Stop That Hacker! (2020)

By KatherineYork7

The Devil's den; a notorious hangout for high school seniors, computer geniuses and competitive gamers. And a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
FAMILY LAW
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Checking point
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
UPDATE
Update 2
Paperback version

Chapter 27

52.7K 2.5K 817
By KatherineYork7

 Lucy's p.o.v

I dropped her off home and then sped through the streets to get home as fast as possible.

Once I got there I ran to the gaming room. Ace and the other guys working for me were gathered there and arguing.

"Lucy. Finally! They are still at it." Ace said and pulled out a chair for me. I sat down and grabbed the keyboard.

I ran some tests to see how they cracked through my firewall. "This is basic stuff with an old school technique. That's how they got in." I cracked my fingers and shut them down immediately.

Once my walls were back up and I scanned for viruses and other bugs I shut down the whole system.

I turned towards the rest of the guys. "What did they target?"

"They mostly went after our work data. I think they are trying to get ahead of us. Maybe steal some of our work data. They didn't manage to get anything, but they were circling around trying to break in." One of them answered.

Ace leaned over the desk. "Listen I think it's time we make that plan now. If they continue to do this our business will suffer. Companies will start digging in and if they found out they are dealing with teenagers they might not want to collaborate."

It was true. The company we were working with now had faith in what I was doing, but others might judge before trusting me to do the job right. And that would be a lower number of clients.

"Okay, let's make that plan. I'm tired of these assholes going after my business."

No one moved.

"What?" I asked, confused. They all stared at me.

"We um...thought you'd be angrier." One guy answered.

Of course.

"Well I'm in a good mood." I answered.

"Okaaaaay." Ace pulled me up and pushed me into the other room. "You guys go home, we'll figure this out."

I glanced at Ace. What was his problem?

"Try being more nice to the guys. They do work for you." Ace told me as he sat me down. "Here is what I propose. We split your work.."

I opened my mouth to argue but he cut me off.

"I know i know. But you have to trust me. I won't let you down. I need to learn and what better practice than to work with what I already am familiar with. I will take on the gamers. They are already overwhelmed by all the new games we give them to try out and we took on too many companies. I need to be able to organize the guys based on their skills and potential. Also I need access to your codes so we don't have to rush you like this on your day off to stop a hacker attack. I can help with this. You can focus on developing your app and all the other things you do."

I rubbed my forehead. That would make things a lot easier but to trust him...

I gave it a thought. He was Francy's brother after all maybe...he does a really good job as well...

"Do you want a raise?" I asked him.

He titled his head thinking. "Yes...but I'm willing to work for the same price until I give you results. If you think I do a good job with this, then as a sign of trust you can give me the raise. What do you say?"

I smiled. "That's a fair agreement." I put out my hand. "Done."

"So when do we get started?" Ace asked.

"Now."

Francy's p.o.v

One more swoosh. I wiggled my toes trying to relax as I brushed the last stroke on my nails. Perfect.

I sunk in my mattress and lifted my legs up staring at the nails. I waved them around hoping they would dry faster. I put out my hand and tapped on the bed until I found my phone.

A playlist of love songs started playing, making me stretch happily and grab a soft pillow. I grinned at the ceiling. Was it possible to be happy? Why did something like a simple date make me so happy?

I had many things that could make me happier...but ugh.. my heart was just bursting out with gushy mushy feelings and as much my brain wanted to overthink this..

does he like me?

I mean...this could end tomorrow

Nope..I must be dreaming

he doesn't really like me

and other things that flowed in my head on a daily basis but my heart was not having it.

It just felt too good to be depressed. It felt too nice to want to ruin it with reality. Why couldn't I take off the rose-colored glasses, I don't know but life was pink and I WAS LOVING IT.

There was some noise coming from outside my room, but I ignored it. There seemed to be a guest in the house, but I just assumed it's either mom and dad' friends or my brothers.

