him before brushing past him.

Leto and Gurney had both watched the event unfold in front of them with keen eyes. She had not been quiet when speaking and they both knew she had done that on purpose.

Leto drew in a sharp breath. "I'm certainly glad she is your problem now, Gurney."

The soldier chuckled. "She's not a problem. More like a rose. Delicate, kind, beautiful but dangerous if held wrong."

"Well, I can promise you one thing, life with her will never be dull."

"No, it won't." Gurney agreed.

****
Mildred paid no attention as she heard the door of their room open. She was currently in a bath, attempting to relax after a long day of decisions, questions and catching up. She was exhausted needless to say. She figured it was Gurney. Anyone else would have knocked or at least announced their arrival. She heard the sound of boots being kicked off.

"I'm having dinner brought in here. I'm too tired. Once I change into my nightgown, I have no intentions of leaving the bed." She spoke aloud.

"You're too tired to walk twenty feet to the dining hall?" Gurney asked from behind her.

"Yes. It's a terrible trek."

Gurney leaned against the doorframe and watched his wife lounging back in the tub. Her eyes were closed. A thin layer of bubbles covered the top of the water. All he could see were her bare shoulders and face.

"I think Evan may have had to change his pants after you spoke to him." He said.

She peeked one eye open to look at him. "You think so?"

"Mhm." He walked over to her slowly and knelt down next to the bath.

"Good. Serves him right not to cross me."

"Oh, darling, I don't think anyone will ever cross you again." He said before jumping into the tub fully clothed.

"Gurney!" She squealed. "You could have least taken your clothes off first."

"I don't need to be wearing clothes for what I'm about to do to you." He told her and she felt his hand touch her inner thigh.

She smirked at him. "Is that right?"

"Oh, yes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

499K 17.9K 97
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
6.2K 163 14
|STORY CUT SHORT| when a collage girl gets a strange headset for her birthday and trys it on, she gets sucked into a digital world, with people like...
19.2K 393 25
The Dark Knights Moon Flower. (Still under serious edits) What if Bruce had never met Selina Kyle? What if Bruce Never fell in Love with Selina? ...
101K 2.8K 62
"Do You Believe in Magic?" That question has burned in Jim Hopper's mind since the day when she came into his life. Just when things were starting t...