The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Nine: What's Proper?
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth

368 50 14
By SueHart2

The day was filled with questions as well as suggestions. Then Radley's father asked to join him on his trip back to Maywood in hopes of being of some help.

Such a request, even though his father had apologized, annoyed him. Because it did, he had to examine why he would hold such grudges. Parents often gave orders without explanation. The child was expected to listen and obey in respect to the elder who was expected to be wiser.

Nevertheless, at his age, Radley found his father to be irrational, but one look at the coaxing eyes from Charlotte, and he agreed. "We will need to borrow riding horses since mine were stolen."

"Son, with only the hope of finding anyone here, I rode my steed."

Radley was impressed he accepted the chance that he would find resistance from Vivian as well. "Then I shall ask Ben to supply me with one. As you know, this is your coach."

"I noticed," he said without showing further thoughts. "We shall need it to go to Kensingdale. "I believe Michael and Owen will take Ruth home in their carriage?"

"We didn't discuss it. But your town carriage is still there as is Ben's. They will use what is necessary."

Before they spoke of the discord between them, Alfred announced dinner.

* * *

By the next morning, Ben told Radley and Reginald that he would send word as soon as he heard from Dalton. Radley admitted he had hopes that he would come today. Though, his real concern involved leaving Charlotte behind. She stood outside waiting for him wearing a pretty blue dress. Her dark, silky locks had been tied behind her nape with a ribbon. He knew she was valiantly trying to hide her melancholy at his departure. He had equal despair, yet he was pleased she showed such sentiment.

He held both her hands to say goodbye. He knew his father waited in the coach with his horse tied in back, as well as a horse Ben loaned him.

"I wish I could take you with me, my sweet. You have given me strength during these trying events and it is far from over."

She rose on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "It is not the thief that worries you. I believe you fear what you might say to your father during this trip. He apologized and sometimes, that is all we can do. I realize you wish to be seen as the man you are, yet he still treats you as a boy at times. Once we have children, you will see things with better understanding." She rubbed her thumb against the top of his hand.

"Radley, your reaction to his past rebuke concerning the big safe, makes me wonder why is it so important to you. Did you see it as belittlement?" His stern countenance was enough to tell her it was. "Perhaps you should consider your perception of him. I believe your father is a good honest man." She watched Radley look away. He did agree with her statement.

"As an unselfish man who loves his children, it would be important to him to try and give all of you the best advice he can. To do that, he draws on what he has learned in life. Most people have opinions concerning things. Allow him to have his. One day, you will guide your son on what you believe is good advice, yet it may not be. We are human, Radley."

Radley took a deep breath as he played with her fingers, then he finally looked into her eyes. "You believe I have been too harsh?"

"I am not judging you, husband, I am offering you another insight to truth. You forgave me for my behavior and the mistakes I've made. You loved me enough to want me. Love him enough to open your heart towards him. He did not wish you ill will. Try and see his concern and desire to want to help. There are many fathers among the elite who shun any involvement with their offspring. Consider that."

He tugged on a lock of her hair, saying, "For a woman who was confused and angry just days ago at all the rules you were taught, how'd you become so wise?"

"I was confused about the rules that told me what was considered correct. Yet after you admonished me and gave me your view of things, I saw how expectations of things sometimes fail reality. When life presses us to consider our self-made desires, we can either cling to them and lose what we have, or shove them aside and accept what is offered. My parents are far from perfect, but they do the best that they can. We may want to believe we would never make a mistake as he did, but it can happen."

She saw his eyes grow distant and squeezed his hands. "Radley, most people like to think they are above such things, but life often influences us. For example: if we have been hurt by a friend, and then hear a bad rumor about them, we may be influenced to believe it. The fact is, without proof, it could be a lie.

"There could be many reasons, such as the person who made such a claim could have misunderstood. Yet, the past can direct our behavior. An innocent person can be treated unjustly just by a misunderstanding or even an attitude. Does that make it right? Without learning the truth it is impossible to know if your judgment is just. Anything less is unworthy.

