CHAPTER 58

I present to you the longest chapter in HBMH so far. With 10000+ words, this chapter is probably going to remain the longest in the whole book. But despite how long it is, I'm pleased to tell you guys that I think it's the most well written chapter so far. It is by far, my best work since I was able to write it the exact way it played out in my head. So though I think you might need to finish a box of tissues before you reach the end of it, this is my favorite chapter in the whole book, I hope you enjoy reading it just like I had enjoyed writing it!

Maryam's POV

There are such moments in life that'll forever be embedded in your memory. Moments that the passage of time can never fade away and moments that will always remain the highlights of your life. Moments that will flash before your eyes as if you've lived them just yesterday no matter how long it's been and moments so precious, that will paste a smile on your face no matter how grief stricken you are.

When I woke up and the first thing I saw was Yusuf's warmth radiating eyes looking down on me, I knew that this was one of those moments. "Yu-Yusuf?"

"Sweetheart," his tremulous voice uttered and it was enough to kick start my whole system.

I blinked away the numbing in my limbs that was making it hard for me to move and slowly, attempted to raise myself up, only to be stopped by Yusuf's gentle hands pushing me back to the bed.

"No, you need to rest." Yusuf cupped my cheek.

"I thought I would never see you again." A sob came out of nowhere, as I remembered vaguely the memory of Ibrahim chocking me.

He lowered himself to me and scooped me to his side in a tender hug, "Ssshhh, I'm here now,"

"Yusuf, I thought I would never see you again." I cried as I clung to him like he was my life. "I was so scared Yusuf."

"Ssshhh, I'm here now. It's all over, I'm right here with you sweetheart."

I closed my eyes and inhaled him, and that scent was enough to vanquish all the images that were hunting me. I couldn't recall what had happened or how long it had been but I was so terrified, I'd rather not recall it.

I was reluctant to let him go but Yusuf laid me back on the bed and remained sitting besides me. My head was still pulsating with a dull ache but the sight of him sitting right here with me, the feel of his touch was able to soothe all my pains and aches.

I smiled as I looked at him, repeating alhamdulillah as many times as I could under my breath. But Yusuf's eyes didn't reflect the same smile as mine, there was something behind them that I couldn't read and when he rested his hand on my stomach, I only felt more so.

"Why didn't you tell me?" his voice was deep with a grief that I didn't expect to be there after we'd just reunited.

"Tell you what?" I was confused at first and then the guilt that hit me made me remember what I'd done.

I had tried to run away from him. I would have done it and we'd really been divorced by now if all this didn't happen. So my words faltered, and my eyes became filled with shame as I stooped my head low, my chin resting on my neck.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I rubbed the hand he placed on my belly and I held it tight, "I'm sorry Yusuf, I was stupid, I was just afraid of Zainab, of what would happen to her. I'm sorry. I never should have tried to leave like that, then none of this would have happened. I'm sorry."

"I'm not talking about that." Yusuf said, and the way he was caressing my stomach drew my attention and made me know he was referring to it. "Why didn't you tell me about this?"