Distractions (teacherxstudent...

By ayexdan

I do not in any way condone relationships with a teacher. I was very young when writing this but I know peopl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue

Chapter 4

25.7K 678 264
By ayexdan

Noel POV

Second day of school. I got no sleep last night. I was up feeling guilty. I'm gonna try to avoid Carter for a little while.. Except for the class I have her in.. Somehow, I don't think it'll work.

I walk into the school and go inside my classroom. Mark came over.

"Hey, Noel. Didn't you say you just moved here?" I nodded. "Do you know many people here? Meaning, do you want my recommendation for clubs or places to meet people? Friends or people more that friends." I looked at him and laughed.

"I don't know.." He laughed.

"Here, take my number, and whenever you decide, I'm a text away. Besides, we could be besties now. Don't think I'm busy because that guy yesterday was pure hell. Actually, tomorrow night, if you agree, we can go somewhere." Hmm, this'll help me... I just don't know. I do need to meet more people.

"I'll let you know by at least tomorrow morning." It's Thursday today. Don't ask why they started school on a Wednesday. It's stupid.

"Okay, it'll be fun. You need to get out anyway." He said.

"Same thing my brother said."

"See that's because it's true. Does he live around here with you?" I shook my head.

"No, in New York. "

"So, any old girls or anything back home?" I shrugged.

"Most of my girlfriends broke up with me because my mom hated them, and every time they came over, she'd be rude. Argue or fight with them. Literally, there was an actual fight once. Last girlfriend was my best friend, but we decided best friends was enough." He shook his head.

"That's a shame a grown woman would do that. I couldn't deal with it. You're great. So does your Dad support you?" He asked openly.

"You have no limits do you?" He shrugged and laughed.

"Not really, go on." I laughed.

"Yeah he does. Always has. Why so many questions?" He smirked.

"Oh... no reason. So you're 22 right?" I nodded confused. He got up and started walking out mumbling. I heard a little bit.

"Hmmm.. four... not too bad... maybe..." That's all I could catch. I'm so confused.

"Ms. Stewart, need some help?" My back was turned away from the door and I closed my eyes and cursed. I know that voice. I turned around and looked at her, she was looking around the classroom. She'd forgotten her glasses today. Her eyes...

"Hey Carter, uhh, I don't really think I need anything." I said swallowing my nerves. She shrugged and I sat in my desk taking a deep breath.

"Well, I just like to get to class early. I forgot my glasses today, good thing I'm not too blind. So, how was your first day yesterday?" She asked and sat in the desk by mine. I could see her eyes perfectly now, as she looked down at me. Her eyes are beautiful, and an interesting sight. They're green, freaking green with a hazel tone too. Wow, I've never seen eyes like that. I could get lost in them. I think I did because I heard her clear her throat. I shook my head and gave her an apologetic look.

"Sorry I didn't get much sleep last night. My day yesterday was great, I like my classes. The students, the school, and my co-workers are all great. I'm happy I chose this school." She smiled and nodded.

"That's good. I don't understand how you teachers do it. I have so much respect for you, dealing with us teenagers. Our generation is shameful. Disrespect to authority, smoking and doing drugs, coming to school with hangovers, going to jail. It could ruin them...Well I guess if their parents let them it's different. I'm glad my mom doesn't let me though, because from what I heard about alcohol and drugs, that they take away pain and help you forget...I'd end up always doing that stuff if that's the case. Good thing I have a great mom and a great sense of understanding and forgiving...Sorry...I've gone too far." She said getting up and walking around the classroom looking at posters I put up. For some reason I want to know about her life, what she's been through. Things no one else knows about her. Not to be nosy of course. I just want to know her... But I can't.

"You're a good kid Carter. Actually, you're not a kid, you're an adult at 18. You're really mature for your age. It's a good thing, you have great morals and a great mother. She sounds like a great person." She smiled proudly and nodded.

