Wk 2 pt 1: Monty Hall problem

Week 2:

Part 1: (I'm not sure what this classifies as..shitpost maybe :P)

(Third person)

"So, which is it?" The green-clad man asks.

Techno growled from behind the screen. He had been forced to play this game, this sick game, in which he had to choose correctly. this one was harder than the rest.

His ruby eyes scan the arena, looking for details and clues that could help hum.

Dust rising, slight tinge of sand.

Nothing.

Red hot blaze, torches blaring like fireflies in his vision.

Dark blue up ahead, the arena exposed to the elements of the dusky nighttime. Stars shimmer like 

all the thoughts he has, shooting across his mind like a splatter of gold.

Grass crunches beneath his feet as he shifts in place, this heightened senses hearing the individual rasps of the blades rubbing against each other..

He feels the piercing gazes of his friends, all waiting with bated breath.

Then he looks in front of him. Three intricately carved oak doors, shining in the moonlight. And then this Dream wants him to pick one.

After being told that two contain certain death. And one contains something nice.

Techno, being uncharacteristically reckless, picks the first door.

Behind the mask, Dream smirks. He waves a hand, and the second door flies open. Surprise registers in Techno's eyes for a second, lingering, and he turns to the second door.

A raging whirlpool of flames illuminated the night, casting orange-red shadows as the flames flickered.

Techno narrows his eyes.

The man with the mask jumps down from his perch. "Now," he says, walking towards Techno. "Now that I've opened this one... Do you choose to switch? Or stay?"

This felt too real, Techno thought as he took a sip of water. His hands were shaking, his mind going at the speed of a tornado, his thoughts scattered by that whirling tornado, attacking everything within sight. Sure, this was an RP, but the stress of choosing...and in front of ... He looks at his stream count.. 170k people. What if he lost? What even was the prize?

Dream tuts. "Time is ticking, my friend." He paused, muted his mic and DM'ed Techno on Discord.

u ok?

Techno:yea, give me a sec tho, a bit shaky.

Dream:

ok

Techno breathes deeply, and takes another sip of water, the cold liquid sliding down his throat. He squeezes his hands into fists, leaves hem there for 5 seconds, and unclenches them.

Alright, he was good. He calmed his breath, and blinked, a memory coming up unbidden. Ok, so this is called the Monty Hall Problem. You have ..

"Three doors, and two result in a and thing, one results in a good thing," Techno mutters out loud. "The person opens the second door- it reveals something bad." He hummed. This seemed to fit this situation exactly.

He thought a bit more, and came to a decision. Techno called out to the man perched in the air. "I'll switch."

Dream laughs. "Are you sure about that?"

Techno frowned dangerously. "Out of my way, please." he pushed past the man to the third door.

He opens it, and sees a chest inside. With bated breath, Techno opens it. He finds a slip of paper and reads it out. "A ticket to Brighton? For 4?"

Techno hears clapping behind him. "Well done," cheers Dream. "You have managed to get yourself to Brighton with your friends." Upon seeing Techno's questioning look, he adds "Wilbur, Tommy and Philza."

Techno grins. "Thanks, Dream. you are a benevolent god."

Dream paused. "Also, how'd you manage to choose that?"

Techno smirks. "It's commonly known as the Monty Hall problem. It was taught to me in 7th grade. and that is that you always switch."

Dream shoos Techno out of the arena, and he's immediately assaulted by voices. All of them were on the same voice call, and they all heard everything.

Techno's thoughts scramble, his responses he'd prepared going flying. His mind goes blank, and he tries to respond. But small snippets of voice were getting to him, and he couldn't choose just one. His breath gets suck in his throat, and he yells for them to be quiet, that he's trying to give a speech.

Eventually, they do.

"Do any of you know the game called Russian Roulette?" He improvises. "It's a one in six chance." he pauses. "One in six chance that you end your life. However, it has high rewards. As they say, high risk, high rewards." He smirks. "I had a one in 3 chance. So, does that mean I," He runs a hand through his hair, "Technoblade, am better than all of them? Yes, yes it does." He bows, then gets out of the voice call.

(A.N I came up with that on the spot in like 30 seconds be proud of me)

And Techno gets out of that scene as soon as humanely possible. He ends the stream, and sighs. Techno pushes his chair back from his desk. A smile spreads across his face as it sets is. He can go see his basically family in person.

He gets out from his chair and if he screamed a bit, well that was nobodies business, was it?

He flops onto his bed, and starts dialing Phil's phone number.

Dream smiles under the mask. Actually, all of the doors held the same thing. A ticket to meet up with his family.

But Techno didn't need to know that.

(Ok, you've reached the end of the chapter- sorry for this one not really fitting in with the rest, but I needed to get this out of my brain- the next one will be mostly well. paranoia. Also, camera-eyed dogs. )