Liebestraum (Kurama X OC)

By Arielle1850

During the Dark Tournament a mysterious girl appears with a rare and potentially dangerous gifting. At first... More

Chapter 01: A Prima Vista (Or, quite literally, at first sight)
Chapter 02: A Due (Or, a musical direction meaning "for two")
Chapter 03: Consolation (Or, the act of offering comfort to someone)
Chapter 04: Nocturne (Or, a piece of music of a nocturnal mood)
Chapter 05: Accent (Or, a momentary emphasis on a particular melodic detail)
Chapter 06: Hohe Liebe (Or, the first movement)
Chapter 07: Cambiare (Or, to change)
Chapter 08: Harmony (Or, the sounding of two complimenting notes)
Chapter 10: Un Sosprio (Or, literally, a sigh)
Chapter 11: Dolente (Or, played with plaintive emotion)
Chapter 12: Modulation (Or, the process of changing from one key to another)
Chapter 13: Etude (Or, a composition intended to improve aspects of technique)
Chapter 14: Prelude (Or, a musical introduction to subsequent movements)
Chapter 15: Dissonance (Or, the feeling of stability in relation to tension)
Chapter 16: Fermata (Or, to stop, pause, and hold)
Chapter 17: Poco a Poco (Or, little by little)
Chapter 18: Seliger Tod (Or, the second movement)
Chapter 19: En Dehors (Or, a directive to make the melody stand out)
Chapter 20: A Serenade (Or, a performance delivered in honor of someone)
Chapter 21: Liebestraum
Chapter 22: Dolore (Or, with an emotion of pain and distress)
Chapter 23: Ecstasy of Gold (Or, in a trance)
Chapter 24: Dreams of Love
Chapter 25: Avec (Or, free and unrestrained)
Chapter 26: Solo (Or, a section of music played by a single performer)
Chapter 27: Legato (Or, a group of notes that are joined up instead of separate)
Chapter 28: Affrettando (Or, hurrying and pressing onward)
Chapter 29: Loop (Or, a section of music that can be repeated indefinitely)
Chapter 30: Coda (Or, a section of music indicating the end is approaching)
Chapter 31: Prima Volta (Or literally, the first time)
Chapter 32: O Lieb, so Lang du Lieben Kannst (Or, the final movement)
An Afterward from the Author
The sequel is here!

Chapter 09: Anima (Or, played with feeling)

314 15 1
By Arielle1850

Asuka looked around the cramped one room apartment. It was about 76 square meters and furnished with a mattress, area rug, low sitting table, desk, and had a single stocked row of cabinets with a sink. The bathroom was just off the hallway to the outside, and thankfully, the apartment had a washer.

"What do you think?" Shizuru asked gently.

The apartment cost 70,000 yen a month to rent, which was about average. Asuka bit her lip thoughtfully. Technically she could afford a 1LDK (one bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen) but that would cost her over 130,000 yen a month.

I need to make that money I got from Sakyo last as long as possible. I could live more comfortably, but Seiou doesn't allow students to have part time jobs, and it's hard to say what the future will bring.

"It's," Asuka hesitated, "It's tiny. But I like that this apartment has a small balcony and there's shopping just around the corner. Plus, if I get into Kurama's school, it's about a twenty-minute walk. That'll save me a lot of yen on transportation. And if I don't get into his school, the train ride won't be too bad to Keiko's."

Shizuru opened the cabinets and inspected the dishware. It was plain, but having the apartment mostly furnished meant Asuka wouldn't have to buy much. Just some sheets, blankets and towels.

"I think it's a good place for you," Shizuru nodded. "The neighborhood seems decent, you'd be fairly close to school, and I saw a coffee shop with computers you can use."

Asuka sat on the mattress and sighed. Since landing in Japan she'd done nothing but try and get her life sorted. Kurama had helped by expertly putting together a fake school transcript, helping her fill out the official documents and getting them to the Ward's office. She got a bank account, applied to Kurama's school, got the date to play her piano piece for the scholarship board, and gone apartment shopping.

Shizuru sat on the bed next to Asuka and pulled her close. "I know it's been a lot," she said sympathetically. "And please know, Kazuma and I are here for you anytime."