"Oh yeah, she is.. My role model. I want my mindset and personality to be like hers. Fight through everything, try your hardest, forgive and forget... She's phenomenal, really strong willed. She never holds grudges and she loves everyone. I'm very grateful to have her. She's the reason I do what I do. We don't have much. A small house, it's just us two though. My brother's in college. The two of us... we're trying to work hard to get her what she deserves. That's why I'm getting out of school early. I graduate earlier than the rest of my class, because all I need is half a credit. I'm taking these other classes to pass time..." Wait what? Early? "Mark- I mean Mr. Gomez helped me. My friends don't even know about it. I feel guilty not telling them.. I don't know why I'm telling you, it's just you listen, and I just feel like I can trust you. Not that I can't trust my friends... I just don't know how to tell them."

"I think they'll be happy for you. If you've been friends with them that long, they should be pushing you to do what you can. I know I would, you have so much you could do. Look how smart you are, I've looked at your past grades. Carter, you can do anything you set your mind to." She smiled widely and looked at me in my eye. Then she squinted and slanted her head confused. She shook her head and looked back at a poster.

"Thank you, it means a lot coming from you. Twenty-two and already out of college, and you've got more than a bachelor's degree. Not to mention you're not done, taking classes online. Moving away to a place you're not familiar with.. Takes a lot... I can't do it though. I can't leave my mom to be alone. When I graduate, I'm gonna stay here and go to college here. By the way, ham, bologna, or turkey?" I looked at her confused and laughed.

"Turkey?" I said laughing. "There's plenty of great options here in California. Don't sweat it Carter. You'll do great things wherever you go. You can just about get anywhere with your mindset. Don't forget that..." She grinned widely and nodded.

The bell rang and she smiled and sat down in her seat. People started coming in and I went into the hallway to wait for the late bell. The bell rang and I went inside.

I looked around and Amy was trying to hold Carter's hand, but Carter kept pulling it back, then she finally put it in her pocket. Amy laughed and Carter looked aggravated. It should've been funny, but for some odd reason I felt a pang of jealousy strike. Carter isn't looking for a relationship so why am I jealous? But she's out of school soon... wouldn't she not have to be focused then? Shut up Noel, you're her teacher. Nothing else, and you've known her for a day. Anyway, these other girls have been trying for years and years. Why would I have a chance? Especially against Amy, they're best friends.

"Carter, can you come up and help me pass out tests?" I asked her. She smiled, nodded, and got up. I gave her the test papers while I passed out scantrons. When we finished I thanked her and she sat down.

"You can start your tests, when you finish, bring me the tests, and start copying down the notes on the board for what you'll need for this class."

Less than ten minutes later, Carter got up and put her test on the desk. That was quick. I raised my eyebrows at her playfully and she smirked and nodded. So I decided to go ahead and put her test through the scantron.

My eyes widened as it read a 98. I mean, I looked at her grades, and I know they're high, but that was quick, and this is the unit pretest with 50 questions. She started yesterday, but there wasn't much time then either. I looked back up at her and she was copying her notes. Everyone else except one other kid, Nigel, finished around the end of class. Nigel finished about 15 minutes after Carter. Carter still got the highest grade, with Nigel, then Amy behind her.

Everyone started packing up, the bell was about to ring.

"If you didn't finish copying, it'll be up tomorrow, but I'll only allow you to copy until the late bell rings. If you come in late, you'll have to get it from a friend." The bell rang, and everyone piled out. I saw Amy wrap her arms around Carter and kiss her cheek. Carter groaned, and tried to push her off, but gave up. Once again, my jealously appeared.

"But why C?"

"Amy, just because last night happened doesn't mean you can do this to me now. I thought we had this fucking conversation." Carter said annoyed. Amy rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, you know.." That's all I heard before they were out of my hearing range. I got up and went outside in the hallway to wait for the late bell for the next class. It's a shame how jealous I am. What happened last night? Carter doesn't have sex, or so she said, but that's what it seems... I may be going to the club with Mark. The last time I went through this, I was wrong about her.

