CHAPTER 59

Abdallah's POV

It was New Year's Eve and the city was sleepless. Fireworks erupted in the sky in just seconds of intervals and the blazing lights adorning every building lit up in a frenzy of colours that has likely made the streets of Amsterdam visible from space.

Since I was no fan of winter and the piercing cold of late December was getting relentless, I was reluctant to go out but Anastasia didn't take no for an answer and dragged me out of my apartment. I however, took the time to wrap myself in a woolen armour of gloves, a muffler, two sweaters, a jacket and a beanie over my hair and part of my forehead. Even though I've lived in the Netherlands for roughly five years, my melanin skin was not at all accustomed to such close to subzero degree temperatures.

Anastasia laughed at me and called me her teddy bear cause of how bloated I looked in all that clothing. She only had on a hoodie and a turtle neck sweater while I was dressed like I was heading to the North pole. When I refused to take off my jacket and lighten my clothing, she thought it absurd but I didn't mind even when she took a selfie with me while she pulled my cheeks. She was my girlfriend after all.

A few days ago, she travelled to the U.S for Christmas and spent it with her family, and just for me, she had gone through the trouble of coming back from Houston to Amsterdam so she could spend New Years with me. It was needless to say that I had an amazing woman in my life.

We had been together for all the five years I've been here and those years have been the best of my life. The first time we met, it was an instant attraction that we didn't waste any time into turning into a real and official relationship despite the obvious differing of our skin colours.

We studied together and then we started working together but there was no day that we got bored or tired of each other's company. Anastasia was American and I was Nigerian so we were both foreigners here and that might be one of the factors why we were quick to grow close.

But then an American obviously had certain privilages wherever they go in this world that another country's nationale won't have. So there were certain challanges that only I faced, and she remained blissfully oblivious of them but I wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't ever want anything to trouble her.

After the streak of successful cases we had this year alone, the blessings I've counted could surpass the blessings of all the years I've lived so far. And I felt like it was all because of her. That was how grateful I was for Anastasia so of course, my new year's resolution would revolve around her.

We had walked all the way from my apartment, through the mob of people crowding the streets, to the bridge where we stood and looked across the water. There was a giant tower with a bright screen on that displayed the few remaining minutes to the new year and it was what everyone was looking at, eager to start the countdown.

The little lake under us reflected all the lights around it and made it seem as if they were stars immersed in the water. It wasn't snowing but the weather was still freezing and I was thankful that I dressed snugly and didn't need Ana's request. If I had, I would have frozen like a popsicle by now, all thanks to my body's weird inability of retaining heat.

I stuffed my gloved hands into the pockets of my jacket and felt the velvet box inside. Satisfied that the ring was safely with me, I removed my hand and wound an arm around Ana's shoulder.

The loud music mixed with people's chatter as well as the cracking of exploding fireworks above us, created a festive ambience and the scent of tens of street foods was wafting pleasantly in the air. Other couples looked over the bridge too and I could see them throwing coins into the lake and making a wish. I'd done it multiple times with Anastasia and seeing how well things were going, it appears all our wishes had come true.