The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Nine: What's Proper?
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor

329 45 16
By SueHart2

After hours of riding with his father in the small confines of a carriage, Radley had a better understanding of his father. As he had spoken about his behavior, Radley compared what he said to Charlotte's understanding. The conclusion was clear. His father meant no harm. He'd only made mistakes. Mistakes just like everyone makes from time to time.

One thing he had learned, never rush into acting upon something without examining the consequences. Thankfully, he hadn't made a mistake with Charlotte. Her actions had pushed him until he wanted to challenge her into deciding what she wanted. She could have let him go. He'd been relieved that she hadn't. If he'd been aware of her sound wisdom, he would have changed his tactics.

A smile enlightened his face when he thought about how fortunate he was. At the moment, they ran into some hardships, but he also realized that his wife was strong enough to stand beside him. Many young brides would have created more problems instead of less.

Reginald leaned in the corner against the cushioned squabs watching Radley as he watched the landscape pass. Whatever he was thinking of put a series of emotions across his face. He'd looked: serious, worried, and then he'd shown a grin right before his eyes had warmed with love.

"May I inquire where your thoughts are?" Reginald asked.

A crooked grin came to his lips. "My wife. She is an amazing woman. At first, I recognized her tendency to make demands. Then I saw how she will jump to the defense of her family. Charlotte is a strong woman who will stand firm on her beliefs." He laughed as he shook his head. "That day we went to the park, she took off on my horse, and I had to go after her."

Instead of outrageous shock, Reginald laughed. "I see what you mean."

"She's smart too. I'm very fortunate that she chose me. I'd actually had the idea that I would be able to control her." His eyes rolled as he shook his head. "That woman is my equal and in all way a helpmate to me. She doesn't hesitate to give me advice. This entire event has shown me it is wise to share my thoughts with her." He looked square in his father's face and told him, "She made me realize that mistakes are as inevitable as opinions. There is usually something deep beneath the surface, and it's up to us to dig deeper before we respond to it."

"You are speaking in riddles, but I assume it dealt with my actions?"

"She knew you had acted upon fear. I didn't look beneath the surface. To me, it was wrong. Vivian and Ben love each other, and you tried to manipulate them. After Charlotte explained what she saw, I understood. That's why I say she is my helpmate."

His father blinked back his emotions, saying, "You have married well. Your mother did the same for me. You're very fortunate."

They crossed through the gates into Maywood, and they both looked through the small carriage window. The front door to the house was open. It concerned him until he saw someone close it.

As soon as the horses were pulled to a stop in front, they alighted and hurried inside. Radley shouted so the men guarding Talbot would know he was back. His footman, wearing his own clothes, came towards him, stopped, and bowed.

"Milord, you have arrived earlier than we expected. The items stolen from this house are being returned by your tenants. Though, they are not aware of where things belong."

Radley stepped to the room near him, the ladies parlor, and looked inside. Items had been carried inside and set next to the wall. Nothing matched, but he was pleased to see the furniture. "Have they gone to collect more of my things?"

"Aye, they have." He glanced back over his shoulder towards the basement door. "I am guarding the prisoner while they work."

Radley noticed the gun stuck in the waist of his pants. "Has there been a problem?"

"Nay, we have taken care of his needs. Perhaps you would like to see the way Hastings tied him? It was very clever." He stepped back and gave a motion with his arm for them to proceed.

Reginald and Radley did so and took the stairs down to the basement. Instead of being held in the small storage room, he had been moved to the main room. A thick rope was tied to a ceiling beam, and the opposite end wrapped around Talbot's chest and knotted behind his back. The position made it impossible to untie. If he had a way to cut it, such could be accomplished. However, the space around him had been cleared of all items except a pallet from horse blankets and a bedpan.

"We slide food to him in a metal bowl, and if he wants to eat again, he slides it back," Steven explained.

"How did you get him to cooperate?" Radley asked.

"Lewis knocked him out with ether. Bogsley had it. He uses it on the animals when he needs to doctor them," Steven said with a grin. "By the by, we had no trouble with anyone comin' to that house. Not a peep."

"That's good." Talbot had stared at them ever since they had walked into the basement. "Do you have anything to say? A barrister will be here in a day or so to take you to London. So any hopes you had of the local magistrate helping you escape won't be happening. He is likely to join you." He stepped to a chalk-line on the floor he assumed was drawn to judge the distance, like bars on a cage. "Other than Lord Milton, who did you sell my things to? Tell me, and it can bring your prison sentence down, if I get it back."

"I told you before; the silverware went to the magistrate."

Reginald shook his head. "That will not help you."

Radley saw that Talbot was curious about who the man was. "This is my father, the Marquess of Croxley." Talbot's eyes grew wide with worry when he heard the title. "As you know, his say in this can likely do you a lot of damage in the court."

