CHAPTER 13

Zainab's POV

I had managed little sleep the night before. My mother having successfully drained the little resoivoir I drew strength from whenever I'm reminded, and faced with the reality of having to hand over Yusuf to Maryam. Abdallah had contributed to that too as his visit had only increased my tension and worries.

I woke up with a massive migraine, hands roaming to my temples through out the time I was getting ready and even as I drove to Maryam's house.

I'd promised to be in Maryam's house by dawn but it was 12 noon by the time I found herself parked in their crowded house premises. I made a mental note to apologise to Maryam immediately I entered but not let her get the hint on how distraught I myself was. Because Maryam could instantly pick up when I was worried especially this kind of worry; a fight with mum and conversation with Abdallah that had made me cry myself to sleep the night before.

Upon stepping through the thresholds, I could feel that something was off and my doubt was confirmed when Abdallah breezed right past me, storming through the door as if he didn't me at all which by the look on his face, I knew he didn't for he was only seeing red.

I watched as Abdallah disappeared out the gates probably to his car before continuing to the interior of the house. A hum of silent greetings welcomed me as I walked past the previously bubbly and noisey aunties and I couldn't help but to be overtaken by fear. Was Maryam okay?

My steps grew faster and in no time, I was pushing through Maryam's room door and sitting beside her on the bed.

I didn't care that I interrupted Maryam's and her mother's conversation and had rushed to Maryam, envoloping her in a hug.

"Honey? What's wrong?" I whispered as Maryam hugged me tight and sobbed silently. I had never ever in my life seen Maryam in such a state, not even when her beloved grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer.

"Zainab." Anti Hajaru, Maryam's mother called to me and I suddenly remembered that I hadn't even greeted her.

I was about to greet her when she continued urgently but gently. "Your friend is being immature now, she's saying she no longer wants to get married. Convince her for me kinji? Tell her it's only natural to get cold feet so she shouldn't call off everything cause she's nervous. Remind her that she's mama's angel as well as brave little soldier and I will always always love her no matter how far life decides to distance us. Tell her that her father too loves her and I wonder how he's going to cope these coming days without her. He's probably going to keep on calling her name forgetting that she's not around." Anti Hajaru paused briefly and chuckled lightly but they were also tears in her eyes and a crack in her voice. "Tell her that Sajida and Sajjad see her as no less than a mother, and I fear how we're even going to tell them that she won't be living with us but with her husband after the wedding. Sajida will probably start World War 3" Anti chuckled again, her voice hoarser with tears and I could feel Maryam crying even harder against me too.

Anti Hajaru took a moment to compose herself, sniffing back the tears and caressing Maryam's hair that was still on my chest. With her gentle touch on her daughter's hair, she continued and I couldn't help the tears cascading down my eyes either.

"Tell her that Salim might be acting all tough and like he doesn't care but he will be most affected by her not being around. He picks fights with her and makes fun of her and they quarrel every day for baseless reasons but still, tell her that he loves her, he loves her so much like we all do... Maryam please never ever in your life feel like we all aren't there for you, like just cause you're going away with your husband means you're going away from our hearts. Maryam, Allah has never blessed me with a more wonderful gift than you and I thank Him every day for that and now I thank Him more because He has given you a husband that will love you and take care of you more than we could. Maryam you're the besr and most beautiful daughter I could ever ask for. Allah yayi miki albarka, ya kare ki daga sharrin shaytan da sharrin duniya da lahira, Allah yayi miki albarka. (may God bless you, may He protect you from the evils of the devil and that of the world and that of the hereafter)"