The Promotion {Editing}

By _xxAMxx

Cover credit goes to @meha-k Banner credit goes to @sarcastic-mess ... More

Authors note + Achievements๏ฟผ
Character Aesthetics๏ฟผ
Playlist
Part 1: Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten๏ฟผ
Chapter Eleven๏ฟผ
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Character Aesthetics๏ฟผ: Updated
Part 2: Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Nine

321 19 11
By _xxAMxx

Twelve hours. It had been twelve hours of non-stop thinking about what I saw at the ice cream parlour. My mind couldn't gather the idea of Sarah and Calum going out in the evening, to an ice cream shop.

My mind had been going around like a Ferris wheel. Around and around, to the point where I felt dizzy from all the thinking.

In the back of my mind, a tiny voice made me think that there was nothing wrong with them two hanging out. It could have been just two friends enjoying time together. There was also the other voice, where it constantly badgered my brain to think, there could be something more to it.

I paced up and down the office, while my brain swirled around like cogs, Lily's eyes moved back and forth as she watched me stride around in her office.

"Okay, I got it." I let out in a determined tone. "Call someone who works in the same department as Sarah. Tell them to come up here now."

Instantly, without responding to me, Lily dialled the phone. A few minutes go by and someone finally answers. Lily plainly told the person on the other side to come up. Now it was just a small waiting game for that person.

"All done." Lily responded, pushing her glasses up.

"Great." I exclaimed, letting a shaky breath out. A plan was starting to form in my head. Whether it was a good one or not, today was the day I got to the bottom of the situation.

"While you're waiting." Lily mentioned, grabbing my attention. "I just wanted to discuss a few things about the engagement party."

A huge wrecking ball of realisation came crashing right into me. I had been caught up with preparing for the trial, alongside trying to get to the bottom of what Sarah was up to. My engagement party was like a distant thought. A small gasp of realisation escaped from my mouth.

"Shit. The engagement party. I am so sorry Lily, I just left it to you to sort out." I sighed, shaking my head.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I've been on top of everything. I just wanted to check if next Saturday is good for you and Alexander. Also, I have an idea on the guest list, but is there anyone I should exclude?" Lily reassured me with an excited tone to her voice.

I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. "Oh Lily. You are truly amazing. Next Saturday is perfect and I don't want anyone associated with Charles coming to the party."

My mouth was forced to say that vile name. Saying his name felt like poison on my tongue. The mere thought of him sent worrying shivers down me. I shuddered at the thought of him. Whoever was associated with him, was not welcome anywhere near our house.

"Perfect. One last thing, I decided that it would be best to have the party at home, is that okay?" Lily asked, scribbling away on her notepad.

"Having a party at home is the best, so yes that's more than okay." I gushed with happiness, I made my way over to Lily and opened my arms to invite her for a hug.

She raised herself from her chair and accepted my invitation to the hug.

"Thank you, Lily. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you." I said in admiration coming out of the hug.

Just as Lily was about to respond, a knock at the door turned our heads. Lily answered to let the person in, I noticed it's one of the girls who worked with Sarah.

"Hi, you called me?" She said in an almost quiet tone.

"Yes, I did, follow me to my office." I respond motioning for her to follow me.

As we entered the office, I waved my head towards the chair for her to take a seat. I placed myself opposite her.

"Okay, first of all, I want you to make sure that whatever is said between us, stays between us. Okay?" I sternly said, raising my brows, indicating that our discussion will not be repeated to Sarah.

"Of course, I won't say anything." She confidentially replied.

My shoulders relaxed slightly, I felt like I gained her trust not to mention this. I cleared my throat and took a few second to gather my thoughts.

"Have you noticed anything different about Sarah lately?" I questioned. I studied her face and I could see that she wasn't expecting the question. Her brows furrowed and she irked her head to the side.

"Um, I'm not sure. I don't really speak to her." She hesitantly replied whilst shrugging her shoulders.

I let out a sighed grunt. This wasn't the answer I was expecting.

"Are you sure? Nothing at all? Nothing remotely different in the last few months?" I began to spill further questions.

After a few seconds of thinking, her eyes lit up like a lightbulb as if she retrieved something from the back of her mind.

"Well actually, the only thing I've noticed is that she's always going out on her lunch break. She always used to eat at her desk, but I think it's been about two months and she goes out everyday. She also takes an extra fifteen minutes."

The words tumbling out felt like a song to my ears. My eyes widen as I felt like I was getting somewhere. I may not be a detective, but I felt like I was on the right path of figuring out this investigation.