"Thank you," Asuka said softly. "I really appreciate everything you've done for me, including putting the apartment in your name. They don't take too kindly to 14-year-old renters."

Shizuru laughed. "Speaking of which, if you want this apartment, let's tell the landlord outside. I'll drive you to the Tokyou Hands store and you can get anything you need, which doesn't appear to be much."

"Sounds good."

Asuka opted to stay in the apartment and take a moment for herself. She looked around, satisfied.

"Okay!" Shizuru exclaimed when she finally came back into the apartment. "It's all taken care of. I gave her the information for your bank account, so withdrawals should happen automatically. I'll tell you how to change the door code later. Good thing your clothes are already in the car, Asuka. You can be mostly settled in by tonight!"

Tokyou Hands turned out to be a superstore that was eight stories high with multiple sections. Shizuru seemed to know her way around and brought Asuka to different departments. She picked out a soft lavender bedspread, white towels, brown dishcloths, and picked up shampoo, conditioner, and other such essentials. Even with how little she had to buy, there were multiple bags.

Despite the past week being nonstop, Asuka found herself grinning from ear to ear when she walked up the stairs to her new apartment. It was small, but it was hers. She had a shot at a brand-new life and wasn't going to waste it.

Groceries were put away, the bed made, and a few decorations put on the walls. Shizuru generously paid for dinner before leaving Asuka to continue getting settled. With a smile, Asuka flopped on her bed and reached for her phone to call the one person she most looked forward to seeing.

Cell phones existed for over ten years in Japan, but they were were now just starting to become popular. Asuka was responsible for her phone bill either way, so she decided it made more sense to have a portable one.

Free nights and weekends too.

"Mushi-Mushi, this is the Minamino residence," a smooth voice said on the other end.

"Kurama, its me," Asuka grinned.

"Asuka, its been a few days," he said brightly. "I trust you've settled in?"

She looked around the small room. "Mostly. I, or rather, Shizuru signed an apartment for me and I picked up some supplies at Tokyou Hands. I'm only a twenty-minute walk from school which is nice."

"Speaking of school," Kurama said, "I know you've been busy, but do you think you'll have time to study tomorrow? You've got about ten days to prepare and I want to help as much as I can."

Asuka stifled a yawn and rubbed her eye. "Yeah, that's why I called actually. Time to hit the books."

"May I have your address?" Kurama asked. "I'll meet you at your apartment at ten and then we can head to the library."

"Sure, I just hope it's not too far from your house."

Kurama then took her address and new phone number before promising to see her in the morning.

I can do this, she told herself. I've got to.

-* ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ *-

The next morning, Kurama rung her doorbell at exactly ten am. Asuka opened the door to find him wearing a black shirt that brought out the red of his hair and the green of his eyes. He smiled softly, causing Asuka to do the same.

"Good morning Kurama. Would you like to come in for a moment?"

He peered over her shoulder. "I would. Thank you for allowing me to come."

"Of course," Asuka replied. "It's not much, just a 1R, but..."

"You thought it was better to conserve your money?" Kurama offered.

She pushed back the loose strands of hair behind her ears. "Yes, that's it exactly."

With his shoes off, Kurama stepped into the apartment and began to walk down the narrow hallway. "It's prudent, and wise," he said.

Asuka was grateful for the comment and followed Kurama into her apartment. She watched his eyes sweep over her humble dwelling before they found hers.

"I like it," he said sincerely. "And it's nice you have a small balcony."

"Actually," Asuka said looking over at the door to the outside, "I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of plants would be suitable for my apartment and the balcony. I'm thinking about having one outside and one inside."

Kurama crossed the room, slid open the door to the balcony, and peaked his head out. Asuka watched with fascination as he closed his eyes and breathed deeply before coming inside.

"I have an idea," he said. "It looks like the balcony gets a lot of sun but judging by the height of the building next door, only some light will get in here. What kind of plants would you like?"

"Flowers please."

His eyes danced. "I saw a garden store on the way here. If you don't mind me coming back with you later, we could stop and get some supplies."

"I'd love that," Asuka said, regarding her friend with a warm expression. "Thank you, Kurama."

"It is no trouble. Shall we be off?"