I hugged my pillow.

I was out of my mind completely.. I tossed and turn like crazy, but still watched out not to get nail polish on my bed,

"Hold me close and hold me fast

The magic spell you cast

This is la vie en rose..."

I sang to myself tilting my head left and right. I looked outside the window.

Outside it was pouring rain and there were lightning strikes in the sky. "Ah, what a beautiful day."

"When you kiss me, Heaven sighs

And though I close my eyes

I see la vie en rose"

Then suddenly..

"Il me dit des mots d'amour

Des mots de tous les jours

Et ça me fait quelque chose"

French? That must be....

"Granny!"

I jumped off the bed to hug her. "You're here! You didn't tell us you were coming. When did you get here?"

She patted my head. "Wait a bit with those questions ma poupée. I haven't gotten my medicine yet."

My mom walked in my room handing grandma a glass of champagne.

"Ah, now you can ask away." Grandma smiled, taking the glass and walking around my room.

"Join us in the living room Francy." Mom said and closed the door behind her.

"You changed your room. I can see details of a grown woman here and there." Grandma said looking around. "Ah what is this?" She took a look at my desk and frowned at the marble vase. "Marble..what is it with young people and marble. This is not a bathroom."

"I like it. It's clean and it's cool..It's very trendy grandma. " I added.

"Vintage is trendy. Marble should be.. how do you like to say... canceled."

I chuckled. "Any suggestions then? Maybe beige.."

"Beige?" She choked on the champagne.

I held my laugh. She is such a drama queen. "I need something to go with my room."

She grinned revealing that was her purpose all along. "You must come to my house. I'm having new things brought and have to sadly depart from my old belongings. You might find something you like."

"Vintage?" I asked.

"Of course. Modern and vintage." She said and walked over to my bed, sitting down. She tapped the mattress and I made my way to her.

She passed me the glass. "We won't tell your parents."

I smiled and took the glass taking a gulp. Ah delicious.

There was suddenly a spark in her eyes. "Oh you pierced your ears, let me see." She pushed my hair back to look at my new piercings. I had quite mixed feelings about getting them but seeing her reaction means they were not a faux pas.

"Beautiful." She tapped my cheek lightly and brought my hair back to the front. "Simply beautiful."

"Thank you grandma." I smiled.

Grandma and Grandpa were amazing. I loved both my grandparents from my father's side and my mom's but my mom's were just... a tad cooler.

Grandpa and she were still living glamorously like they were in their thirties at the top of their game. Parties, drinking, fashion and travels.

And we were spoiled by them to death.

"You have gotten prettier since I last saw you." Her brow rose up. "Who is the boy?"

"What?" My voice went higher than the Eiffel tower.

"Oh come on. Tell me." She leaned in. "Is he a doctor?"

"Granny I'm in high school." I laughed.

"I'm just teasing. But there is one isn't it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about grandma. A boy? Me. please. I'm focusing on school now."

She crossed her legs and leaned the glass on her knee. "I've smoked enough cigarettes and drank enough champagne offered by men darling. I've been in enough clubs where singers sang love songs that made grown women weep . I've read enough love letters from lovers from my past. I've given advice to many young people I've encountered on my travels. I've seen love in many forms young and innocent and deep and passionate. I'd rather you call me an old fart then consider me a fool who can't tell when someones in love."

I pressed my lips together. Like I said. Really extra drama queen. "Okay but you can't tell mom. Or my brothers."

"It's none of their business now anyways." She leaned in closer.

"He is tall and handsome. And so sweet. We have only been on three dates but we are going to have one tomorrow night." I said grabbing her hand. "Give me an advice grandma. How do I make sure he doesn't change his mind about liking me?

She sized me up and then sighed. "When do you feel that he doesn't like you? When you're with him or at home?"

"At home."

"A-ha." She nodded. "Well if the only time you feel like that is when you're not with him means it's just your pretty head talking you out of confidence. Not that he doesn't like you."