His father spoke up, saying, "Cooperate, and I will see that you are given better treatment while in prison. If you don't, you will be held in a cell with straw as your bed while you share the space with other prisoners. They are fed slop once a day, and I promise, it will be nothing you are accustomed to eating." When Talbot didn't speak, Reginald shrugged. "So be it. You will not live for long in that pigsty, which is just compensation for your thievery."

"I've heard a guard has to be bribed to see to a prisoner's well-being," Radley said. "I'm not willing to spend money on the person who robbed me."

"It is possible to send him to an island in the south pacific as an indentured servant. He will work off what he owes you. The conditions are better for him as well. At least he will see sunlight." Reginald clasped his hand over Radley's shoulder and squeezed. "There is also the option of him being sent to Botany Bay in Australia to work off his debt. It is a penal colony. But for that, he has to return everything. It would give him a new life, and that, he needs to earn."

Radley was impressed with his father to bring up options. Talbot looked as if he was now considering telling all. "While he compares his options, let us see what we can find to eat. I'm sure Lewis and Annie stocked the kitchen with something. Too many men have been here helping."

They turned and headed for the stairs and heard Talbot ask, "What are the conditions at Botany Bay?"

Reginald turned to say, "There is housing, food, and work. With your skills as a bookkeeper, you will be able to pay off your debt. Steal again, and you'll be hung. Punishment is stiff there. But the climate is good. After you have completed your sentencing, and earn enough money to pay your passage home, you can return."

Talbot nodded his head. "I will tell you everything."

The staff, Ben had sent with Radley, was in the kitchen cleaning dirty dishes. It appeared the men had eaten but left the mess. The rich aroma of rabbit stew simmering had Radley stepping to the stove. He raised the lid and smiled.

"We are in luck. Annie has provided us with a good meal." He lifted a cloth and found bread. "It's good to see we have dishes. I'll serve."

A middle-aged maid with dark brown hair and a white cap on her head turned around with a gasp. "Milord, please, allow me to serve you. The breakfast room has a table with chairs. If ye will take a seat in there, I will bring your food."

Reginald smiled, "You are the assistant cook for my son, are you not?"

She dipped a knee in a curtsey. "Aye, Milord. I am honored that he allowed me to come and help."

"We are pleased to have you."

"Thank you... Beth, isn't it?" Radley asked.

She curtsied and nodded. "Aye, your Lordship."

"Take your time, Beth. I wish to take a look and see what has been recovered." He told his father, "I am amazed at what they have accomplished.

Radley and Reginald took a tour through the house. Most of the furniture for the parlors had been recovered. The furnishings for his office, the dining room, and the library had been filled. From what he could tell, not much was missing. Talbot hadn't taken the books. It would have taken days to remove them.

Before they headed upstairs, the maid found them to announce their food was ready. They entered the room, and he noticed the server hadn't arrived. The table and mixed chairs from various places in the house gave a seat to all those working for him.

Radley took a seat in a chair that belonged in the entry. "My wife may need to buy new chairs."

"You told me that Hastings repairs furniture. Perhaps he could build you some new chairs. It would be better than buying them in London and delivering them here. After all, these chairs work for now. You have no plans to stay for long since you mentioned seeing to your new home in London," Reginald said.

"True. Later, Charlotte may wish to make changes here. Needless to say, some items need to be replaced." He was quiet as he ate, then told his father, "I am eager to see Dalton come and take charge of Talbot and my neighbor. But I wish to see if he still has my horses or if he had them at all."

He nodded. "I wouldn't mind taking my horse for a ride before dusk or perhaps before sunrise."

"That's a fine idea," Radley said eagerly.

I hope you could visually take in the scenes. Because of his relationship with his father, it was necessary to show how they hurdled their problems. In fact, they crossed past their differences until they became comfortable and made plans to get those horses. (Next chapter.)

Hope it was entertaining for you, learned something about the prison sentencing of that day. It wasn't long after this period that prisoners stopped being sent to Australia. But how they could work and pay their way back to England was interesting to me.

I'm looking forward to the scene of grabbing that crooked magistrate. We have crooked law enforcement today. They actually handled it in a similar manner back then when it was proven.

Let me know what you think and tell me if it's boring. Sometimes, I tend to find historical things like this fascinating.

Please remember to vote. I like knowing you are interested.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.1K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
723K 27.9K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
196K 6.3K 52
As much as Kimberly Astor hated to admit it, she had a slight problem. Okay, so it was theoretically a major problem, but it wasn't entirely her faul...
Chasing Charlotte By Em

Historical Fiction

344K 14.3K 19
Charlotte Cecil was always a beauty, elegant and refined in disposition. However, the moment she opens her mouth, all propriety of a lady is thrown o...