Asuka picked up her bag with notebooks and supplies from her desk. "Yes, lets."

After she engaged the lock on her apartment door, Asuka and Kurama walked down the three flights of stairs and made their way to the street. They walked in comfortable silence, and it gave Asuka a chance to observe her neighborhood. There were a lot of restaurants and small shops. It certainly wasn't the fanciest, but it had a good home feel, and Asuka was looking forward to meeting some of the local neighbors.

"Your neighborhood is nice," Kurama said.

Asuka smiled. "I was just thinking about that. We looked at a lot of places, but I think this one was the best in terms of distance from school, area, and price. It'll feel even more homey once I get familiar with some of the neighbors."

Kurama put his hands in his pockets. "The library is a few blocks closer to you than the school is. We'll be there shortly."

"Perfect."

Unlike a lot of library's that were large and overwhelming, this library was subtle. The front was only a few steps up from the street and had a white-washed concrete exterior with a few large windows. They sauntered in, and Asuka allowed Kurama to take the lead as he wound his way through the massive shelves of books to the back, where group study was allowed. It was a Saturday and many of the tables were filled, but Kurama managed to find an out of the way spot. He took off the bag that was slung over his shoulder, pulled out two large paperback books, and a notebook.

"I think I'll have you take a practice test right away," Kurama said thumbing through the pages. "Don't stress about anything you're unsure of. I think this will help us to know where you're at, so we best know how to focus."

"That makes sense," Asuka agreed, taking a pencil out of her bag. "Let me know where to start."

Kurama turned the book towards her. "There are six main subjects. Japanese, reading comprehension, foreign language, history, science, and math. This is normally a timed test, but I think for today you should just go at your own pace. Let me know when you're done."

Asuka watched Kurama take another book out of his bag and open it. She turned to the first category and began going through the questions.

To her relief, she found Japanese grammar to be fairly straightforward, and while her skills weren't perfect, she could understand most of the questions. Reading comprehension was the same. Foreign language mainly focused on English and asked her to translate sentences to the best of her ability. There was also an optional section for Chinese which she completed. History proved to be a bit tougher. Most of the questions she knew, but the right answer was missing from a decent amount of multiple-choice questions, which puzzled her. Science was hit and miss, depending on the category. Some questions she understood, but a lot were completely foreign.

Math, in the last section, was devastating. Hardly anything made sense. She understood and comprehended basic math, but it was clear a lot of these questions were out of her league. Any pride she had completing the other subjects was swept away by a feeling of utter ineptitude. She tried not to stress like Kurama said, but it was frankly impossible. Defeated, she put down her pencil.

"All done?" Kurama asked. He looked at her face and frowned. "What's wrong Asuka?"

Tears pricked her eyes, but she was determined not to let them fall. "I'm really bad at complex math, Kurama."

He reached for the book and flipped through her work. His eyes widened when he saw how little she accomplished, but other than that his face remained impassive. Asuka put a hand over eyes, ashamed at how stupid she felt.

After a few moments, Kurama's gentle voice drifted through the fog. "Asuka?"

She looked up to see his expression full of curiosity. "What is it?"

"Can you speak English fluently?" he asked, in English.

"I don't...know," she replied in kind. "I...I guess so, since I'm talking to you in English."

He nodded. "And what about Chinese?"

"You're speaking in Mandarin, but...I think I can also speak Cantonese."

His eyes widened as he regarded her. Asuka wasn't sure what he was thinking.

"Come with me?" he asked, finally.

She nodded and followed him through the library's shelves until they came across a section labeled "foreign." He stopped, took a book, opened it and asked her to read an excerpt.

It was in Korean. Asuka read it.

He continued to go through the shelves, testing Asuka on what was available. Spanish, German, French, Hindi, Arabic were just a few. After a while it became almost freaky, and Asuka's delight soon turned into horror.

"Kurama..." she whispered in English, "Who...who am I? I shouldn't know how to speak all these languages. This scares me."

He put the last book on the shelf and turned to her, the wheels in his mind turning as he tried to formulate his thoughts. "It...is rather odd," he said carefully. "But," his lips turned into a smile, "However brilliant you are at languages, you are still quite terrible at math."

