Finding Joy

By dream_outlouddd

Lauren Joy Carter She seems to have it all. A great big family, great friends but something is still missing... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Harmonys Journey Sequrel
Chapyer 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27: Reupload
Chapyer 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
A/N
Chapter 50
Epilogue
Finding Joy
Fighting for Joy
Fighting for Joy
New Work Published

Chapter 38

12.5K 734 127
By dream_outlouddd

"Lauren we still having drinks tonight?" Jacob asked me as we left out of ourlast meeting of the day and heading out of the building.

"Yes and I can't wait. This week has been hell and I need a drink." I said.

"Tell me about it." He sighed.

"Oop what had happened?" I asked him.

"A lot. I'll explain later. Drinks and dinner so dress cute and leave Devin home." He said.

"I will. I'm not Kelsey or Erin." I laughed.

"Oh shade!" He said in Erin's voice causing me to laugh

"I've got to go. My mans calling me." I said feeling my phone vibrate in my hand.

"Okay bye kiss the kids, and tell Devin I said hey." He said and I nodded

"Hello." I said answering my phone as I walked through the parking lot nearing my truck.

"Hello." Devin said as I got inside.

"Hold on babe let me plug you up." I said getting in my truck

"Alright babe what's up?" I said.

"Lauren we just came from the doctors and they had said Cara is catching up with her development." Devin said excitedly.

"Oh my goodness! Really!" I yelled.

"Yes baby and I would like to say thank you. For pushing her so much and believing she could do it." He said.

"It's no problem. You know I love Cara. That's really my baby and I just want her to be the best her she could be." I stressed.

"I know. Which is why I called my mother. You, her and I are gonna have lunch together this afternoon and D is gonna watch the girls." He said.

"Baby." I warned.

"What come on." He urged.

"Your mother doesn't like me and I'm perfectly fine with that." I lied

"Well I know your really not okay with that and even if you were I wouldn't be." He said. "I'm not gonna have my family messed up especially being that we are getting married in two months." He said.

"Less than two months." I corrected.

"Pooh." He groaned.

"Hot Chocolate." I whined.

He laughed. "You know what babe. You're too much. Where do you want to meet for lunch?" He asked.

"You tricked me. I thought that we were gonna go to lunch alone." I said

"We are going alone with my mother." He said.

I rolled my eyes. "Hibachi." I said.

"Now you know." He said reminding me his mother hates hibachi

"That's what I want." I said.

"She's gonna complain." He warned.

"I'll be drunk anyways." I said.

He sighed. "Baby. I need your cooperation just as much as I need hers."

"Have I not given you complete cooperation?" I asked.

"Yes but you're saying you don't care about how my mother feels. " He said.

"I'm pretty sure your mother has said stuff about me." I said

"Yes baby and I've checked her. " He said.

"Not enough if we are still having problems." I said.

He sighed. "Forget it babe. You don't want to try then it's whatever." He said.

"I didn't say I didn't want to try Devin but I hate trying with your mother because of how she acts and you never seem to tell her upfront that you feel how you feel." I said.

"I'll give you that but it's certain things I can't just outright say to my mother babe." He said.

"So let her disrespect me? Especially infront of the kids?" I asked. Referring to when she told me to stop pressuring Cara.

"Bae, we will talk about that if you come to the restaurant." He said.

I sighed. "Text me the address and I'll think about showing up." I said.

"Alright." He said and hung up saying I love you.

I honestly don't want to hear that right now because I feel like his mother is disrespectful and I have been putting up with it but when I want to act a little stank even when it's only being portrayed to him I can' to but she can do it behind my back and to my face. Okay.

I sighed and decided to go home instead of going straight to the restaurant. Maybe seeing the girls will make me feel better and make me want to reconcile with MissThomas.

Once I got home, I saw two text messages from Devin one with the address to the hibachi grill I love and the other asking me if I was going to come. I decided not to answer.

"Hey babies." I said coming into the house.

"Hey Aunty Lauren." Mel said hugging me.

"Hey baby. How was your day?" I asked.

"Very good. Go look at the fridge. You look pretty." She said

"Thank you and let's go see what's on this fridge shall we?"
I asked causing her to nod and follow behind me.

"An A on the math test that's great baby!" I said hugging her.

"Thank you. Uncle Dee Dee helped so much. " She said.

"That's really good let's celebrate this weekend. Where's my Cara Bear and Uncle D?" I asked her.

"Doing homework. She didn't want me or uncle D's help." She said.

"Oh okay. Well let's go see them." I said.

