The Promotion {Editing}

By _xxAMxx

Cover credit goes to @meha-k Banner credit goes to @sarcastic-mess ... More

Authors note + Achievements
Character Aesthetics
Playlist
Part 1: Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Character Aesthetics: Updated
Part 2: Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Six

391 24 30
By _xxAMxx

The day went by pretty fast, Alexander and I had back-to-back meetings and tonnes of paperwork to complete. I had made the plan to go see Sarah when she was on her break, but I never managed to.

With most of the day gone, it was time to go home. In the back of my mind, I had the thought of Maggie's Lasagne, this was the one thing that kept me going. As it was a meal to celebrate, I invited Lily to come as well. The only other person I wanted was Sarah.

On the car journey home, I twiddled my thumb around my phone, hesitant to call Sarah. I wasn't sure why there was hesitation in calling her, but I felt like there was a string tugged at my fingers, where the times I would try and dial her number, I just simply couldn't.

"What's on your mind?" Alexander asked as he softly held my hand, planting a subtle kiss on my knuckles.

Although my eyes were not directed towards Alexander, I could feel his brown orbs gaze towards me, making me feel like there some sense of peace surrounding me.

"I need to call Sarah, invite her over for dinner." I bleakly replied with my thumb hovering over her number, ready to dial away.

"What's wrong, can you not ring her?" Alexander innocently replied. The soft mellows in the tone of his voice, enabled me to soften inside, allowing me to curl a smile, feeling warm and fuzzy.

I teared my eyes away from my phone, and on to Alexander, who elegantly peered towards me, patiently waiting for me to respond.

"I don't know why I'm being like this. I can't get myself to ring her. I think deep down, I just don't want her to turn my offer down. These past few days we've been distant, I don't know what's happened." The words tumbled out of my mouth, and then in dawned on me; hesitation around my best friend.

Alexander let out a slow sigh, and adjusted his body so he was facing fully towards me. He took the phone away from me and held my hands, steadily soothing my skin with his thumb.

"She's your best friend. Now I don't know what's going on with her, but if you ring her, I'm sure she won't decline you. If she does, don't get caught up about it." Alexander words felt like a breeze of encouragement.

Plucking up the courage, I picked up my phone and bravely dialled her number. After five rings, she picked up.

"Louisa, I'm so glad you called." She exclaimed from the other side of the phone.

"I was just going to call you. It's like you read my mind." She chimed as she let out a chuckle.

Hearing her say those words, it felt like I had got my best friend back. I shook the unwanted thoughts away from me. Why on earth was I feeling like this about my best friend.

"You have no idea how great it is to hear your bubbly voice again." I finally let out.

"There's something I need to tell you-"

"What? What is it?" Sarah gasped butting in.

"I need to tell you face to face, come to ours tonight, we're having dinner-"

"Say no more. I will be there." Sarah beamed once again, not allowing me to finish my sentence.

I tittered at her excitement and after a few further words, I hung up the phone. The mood within the car and whatever dark cloud that was surrounding me, was lifted. The anticipation of seeing my best friend after a few days apart was bursting of joy inside of me.

I turned to Alexander who had a wide smile accompany his face. For the rest of the car ride home, I leaned into place, with my head on Alexander's shoulder. What more could I ask for, a breath-taking fiancé by my side, giving me the words of encouragement that I needed.

***

Taking a step back, I looked to admire the table that both Maggie and I had set. The dining table was adorned with candle lights, arrangements of pink and white flowers, and the plates and glasses set at each section.

Lily had arrived while I was swept away helping Maggie, but we were still waiting for Sarah. I had received no call or text from her. I was hesitant in thinking about if she would come or not.

"It smells amazing." A chirpy voice boomed from behind me. My eyes widen and brightened at the familiar sound. When I turn on my heels, I saw Sarah in all her glory, waving her hands towards me.

My feet pattered against the floored tiles as I got closer and grabbed her into a grand hug.

"I am so glad to see you." I exclaimed, coming out of the hug.

"Me too." She excitedly responded.

I felt like all the strange worry I had in me, had melted away. I cringed at myself for even feeling like that around my best friend. Pushing the thoughts out, there was something that needed to be told.

"I have something to show you." I mischievously hinted.

Her brows furrowed and her head quizzically turned. Sarah waited for me to reveal all.

I wiggled my left hand in front of her, whilst also laughing like a sneaky child who had just done something bad.  At first Sarah looked at me expressionless. Within the next few seconds, it finally landed in her head what I was showing.

A gasp escaped from her mouth, her eyes widened so much to the point where I thought her eye would have pop out. Nothing but stutters consumed her ability to speak.

"Louisa! No way! You have got to be kidding me!" Sarah gushed.

"Yes way!" I squealed.

Speechless once again, she grabbed me for another hug and this time she squeezed me so much, that I was beginning to think any second, I would have stopped breathing from all the happiness.

"Congratulations!" She finally said after gathering herself.