Asuka blinked as his words sunk in. He was teasing her, and it produced a choked chuckle from her throat. "Yeah, that's true. I'm not some all-knowing being, whatever I am."

Kurama gestured to her and they both walked back to the table and sat down. He resumed looking over her test, scanning the answers and nodding.

"Your view of history is a little off from what's in the books."

Asuka absently played with a loose strand of her hair. "I noticed some of the correct answers were missing."

His eyes danced. "It's because like everything, history alters with the course of time. You'd only know the truth is if you knew it personally, like you were around when it happened."

Her heart began to pound.

"Since meeting you, I've had the feeling you are much older than you appear, Asuka. I assume you've felt that way too?"

She nodded, too stunned to say anything.

He briefly looked down at her answers again. "This, and your knowledge of languages confirms it. Originally, I dismissed the idea you were from the Makai, but perhaps it is a theory we should go back to."

Asuka furrowed her eyebrows. "But, I don't have Yoki. How would it be possible for me to be from the Makai?"

"Well," Kurama said threading his fingers, "Humans can change their ki. It's rare, but it's happened, as you saw with Toguro. Though I haven't heard of a yokai changing their ki, it would be illogical to dismiss the idea. You said you were on the run. If you forced yourself to change your ki, it could've had unforeseeable consequences like blacking out or creating a ki no one has seen before."

Something about what Kurama said resonated within her. "That makes sense," Asuka said slowly.

Kurama nodded. "Perhaps you left the Makai a long time ago and have traveled since. Maybe whoever you were running from caught up with you, and that's why you took action. Yokai are...known for holding grudges."

There was a brief moment of silence before Asuka started twitching her fingers. She certainly didn't feel like a Yokai, but then again, her ki was different so why would she?

"Let's get to studying," Kurama said changing the subject. "You still have an exam to pass and are quite terrible at the last two subjects. Let's start with math."

Asuka grimaced, then gestured for him to sit next to her. After he adjusted his chair, she turned towards her friend.

"Thank you," she said sincerely, wanting to say more.

Thank you Kurama for not getting suspicious of me with this...new information.

His face softened, and he pushed his hair back. His eyes met hers, and she realized he understood what she wanted to say but couldn't.

"First, we'll start with some of the basics from pre-algebra."

The next six hours consisted of Kurama tutoring Asuka, having her do math exercises, explaining again what she didn't understand, and correcting her work. Her head spun, and exhaustion crept over her. Kurama must've noticed because in the middle of a problem he suddenly stopped, glanced at her, then closed the book.

"I think we should be done for day," he said with a soft smile.

"Sorry, Kurama."

"No need to apologize," he continued in the same tone. "You've been working hard, and everyone has a limit as to how much information they absorb."

Asuka stood up and began to gather her notebooks. It was nearly dinner time, and her stomach growled in response. "What time do you need to be home for dinner?"

Kurama slung his bag over his shoulder and gestured to Asuka that he was ready to exit. "I told my mother I would be out until later, so my evening schedule is not set. Would you like to have dinner before we go to the garden store? We did skip lunch, after all."

"I saw a curry place while we were walking," she replied. "Their set menu prices looked reasonable."

"Sounds good." They exited the library to walk back to her apartment. Asuka used the opportunity to sort through her over exerted mind.

If I'm as old as Kurama says, and have lived on earth for a long time, it would explain this feeling that before waking up, I was so very alone.

Bonds of friendship were rare in the Makai, and if she moved around, there would have been little time for her to make friends.

At least now, she thought glancing over at Kurama, I have friends. And not just one.

They arrived at the restaurant and sat down at the counter. The interior looked like it had been last updated in the 1970s, with real wooden beams mixed in with a dark grain paneling. It had a homey, well-loved quality that seemed to perfectly accent the aroma's coming out of the kitchen. To the left were a couple shelves with anime figures on them next to a large menu describing the different menu sets.

"Good evening," the man behind the counter said while bowing. "Do you know what you'd like?"

"Tonkatsu curry for me please," Asuka said.

"I'll have the same," Kurama added.

The man nodded and briefly stroked his long grey beard. "And to drink?"

Asuka ordered a water, while Kurama decided on tea. After the man left, Kurama turned so his body would be partly facing her.