"Right, so that means she'll go out today." I mentioned narrowing my eyes, whilst also making a mental note of the time. "I need you to do me a big favour."

Her posture straightened, leaning her head closely and nodding in anticipation.

"The moment Sarah gets up for her break, I want you to inform Lily. Whether you ring or run to her office, I need you to tell her straight away." The tone of my voice was stern. I felt like a rigid rock, there was no room for error if I were to follow Sarah.

I peered my eyes towards her and she agreed with my order. She then left my office and I was alone with my thoughts. There was a sense of guilt creeping up on me. I didn't want to do this to my best friend, but the tiny voice in the back of my mind egged me to believe she was hiding something.

I noticed the time, abruptly I got up and started making my way to the first meeting of the day. As I walked past Lily, I made sure to mention my plan.

"Around lunch time, she's going to tell you Sarah is leaving, I want you to drop what you're doing and tell me. If I'm in a meeting, just barge right in and interrupt me."

Lily nodded in agreement without questioning it, I took it as my sign to trust that she would do everything prompt and quick.

It felt like I was on a tightrope, and the closer I got to finding out what was up with Sarah, the smaller the rope was. In my heart, I hoped it wasn't something to ruin our friendship, as the feeling would be like; losing my balance and falling of the tightrope.

***

The air within this room felt strained, I felt like I couldn't make a movement. Ten pairs of beady eyes, latched onto me, waiting for me to say something.

I cleared my throat, and when my eyes connected to Alexanders, that's when I felt like I could tackle this meeting. The softness and warmth of his orbs, enabled me to stay focused. He ever so slightly nodded his head, waiting for me.

"So, in terms of our targets, we are not meeting them as we should." I said with confidence. "As you can see, the percentage of our employees meeting their targets has fallen. In the last year-"

The words soon start to fade, as I noticed Lily hurriedly making her way down to the meeting room. It had just gone half past twelve. That's when it clicked, Lily was on her way to tell me about Sarah. I pondered in silence, waiting for Lily to get closer; she nodded her head in confirmation.

"Louisa?" Alexander's melodious voice snapped me back into the room.

"Something has just come up; can you take over for me?" I pleaded.

"Of course, is everything okay?" Alexander quietly asked, as he got up from his seat, making his way towards the front of the room, next to me.

"Everything is fine. I'll tell you all about it later." I whispered back. I nodded my head to ensure Alexander had gained my trust in that I was doing.

I took his loving smile as confirmation, and with that my feet moved quick to exit the room. I felt like a bullet that had just been ejected from the pistol. I marched straight towards the front of the building, where the driver was ready waiting for me.

"Did you see Sarah?" I blurted out, setting myself in the car.

The driver nodded. "She just left in her car."

"Follow her, now!" I demanded. As those words left my mouth, the driver stepped on the gas and zoomed his way down the streets.

Far into the distance I could see Sarah's car. My legs continuously trembled as I bit the inside of my lip. My heart was beating like a sacred drum. Now it felt like my eyes were latched on to Sarah's car like a target. The driver swerved from left to right, speeding up yet maintaining the distance.

After five minutes of following, the car slowly slowed down. Sarah came to a halt; her car was off and I saw her trod out and towards a building.

Suddenly, my stomach twisted and churned, feeling like it has sunk to depths of the earth. My mouth was parted in shock. Even the slight swallow, felt like a difficult task for me to do. The air in my throat was thick.

This overwhelming feeling, hit me left and right, as I saw the building Sarah entered. It was a familiar building I knew very well. It was the building to my apartment that I shared with Calum. To which now, Calum only lived there.

Deep down I had a strong inkling as to who she was meeting. But there was something I needed to do for more confirmation.

A/N

Louisa has suddenly turned into a spy! This is like mission impossible!

But do you think Louisa is right to have these thoughts in her head, trying to see what Sarah is up to

Don't forget to share, comment and vote!

Love _xxAMxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84K 4.4K 71
Anthony Lockwood. I gave myself to him 6 years ago, I thought we would be together forever. Things happened. We had to end our relationship. 6 year...
163K 3.6K 33
Jason I started kissing her jaw but not kissing her lips, I like to tease her "Jason please... " she moans grabbing my hair. "Patience baby, do you...
1.3M 42K 59
Oliver, leave me. I have to go inside", I said making a failed attempt to free myself. "What is wrong with...", and the rest of the words got lost as...
83.1K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...