"Misjudgment can close doors that will be almost impossible to open again." She looked across the yard at the coach. His father patiently waited for him. "It is easy to hold a grudge. Ask yourself this: Should a grudge, which could be unfounded, be allowed to kill love or destroy relationships?"

He rubbed the top of her arms and shook his head. "What I see is that I had taken his opinion as an insult. The offer of help he gave was interpreted as a lack of respect. However, when he asked me to kidnap my sister away from the man he had given her to—well, that still angers me. I understand he had panicked. But it doesn't change the fact it was wrong. It also backfired in his face."

She released his hands and draped her arms around his neck. "Yes, and you saw to protecting your sister by teaching Ben about those lambskins. You found a compromise. That makes me very proud of you."

He muttered, "I have no desire to build a wall between me and my father."

She ran her fingers through his hair at the nape of his neck as she said, "When we pretend problems don't exist, and it does, this too builds walls. In fact, each time we try to talk about it, and we are not given a voice, a wall grows higher until we stop trying to find a way over it. Resentment builds until all hope vanishes and we learn to live without the other person."

"How do you know this?" he asked with surprise.

"That wall had begun to grow between our fathers. I heard Ben speak of being closed off from Vivian as if he was unwanted. Your father had his reasons, but my father disagreed with him. This almost ruined their friendship. Ben understood but didn't like what he was recently told. Your father hurt him too, but he found forgiveness because he is important to Vivian. Sometimes, innocent things are taken the wrong way. Many things can do this, but you are smart enough to consider them for what they are. Mistakes."

The sound of carriage wheels rolling across the brick driveway told him it was time to leave. "Charlotte, you have given me sound advice. I will give it much consideration." He turned towards the carriages. "One of those men will carry our letters. I will write tonight and send you one tomorrow. Before reparations are completed here, I fear we will have a need to return to London." Just before they reached his father, he pulled her close and kissed her goodbye. "I will miss you. Don't get into trouble."

"I promise to behave. Please be careful with those you are dealing with. It could be dangerous." She squeezed her hankie as she fought down her emotions at watching him open the door to make his departure. "I love you."

Instead of climbing inside, he turned back to her, and once again pulled her into his arms to kiss her soundly. "I love you too, wife." He winked and climbed inside with his father. They waved goodbye as the driver snapped the reins.

Vivian had waited until they had gone before stepping beside Charlotte. "As a bride, I understand your sadness, but with his argument with Father, this will help them talk over their disagreements." She looped her arm through Charlotte's, and they walked towards the door.

"We need to make a list of goods you will need to stay there. I can supply you with some items because Ben and I will join you there. A shopping trip will distract your melancholy."

"Do you realize that we have not been separated a single day since he came to speak to Ben? Now that we are married, the separation comes and all because of a thief. I would like to see Radley punish Talbot for interrupting our wedding trip."

"Perhaps, he would enjoy such sport. He hasn't been to Jackson's Boxing Establishment in quite some time."

The girls stared at each other as they began to giggle.

I have learned life's lesson the hard way and it sometimes becomes an obstacle too hard to climb. Pain has a way of making us shy away from taking much more. Death is the kissing cousin to the walls I have had Charlotte speak of. We, as humans, all go through hardships. We all fumble with mistakes, but sometimes, it's sad how one will cling to a misunderstanding. I've learned this in my life too. It is something many of us struggle with within our families. I wanted Radley, who is young yet, to learn this as well. Often, women with all their sensitive 'feelings' see things quickly.

Anyway, I hope you can relate and found something good out of this.

Thanks again for reading. I hope to have the next chapter up more quickly than a week. Everyone stay well and please, remember to vote.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.7K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
5.2M 162K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
32.7K 1.7K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
145K 8K 69
| 18+| Sequel to 'The Prince's Choice'| Newly crowned king and queen, William and Jade stand at the brink of war. Their union has enraged William's m...