"Congratulations Alexander!" She shouted over as he was deep in conversation with Lily. He turned around to say thank you.

I looked at the people around me, and a surge of pure peace and happiness flowed through me. This was what I had always wanted. People around me that gave me nothing but happiness. Most time I had always thought I had been lucky, but I never knew the true meaning until today.

I was lucky to have a caring, down to earth, beautiful fiancé. I was lucky to have close friends like Lily and Maggie, I could easily rely on and go to if I needed advice. Then there was Sarah, lucky to have her as my number one. She will always be part of me no matter what. She was a true friend, even in my time when I nearly gave up on providing true happiness for myself. She was there.

Although the weather outside was moderately cold, I felt like the sun was shining on me. I felt like I truly was blossoming into the person I was always meant to be.

After admiring the people around me. I beckoned for Sarah to join the table. Alexander, Sarah, Lily, Maggie and I, sat around the table. Chuckling and eating away.

***

The evening was drawing to a close. Lily had already left, after helping Maggie clear the table, to which Maggie called it a night and went to her room. Alexander had been gone for a while, as a phone call pulled him away. Sarah and I both sprawled out on the sofa.

I felt like I was in a food coma, or even pregnant with a food baby. Although I was full, I was still dreaming about the creamy and spicy lasagne. The way the cheese melted in my mouth, with the tang from the spices welcoming my tastebuds.

"I am stuffed." Sarah muffled as she slowly got up, snapping me out of day dreaming about the food.

"So am-"

Before I could finish what I was saying, a ring from Sarah's phone ruptured between us. Startling me, I shot myself up. My eyes automatically fell on her phone. Confusion entered me as I saw Calum's name on her phone.

In a split second, she hung up without even answering the call. I narrowed my eyes towards her as she faced the other way.

"Um, why did you cut the call?" I questioned, intrigued to find out why Calum had called her.

"It probably was nothing important." She blandly replied, still not facing me.

There was some sort of tension around us. It felt like the temperature had dropped to an unsatisfying heat, where I felt hot and muggy. I knew it wasn't my place to ask my next question, but something within me urged to ask.

"Why is Calum calling you?" I questioned as if I was a detective.

"I don't know, just." Sarah bleakly replied, shrugging her shoulders. She started to play around with her phone, playfully throwing it on the sofa as if she felt awkward.

I hummed at her response, whilst shaking my head, as if I was disapproving of something. At this moment she had seen my reaction and squirmed her nose towards me, jerking her head back.

"Why are you being like that?" She said with a sudden change to the tone of her voice.

"Like what?" I replied in almost a chuckle.

She mumbled something, showcasing that she was ending the conversation. Tension around us was clearly evident. The sunshine that was overwhelming me with happiness earlier, was now feeling like a heavy burden.

This was the exact reason why we were not speaking for a few days. Her sudden change in her behaviour, her awkwardness when I questioned her. I feel like I couldn't take any more of this, and I was determined to find out what was truly going on.

"Is something going on between you two?" I bravely questioned, preparing myself for what she had to say.

"What?" She scoffed. "What are you talking about."

I wait for her to carry on, but silence consumed her. She had nothing more to say.

I scoffed myself at her bleak response.

"Is that all you're going to say?" I replied calmly as I didn't want to raise my voice in frustration. "You invite him to our welcome back get-together, you often bump into him-"

"Louisa it's nothing. I've known him for a long time, we're friends." Sarah signed as she didn't allow me to finish my sentence.

"Yeah, but-"

"Look, I've got to go now. So, I'll see you tomorrow at work." She shined me a bright smile as if the conversation never happened.

Picking herself up from the sofa, she leaned down to hug me. Smiling once again, she waved goodbye and with that she was now gone.

Dumbfounded at the altercation between us, many questions were flying around me. Deep down there was something she was concealing from me, and I was determined to find out what it was.

There was something stopping her from telling me something, but I just didn't know what it was. I sighed as I thought about how I could find out what was truly distracting Sarah from me.

In the corner of my eyes, I could see Alexander appearing from far, this meant that he had finished his phone call. Without him saying another word, I trotted merrily towards him. We both make our way to close the night we had.

As I was distracted by Sarah, right now all I could think about was sleeping sound in Alexander's arms. I had the thought of a new day emergence at the front of my mind, a day to work towards understanding what was going on with Sarah.

A/N

It's hard to see best friends apart! Just when they seemed to get back on track, something puts a spanner in the works.

What is Sarah hiding? And why is Calum calling her?

Don't forget to share, comment and vote!

Love _xxAMxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.6M 1M 41
Grief-stricken over the death of the boss who was like a father to her, Olivia Bailey is left to deal with the aftermath--the arrival of his dashing...
908K 30.5K 61
Rosie White, an Art History student working to achieve her life goal of becoming a sought-after local artist. She pours her heart and soul into her a...
35K 1.8K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
626K 17.2K 40
Natalia Fuller has had a difficult upbringing in her early adolescence but she has learned to come out strong. As a result, she has a wonderful full...