"I noticed you didn't have a piano keyboard in your apartment. Are you planning on purchasing one?"

Asuka thanked the man behind the counter when he gave her the glass of water and sipped it before answering, "I'm...not sure, honestly. I do need to practice my piece for my audition, but I was hoping to find a real piano to use. Nice keyboards are expensive, and cheap ones are difficult to use."

Kurama's gaze was thoughtful. "I see. There are pianos at school you can use after you become a student, but that does not help you now. I assume you are picking something difficult?"

"A lot more difficult than what I have been playing. I...remember this piece, but in order to make it shine I'll need to give it more finesse, and that takes practice."

"I look forward to hearing it."

Her heart stopped. "Are you planning on coming? To my audition?"

He gave her a soft smile before acknowledging the plate of curry the man behind the counter placed in front of him. "I was planning on coming for the day, if that is okay with you, of course."

Asuka graciously took her plate of curry and bit her lip. "If, If you're not too busy. I was not planning on anyone coming with me."

"I know," Kurama said spooning the curry into the rice. "But no one really wants to be alone while they take their entrance exams."

"That's true."

The dark brown, somewhat chunky curry was a sharp contrast to the white rice on the plate next to it. Asuka decided to take a spoonful of rice and curry and put it in her mouth. The flavors burst, and she had to stifle a groan. It was savory, with just a pinch of sweet and unlike any curry from mainland Asia. It was so good Asuka quickly scooped another bite, this time with a slice of her pork Tonkatsu. Its crunchy, tender texture perfectly suited the curry, and she chewed slowly, trying to savor every bite.

"Good?" Kurama asked with an amused look.

Asuka swallowed. "So good."

Their conversation continued with Kurama describing what school was like. From what he said, Asuka surmised he had the highest marks in not only their grade, but the entire school.

"Is it strange to attend school?" Asuka asked.

Kurama turned and looked at his plate. He spooned some curry and swirled it. "Truthfully, I find it rather odd. Our classmates are immature, and oftentimes I find myself... tired of the image they've projected onto me. I have to bear that image without complaint however. I don't have the luxury of revealing who I truly am."

Asuka felt for him. Even his mother, the person he loved most, didn't know who he really was. She watched the wheels turn in his mind, and she kept silent to see if he'd say more.

"Friendship is a luxury I don't often indulge in," he said after a period of silence. "It's gotten me intro trouble in the past."

From his tone, Asuka surmised something awful must've happened, but she didn't want to pry.

Kurama looked at her. "Those associated with the Detective Squad know my true identity, but out of those, Kuwabara, Hiei, Yusuke, and now you, know me best."

Asuka's heart began to thrum. If she had to pick someone who knew her best, it would be Kurama, memories or not. They hadn't known each other for very long, but it felt like they did. She never expected him to be this honest, and it made her feel light.

"But I'm still not used to people knowing me, Asuka," he continued. "And I'm afraid that clouded my judgement when you came to us. I apologize for that, and for hurting you."

He looked straight at her, but Asuka knew he felt vulnerable. He'd already apologized for the cuts he'd given her, and Asuka had already forgotten about them. And how long had he been wanting to apologize for being suspicious?

"It's alright, Kurama," she said. "Honestly, I don't blame you for your wariness. It's all so very weird."

"Have you pieced together anything else about your past?" The look on his face was different from other times he'd asked the question. Now he wanted to know, as a friend.

Asuka closed her eyes and tilted her head upward. "The only thing I know for certain, Kurama, is that I was extremely lonely for a long time. Maybe even isolated. I think my life was pretty terrible before waking up on that island." She opened her eyes and looked at him. "I feel very strongly that right now, here in Tokyo, I have a chance to start fresh. And I'm going to make the most of that chance."

His expression softened.

More than ever, Asuka needed to get into Meiou. She wasn't going to leave her friend alone in a place where no one knew his true name.

Once they finished their meal, Kurama and Asuka walked over to the garden store, where Asuka watched with fascination while Kurama scrutinized every tool, pot and soil until he picked what he wanted, and paid, insisting it was a housewarming gift. When they arrived at her apartment door, Asuka noticed Kurama turned away courteously while she punched in her door code.