She nodded grabbing her water bottle and trail mix baggie.

"Mommy!" Cara yelled as I came into the room.

"Hey baby." I said kissing her forehead.

"Hi mommy. You look nice." She said.

"Thanks baby girl." I said

"You welcome." She said and returned back to her work.

"Aren't you supposed to be having lunch with Devin and mommy?" Derrick asked me.

"Yes." I said.

"So why are you here?" He asked.

"I wanted to come home first damn I'm grown." I said.

"Ohhhh mommy you say bad word!" Cara said

"No. Mommy didn't say bad word. Dam is a word. It's like a wall for water." I said.

"Oh." She said smiling and went back to her work causing Derrick to shake his head and tsk at me.

"Hush up. I'm leaving y'all. Melanie I didn't forget about our ice cream date. I'll pick it up from our spot and we can go for a walk cool?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am. Remember my favorite?" She asked.

"Of course French vanilla, butter pecan and pistachio nut with wet walnuts and whipped cream mixed together with caramel." I said.

"Yes and can I have a waffle cone?" She asked.

"You got an A plus of course my doll." I said.

"I'm gonna have to brush my teeth four times tonight." She said happily and I laughed.

"Alright y'all later." I said leaving out.

Once I made it to the restaurant I immediately wanted to go back home. I don't want no problems with this woman and especially not in public infront of Devin.

"Thomas. Table for three." I said to the girl who led me to the back of the restaurant. I nodded and went to our hibachi table.

"Hello." I said taking off my sunglasses

"Hello." His mother said.

"Hey baby. I ordered that piña colada milk shake you like." He said kissing me.

"Thank you." I said sitting my purse down and sitting in the seat he pulled out for me.

"So where are you coming from?" His mother asked.

"Work but I went to the house really quick." I said.

"You went to work in that" She said

"Yes I did." I said.

"Mm." She said

"Mmhm." I said sipping on the water the waitress brung out along with all our drinks.

Once our food came out and the man started to do tricks with the food, his mother continued to complain making the alcohol in the piña colada somehow not strong enough.

"Saki? Saki?" He asked.

"Oh no-" she started.

"Yes. Me." I said immediately opening my mouth ready for the saki.

"Moooreee."the guy yelled in his Chinese accent as I titled my head and took the saki to the head.

I swallowed it all quickly feeling myself loosen up as the guy plated our food. I could tell Devin was upset at me for taking the shot but do I really give a fuck? Nope because his mother is rude and I have not one moment to give a fuck anymore. Why should I if he's not gonna correct her?

"So are we gonna continue it eat it address why we are all here?" Devin asked.

"It's up to your girlfriend." His mother said.

I rolled my eyes. "I am not his girlfriend. I'm his fiancée." I said.

"Does it matter?" She snapped.

"Mom it does matter because in less than two months she will be my wife." Devin interrupted.

"But right now she's not so she's your girlfriend Devin." She said.

"Mommy this is what I'm talking about. You keep disrespecting my wife. This can't continue to happen. You two have to find a way to coexist because she is my wife and you're my mother!" He said raising his voice.

"So your relationship with me means nothing to you?"

"I never said that ma but what I'm saying is I can't allow you to mess up my house with my wife. I know you're upset and I'm trying to figure out the problem but you're not cooperating and you haven't been." He explained. "How am I supposed to start a family and maintain a happy life and wife when we can't even communicate. That shit don't work ma and I'm tired of pretending it's gonna." He said.

"Look Devin." She started and I put my hand on his hand.

He snatched his hand away from mine. "No ma. No. Whatever little problems yall two got fix it. Because I love both of y'all and I'm not about to have this back and forth stuff fix. It." He said getting up and leaving the table going out the slide doors exiting the private hibachi table.

I sighed looking over at his mother. She shook her head leaving out. I wasn't mad because she left, or that he was upset but both of them left me with the bill! So disrespectful!

A/N

35 comments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340K 12.1K 184
A book of Carter based one shots that include real situations , time jumps where the kids are older , teen jayoncé , drama , happiness , and song ins...
251K 8.3K 50
Living in Mobile has it times. Nobody wants to get out of this city more than me. I'm Lauren Savage... I guess my name kinda speaks for itself. 20, S...
151K 5.5K 35
When hockey team captain, Jace Carter, needs help to get back on the ice, he gets assigned to the best tutor at Trenton State. Problem was his first...
13.3K 832 20
This is a Curvy Community Romance: #DISCLOSURE #CelebrateBlackStories #Curvy #EyesLipsFierce "What other people hold onto in their tiny brains abou...