"I know that might be true grandma but please.." I gave her the saddest eye look she could get. She didn't flinch. "Oh come on..give me advice. you've had plenty of lovers still writing you letters unable to forget about you.."

She smirked. She was a sucker for flattery.

"Well I will give you a few tips, but I need a refill." She raised her glass and I grabbed it.

"I'm on it."

"Francyyy!" I heard mom yelling from the living room. Damn it.

"We are coming." I looked at grandma. I guess we'll have to talk later.

We joined everyone at the living room and I went to hug grandma.

"Grandpa, how are you." I gave him a tight hug. "I missed you. How was Amsterdam?"

"Liberating. Fun. You should go one day." He told me.

"Of course. I'll add that to my list."

"How long are you staying grandpa?" Ace handed him a glass of whiskey.

"We just stopped by. We will be on our way by tonight."

We all whined.

"But you'll come for my birthday?" Rehan asked with a sad smile.

"Of course." Grandma smiled.

"Always." Grandpa tapped his back. "I have a great present for you."

Grandpa was the only person who ever understood what the hell Rehan was doing. Or at least he was doing a pretty good job pretending he did.

"Something from Amsterdam?" He asked intrigued.

"You can only guess. I have something special planned for my youngest grandson."

Suddenly Kai ran down from the stairs carrying his huge chess box. He slammed it on the coffee table in front of grandpa. He had a scary look on his face.

"You and me grandpa. Now!"

Grandpa sighed. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned his sleeves, rolling them up.

"I'll let you play white this time." He smirked.

"No thank you. I will beat you without any holdbacks from your side. Go all out."

Kai was dead set on winning a chess game with grandpa, but in actuality Grandpa was unbeatable. And this happened every time he would visit. The boys fought over him.

"Grandma why don't you join me in the kitchen while I make a non-alcoholic cocktail for me." I asked hoping she would get the hint.

"Of course." Grandma smiled and followed me into the kitchen.

I grabbed a glass and started preparing the drink. Grandma went straight for the champagne bottle.

"You've all changed in this one month I haven't seen you." She said, taking a sip. "I expected Ace to at least stay the same as the oldest, but he is different now. He even seems cheerful. Did he get a more serious girlfriend?"

I shook my head. I knew exactly why he was happy. "He befriended this guy he really wanted to. Says he wants him to be his best friend but I don't particularly like who Ace hangs out with."

"But he seems more mature now. That friend might have a good influence on him."

"I don't think so..." I sighed. Maybe...but unless I meet Lucy and judge by myself I can't trust him.

"And Kai..." Grandma leaned on the counter and took a slice of orange I had left. "Has he made progress with..." she whispered. "Remi."

"No. He still can't say two words to her. At this point I don't think he will ever make any progress."

"Maybe he needs a bit of encouragement." Grandma glanced at the door and then whispered. " Put them in a non exit situation."

"We promised we won't because none of us want to face Kai's wrath." I waved my hand. " But despite it we all tried helping them in our own way. It's impossible." I smiled. "But speaking of helping. Your tips..."

She smiled. "Alight but...you must never use these tricks on men you don't like. They are too powerful. And you're too young so we can't predict the consequences of this."

I nodded intently.

"First you..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258 15 14
A forbidden love between a sister and her brother's best friend. Julia is a girl who lives in a dorm with many boys. They've been best friends since...
774K 16.1K 35
Bella has a simple life HAHAHA NOPE Bella's life is anything but simple. Well it used to be... before her mother died 10 years ago when she was only...
398K 9.6K 33
(Book One of 'An Idiot' series) Meet Haley Valdez. The Good Girl. She's a straight A honours student with a striking personality who knows how to bal...
247K 7.9K 40
***COMPLETED*** PREVIOUSLY TITLED: Babysitting the Bad boy. " Why are you here?" His cold voice asks sending a shiver down my spine. I peek at hi...