Chapter 17: Calm

---------------------------------------------------------

Dream didn't know how much time had passed. He just sat there staring at his mask as sobs and sniffles filled the room. It was only just him in the house, so he didn't care about the tears. He guessed George and Nick would be out for some time, so he didn't care about what a mess he'd look like from crying too much. He just wanted to let everything out. Then suddenly, he heard a voice.

"Dream?"

He froze as he heard someone on the door. Someone was home earlier than expected. Dream didn't answer as he tried to be quiet. He quickly tried to stop crying as he wiped his tears, but it wouldn't stop. To his surprise, the door to his room opened without warning. Panicking, he grabbed the mask and put it on sloppily.

"Dream?"

Dark-oak hair popped up from the door. Dream raised his head to look at the young man standing right there. It was George. But he could barely see his face against the hallway lights. Having no answer, George approached the blond man who was sitting on the bed. Dream quickly looked away from the brunet as he tried to think of excuses to say. Soft footsteps echoed in the silent and spacious room. Then it stopped at the foot of the bed.

"Hey." George's voice was soft, almost loving.

Dream didn't answer again. If he did, he would've combusted into a crying mess. He just stared ahead. George silently sighed as he internally cursed himself. The man was hurting because of him. They needed to talk. Soon, hazelnut eyes were staring right into Dream's mask. George was kneeling in front of Dream.

"Dream, are you okay?" The brunet's voice was soft and laced with genuine concern as he faced the blond man.

"I- uh... Y-yeah. I'm fine." Dream stuttered as he tried to hold in his sobs. He intended it to be less shaky, but his trembling voice betrayed him. One could tell that he was crying. But even if he did successfully hide it, George already knew he was crying. He had heard him crying.

"Dream... You don't have to lie. It's just me, George." George's angelic voice was enough to make Dream want to cry his lungs out. But he fought the feeling.

Dream tried to speak as he fought his tears, but nothing came out. The brunet's lip curved downwards a little as he watched the young man's tears drop into his lap. George raised his hand in an attempt to take off Dream's mask. The blond man quickly stopped him, holding his wrist.

"Please don't." Only a whisper came out from his mouth as tears rolled down to his chin then dropped to his lap.

George sighed as he retreated his hand in respect. Instead, he rested it on Dream's hand that was tightly closed on his lap. He took a moment to feel the taller man's rough hand as he rubbed his thumb on the other's knuckles. George lowered his head to think for a moment. He took a deep breath and looked back up to Dream. Yeah, he wanted to see Dream's face.

"Dream... I don't hate your face." George began. "I'm- I'm sorry I said those to you. I deeply regretted them. Please hear me out."

Dream remained silent as he could feel his chest tightening.

"I'm sorry I said that I hated your face." George continued. "Those words weren't for you. It was for me. I was so frustrated that I just wanted to blame someone. In truth, I hated myself. I hated how I missed the past you. I was so obsessed with finding for the past Clay that I ignored the Clay that was right here in front of me. I ignored you. I was unfair. I'm sorry I hurt you. You deserve better, Dream."

"No, George. I don't. I don't deserve better." Dream finally answered. His voice was raspy from crying. "I'm the problem here. I forgot about you and Nick. I forgot about us. I can only remember little things after the three of us started living together. I forgot about so many things that I ended up hurting you and Nick. I don't deserve anything, George. I am just so messed up!"