The next few classes passed by slowly, and I'm fourth period, right on time, Mark came in.

"You look down since this morning. What's up?" I shook my head.

"The day is passing by slowly and I am tired. You know, I never asked you exactly how you knew I was lesbian." He laughed.

"Subject changing means lies my new bestie. It's okay though, I figure out everything. That's the answer to your question too. I just figure out everything, nothing can be hidden from me. I don't just teach Psychology." I looked at him confused.

"But you don't teach psychology.." He waved me off.

"Actually I do... Anyway, have you thought about the club?" He said with a smirk.

"Yes, I have.." He made a gesture for me to go on."I'm in desperate need of a night out." He clapped and sat on my desk.

"I knew it! See I knew it was more than just tiredness. What's wrong?" Well there is more wrong than just Carter, so I'll cover it with that.

"I miss my family, mostly my brother and my Dad. I haven't talked to Dad in a while. I talked to my brother last night." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Is your brother single?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Shouldn't you say is he gay?" He shook his head.

"No, I can work with straight men, takes a while, but I'm convincing. Men in a relationship are harder and too much work. Now, answer the question." I shrugged.

"Last time I asked he was in a relationship with a woman." He told me not to tell anyone, so I won't. Not even Mark.

"Aww that's too bad. Oh well." I laughed.

"He lives all the way in New York."

"And I'm sure one day he'll come visit you."

"You have a point there."

"I'm always right. Now speaking of, have you seen how smart Carter is?" I nodded.

"Hell yeah. Why didn't you tell me she was leaving in the middle of the year?" He raised his eyebrows surprised.

"Because that's her business. She hasn't even told her friends this yet. Wonder why she told you." He said with a knowing smile. Is he insinuating something?

"Because I'm a great listener and a marvelous teacher?" I said.

"Mhmm. Yeah I bet. What else has Carter been telling you?" I shrugged.

"That she forgot her glasses." He gave me a look that showed he didn't believe me and rolled his eyes."About her mom, she's a admirable woman. I'd like to meet her one day, she's the reason Carter's so smart. She told me that her mom is the reason she does what she does, why she's graduating early." He smiled.

"A little more than a day. She's known you for maybe 26 hours. Anyway, a little secret, it's when the basketball season is over, she'll never let down her team. But we won't know when that's over until playoffs. Well actually they're gonna win. Carter is amazing at basketball." Hmm..

"So when are playoffs gonna be over?" He scoffed.

"Honey, they haven't even made the schedule for district yet.... You have a long time to wait..." He mumbled the last part, and I'm not sure that's what he said. I kinda choked and looked at him confused.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." He said picking at his nails with his legs crossed.

"Mark, you are something else." He laughed.

"You will appreciate me dearly one day."

"Trust me, I already do. You're my first friend here." He smiled proudly and put a hand over his heart.

"You're so sweet. I'm not going to cry. Hold it in Mark. Don't do it." I laughed at him.

"So, what's your type of girl?" He said wiggling his eyebrows. Let's see.. Carter, Carter, a little bit of Carter... some Carter, and the rest Carter.

"Tall, fit and sporty, masculine look, but soft at the same time. Oh! Thoughtful, that helps. Gotta have brains, because well I'm a teacher I love nerds. Loves to cuddle, and just spend time with me. Doesn't have to be a overly romantic person, meaning dates every now and then is okay, but it's not too important...There's a whole list, but I can't describe everything. You know?" He smiled and nodded.

"So your ex/best friend. Which one of these wasn't she?" I looked at him confused.

"Had to be a reason you broke up other than friends was enough." I tilted my head in thought.

"I don't know.. I never thought of it that way." He frowned.

"Hmm... Really? Well I gotta go, need to get my stuff ready for the next class. See you later alligator." I laughed and waved.

