CHAPTER 15

Maryam's POV

Alhamdulillah, AN DAURA AUREN MARYAM DA YUSUFa bisa sadakin dubu hamsin. Allah Ya basu zaman lahiya Ya basu zuri'a dayyaba." Was all I heard before the voice note salim sent me was drowned by the yodeling and sounds of congratulations coming from the hundreds of women and girls outside.

OK, so it's officially on, this whole charade is official now. I Maryam, I am  officially a married woman, married to a person I don't love,a person I have no relationship with except a contract. Did I make a mistake? Was I wrong? In retrospect, this is definitely not one of my brightest ideas. Did I let Zainab talk me through this like she does everything else?? Ya Allah help me..

All these thoughts were going through my mind before the door was flung open with Mama and her entourage trailing behind her with their beaming faces, disrupting my musings.

Barka,barka,barka, they were saying to one another. Mama took me into her arms. "Allah Yayi miki albarka, Ya baki zaman lahiya. May Allah bless your home,may He give you every happiness there is, may you forever be protected, may this marriage be a mercy from Him for both of you in this world and the next". She said, still holding me, I didn't get to reply before one of Mama's sisters turned me towards herself and spraying me in a perfume from a beautiful bottle, I could detect the delicate scent of ylang ylang,sandalwood and I think orange blossom it smelled heavenly. The women all took turns in hugging and congratulating me with each one of them spraying me from the same bottle which smells positively devine. I think is from the fragrances Yusuf's stepmother and mother sent for my wankin amarya.

After 10mins Zainab walked in and Mama pulled her into a hug congratulating her too.  I was relieved after they left. At least I could stop smiling from ear to ear,my cheeks feel like they were going to drop.

" Oya, madam, get up and change,your groom will be here in a few for your photo op, you need to color coordinate for the shoot" Zainab commanded me and I sulkingly obeyed.

"So Mrs, now that you are a matan aure" are you going to have your nose stuck up in the air looking down at us lowly singles? Zainab said rummaging through my bridal trousseau.

"Yep, I'm now going to change friends and join the national bureau of  matan aure".  I quipped, throwing a pillow at her. "But seriously zozo, this feels surreal, I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. Watching from afar, some unknown girl that's supposed to be me getting married to her best friend's fiancé based on a contract. I feel like I am betraying everyone, I feel so rotten right now." I said, getting up to inspect the emerald green ball gown with gold embroidery she picked out for me.

Within 15 mins I was dressed up and decked like a fairy tale princes.

Apparently the ain daukin amarya came early. Its the Alhasan family tradition to pick the bride immediately after the nikah.

Everything is happening in a rush,I was taken to Baba's living room where he along with my other uncles gave me sermons on the importance of patience in marriage, how marriage is an act of worship. Through it all I was crying. I have always thought of myself as never cry on her wedding kind of girl but alas, I have been proven woefully wrong.