"I don't mind if you know, Kurama. I gave it to Shizuru as well. The code is 1850."

He nodded appreciatively as the lock disengaged and they both stepped inside. Kurama took off his shoes then carried the bag of supplies into her apartment. He put the soil into a pot and turned to her with his typical gentle expression.

"What's your favorite flower?"

Asuka shifted her eyes as she tried to think. "I'm not sure, honestly. Will you pick something for me?"

Kurama regarded her for a moment. "We'll have to remedy that at some point. For now, I have an idea." He reached behind him and pulled two seeds out of his hair. He placed one in the soil of the larger pot, tenderly moving the dirt over the seed before stretching his hand over it. He closed his eyes, and Asuka could hear a creaking sound as twisted wood began to grow up from the earth. It got larger, until it sprouted green leaves and red roses, practically the same color as his hair.

When he finished, Asuka leaned forward and breathed the scent in. The rose smelled familiar, and she realized it was the smell she associated with Kurama himself. A smile pursed her lips and she stood upright.

"Thank you, it's beautiful."

He nodded and looked down at his handiwork. "This one can go outside where it'll need plenty of sunshine. If it doesn't rain, be sure to water it."

Kurama turned his attention to the second pot, where he placed the seed and covered it with dirt. He looked thoughtful.

"Give me your hand?" he asked softly.

Asuka complied, and Kurama took it, guiding her palm to hover above the pot. He placed his hand above hers.

"As soon as you feel my ki, begin to channel yours," he instructed.

A familiar warmth tingled on the top of Asuka's hand, and her mind immediately flew to the familiar image of a rose garden on top of a hill at sunset. She shook her head, then began to channel her ki. A sound emulated from the pot: the sound of wood creaking and life bursting. With fascination, Asuka watched another small bush poke its way out of the pot, sprouting leaves and purple flowers, their colors deep on the brink of twilight.

"This is the purple princess," Kurama said fondly. "It's a tropical flower that only grows on certain islands in the pacific. Normally, it needs bright sun and a warm, moist climate to survive. But this one is special. I've modified its genetics to feed off ki, and since you helped grow it, you are now its sun, Asuka."

She resisted the temptation to gape, instead leaning over and breathing in the aroma that wafted off the plant. "That's...amazing, Kurama. Truly, I feel speechless. Do I channel my ki to feed it? How often should I do that?"

He smiled. "Unnecessary. The plant feeds off you being in the room, and since you sleep so close, its more than enough. If you're going to be out of town for awhile, give it a dose of your ki before and after your trip. Water it every few days, and maybe buy a spray bottle. It will appreciate being bathed."

Asuka stared at the flowers.

I think I understand just a little more how Kurama feels about plants. Since I helped this plant grow with my ki, my very essence, I feel more attached to it. It depends on me in a way that's different than other plants.

Kurama was giving her an amused look, and she pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear in response.

"Well," Asuka said finding her voice, "Are you available to study tomorrow? If not, that's okay. I don't want to take up your weekend."

"I've already blocked off this weekend and next, barring some kind of crisis where Yusuke needs my assistance."

"I'll meet you at the library then. Is nine too early?"

"That's a good time for me."

"Sounds good," she confirmed. Asuka lead the way to the door and opened it. "Thank you Kurama. I appreciate everything you did for me today, and then some."

He smiled softly and his emerald eyes dazzled. It knocked the breath out of Asuka's lungs for a split moment. She never understood how a man could be so beautiful.

"Good night, Asuka."

"Good night, Kurama."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 886 82
"You know. . . Despite our differences, we both have the same flame inside of us. " I told him with honesty as I turned away, looking up at the beaut...
2.2K 29 22
Bad but smart, popular, and hot girl x Nice, gentle, popular and smart, and hot boy. How will this relationship fair? Carine joins Team Urameshi. A...
16.2K 736 32
"Oh, is that how it is?" The demon growled. "Maybe I underestimated you," "Underestimating me was your first mistake," Sakura summoned her energy wit...
132K 3.9K 32
Anim, A boy that came along as a two package deal with Yui Komori to a mansion that has some THIRSTY (literally) vampire brothers. Will the boy sur...