"How dare you not reply? You're supposed to reply to that! It's always replied to!" He looked around a flipped me off before closing my room door. I shook my head laughing.

I ran the tests from the classes into the scantron until the lunch bell rang.

I walked out of the classroom and into the teacher's lounge. I left my lunch again, and was about to get a soda, but decided against it. I left and went to the bathroom. When I finished I walked back towards my classroom. I saw Carter, Kale, and Amy talking in the hallway. Amy's hand was grasping Carter's with her head on her shoulder, Carter just stood there looking around. She saw me and her eyes widened and she tried to pull away as I heard Kale say, "So you guys finally confessed your love?" before I turned the corner.

I quickly walked back to my room. I looked at my desk and there was a brown paper bag and a note. Written in small neat handwriting was:

This morning when I was looking around the room at the 'posters', I was looking for a refrigerator or something to show me you didn't forget your lunch again. After searching, I found nothing: no bag, no refrigerator, no containers. So just to be safe, I left you some lunch. It's the reason I asked you: ham, bologna, or turkey. I hope you enjoy it.

-Carter, your favorite student ;)

p.s. one of those juices is never enough for me, so I put something else in there.

I smiled. She's so thoughtful. To think I was just mad because of what I saw. I shouldn't have been. Carter's not mine, well she's my student. She can do what she wants. Plus I should learn from listening to halves of conversations.

I opened up the bag and laughed. A turkey and American cracker stackers Lunchable with a Reese's. I loved these, I haven't had them in a long time! So that's why she said the juices aren't enough. She put a small bottle of Hawaiian Punch in the bag too.

I happily ate the lunch. Man I had no idea how much I missed these. Thank God for Carter. She'd be a great girlfriend. There's no doubt about it. Whoever she decides to be with when she's older will be a lucky woman.

I finished everything and threw the trash away, but kept the note. I don't know why, but I just felt like it was necessary. I sat and started back to grading the tests. Then I heard a knock at my door.

"Come in." The door opened, and it was Carter. I immediately smiled.

"Oh hey Carter! I really appreciate the lunch! I did actually leave my lunch... It was really good. I love Lunchables, haven't had them in a while." She smiled.

"I was hoping for that. I told Amy and Kale I had to use the bathroom and came here." I felt a course of jealousy pass as I heard Amy's name. I guess she kinda saw my facial expression and felt the need to explain.

"Amy and I talked last night. She told me she used to like me, and I told her that I used to like her too. It was pretty weird honestly, I was really nervous, because I never share my feelings with people. Thing is, I don't usually show interest in many girls." Dammit. "But we agreed that we're better as best friends because it wouldn't work. Anyway, she decided it's time that she leaves Kale alone, and start acting like she likes me. She used to always do it to Kale, and his girlfriends used to get mad. It was funny then, until she started doing it to me. I see how he felt. She doesn't understand what no means. But she's my best friend... so I deal with it. I know how she is, and she'll stop when I get serious enough to make her. Right now, I don't care much because it's making girls leave me alone. I'd rather her do that than those other girls." I let out a breath of relief, but I didn't let it be too known.

"I see what you mean. That's the reason my ex and I broke up. We were best friends first, and decided that was the best. Something just wasn't right about being with her, you know?" She nodded and sat down at the desk by mine.

"That's exactly what it is with Amy.. I just don't know exactly what it is.. It just doesn't feel correct. Like I know she's not who was put on earth for me. I've heard that you just have that feeling, you'll know. Amy was close, one of the closest, but something was missing."

"Yeah that's exactly it!" She looked around then looked down guiltily.

"Listen, Ms. Stewart, yesterday...I'm sorry about invading your personal space or whatever...when I said you were lesbian. It kinda just slipped out."

"It's fine. For some reason I think of you more as a friend than a student.. Anyway, how'd you know?" She shrugged.

"I'm very observant. I noticed how when you were talking to that girl, when you talked about guys, your nose scrunched up, and you seemed disgusted. The way you compose yourself, and the way you react when guys here hit on you, or watch you. I think it's disgusting the way they look at you like a piece of meat. The guys on the team, they've mentioned you, but I told them it was disrespectful and if I heard it again, we're running double and they stopped. It's only been two days, and they're crazy. Any way, I was 100% sure then, but my favorite number is 7 and my favorite fraction is 1/3. I know, it's weird, but I'm weird." She said shyly.

"You've got a keen sense.. You're not weird Carter. You've got your own style, your own way, like I noticed you don't like matching. It's refreshing to talk to someone who's not trying to hide them selves. You should embrace your inner you. From what I see, you do around me." She smiled and looked me in my eye without stuttering.

"Thank you. No one's ever said anything like that to me except for my mom." She said jokingly.

"It's true. You know, that's the first time you've looked me in my eye without stuttering or getting nervous and looking away." She laughed.

"It is huh? I'm sorry, I'm not usually shaken up or nervous around girls. Well, you're a woman, but anyway, you kinda make me nervous." I looked at her surprised.

"Why?" She looked down shyly, and opened her mouth, but closed it. She opened it once more,

"Y-you're-" The bell rang signaling the end of lunch.

"And it's back." She smiled nervously and got up walking towards the door.

"Goodbye Ms. Stewart, have a nice day."

"Goodbye Carter, you too." I said, and she walked out leaving me in deep though. The rest of the day I was thinking of her. It's a good thing they're only taking a test, because I wasn't focused at all.

School ended and I finished up my papers and got into my car. Then I heard my phone ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey Noel." Josh said.

"Hey Joshie. What's up?" He laughed.

"Your surprise. I can tell you today. Where are you?"

"In the car."

"Okay, well go home, and call me back. I hate when you talk and drive." I laughed at his protectiveness and hung up. He can actually be caring sometimes, other times, he's a bitch. But I love him. When I got home, I got out of the car and opened my door. I went into the living room. My eyes widened.

"How do you like your surprise?" Josh was here... along with Alex.

"I- Oh my gosh! You guys! I've missed you so much!" I said running and jumping into Josh's arms. He kissed my cheek and laughed.

"Why don't I get a hug?" Alex said playfully. I laughed and went to hug her. She still looked the same. Tall, fit, and my type. But like Mark said, something had to be missing. Maybe it's the Carter part, I joked to myself.

As I hugged her I inhaled her familiar cologne. She kissed my cheek and spun me around.

"What are you guys doing here?" They laughed.

"Well, I got a job down here. I didn't want you to be alone. Plus I told Mom about it, and I think she needs her space. Alex just wanted to come along to see you, though I think she's staying." I looked at him surprised.

"Oh my, are you okay? How'd she take it?" He shrugged.

"Better than she took it with you." Well that's good.

"Well, tomorrow night, us three are going out. I have a new best friend, and Josh you might like him." He raised his eyebrows.

"You're replacing me?" Alex asked.

"No. You know you can't be replaced. You're like the ultimate best friend. But I'll just have two ultimate best friends now." They laughed. We sat down and watched TV for a while. Then I heard a stomach growl.

"Well I think I'm hungry." Alex said. Josh nodded.

"I guess we're gonna have to go out somewhere. Let me change first. You guys can get situated in your rooms." I said and showed them their rooms, then I went to mine. I don't think I can get any happier right now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 2.6K 37
When a teacher starts at a new school she is devoted to help her students. She's the caring type but still lives a partying life. Helping one of her...
67K 1.5K 15
warning | The following story contains vulgar language and sexual scenes that might be offensive to some readers. So don't go complaining in the comm...
146K 3.7K 16
Emily had to take a year off from school because of her mental health, and now she's 18 and ready to start fresh. She's always been a straight-A stud...
176 8 21
It's hard to forget someone who got your heart and soul broken. It's hard to forget those memories; those happy and and sad moments will still haunt...