Chapter 9: Dream and Clay

---------------------------------------------------------

George stared at his room ceiling. The lights were off in his shadow-covered room. There was only the soft glow of the afternoon sun through his window. He was lying on the bed, thinking of the things he did on the stream.

After Dream went to check on him, Nick talked to George too. Nick tried to cheer the British boy up but to no avail. George wasn't listening at all. Nick noticed this, but he decided to give him some space. George was not in the right mindset at the moment.

George felt guilty. He shouldn't have ended the stream like that. He should've put more effort into acting as if everything was okay. George should've tried to control his feelings. He should've listened to Nick.

It wasn't Dream's fault that he forgot. It wasn't Dream's fault that they had that accident. And on the stream, Dream was just being himself. It wasn't Dream's fault at all.

George let out a heavy sigh as he curled into a ball on his side. A few months before, he was anxious about how to propose to the love of his life. Now, he was back to square one. And all that stress after the accident built up a little bit every day until it was too much. His head started to ache.

, , ,

George heard another knock on the Door. He was too lazy to get up again, so he didn't answer. George didn't say a word, hoping that the person on the other side would think he is asleep. A few seconds later, a voice called out.

"George, I'm going out one last time. I just thought that I should let you know." It was Dream.

One last time?

Then he heard footsteps walking away.

George wanted to get up and run to Dream, but for some reason, he couldn't. His body felt heavy.

Dream?

Dream was going out.

Is he going to take Nick with him?

After what happened, Dream was not able to get out of the house without a chaperone. He wasn't even allowed to drive. George might have been being overprotective, but after all of the pain he went through, it was understandable. He was traumatized.

But a part of George felt guilty. He can't treat Dream like that forever. Dream will be okay. Even without George, Dream will be okay.

He'll be okay, right? He'll come back home with that stupid smile on his face. He'll be standing there at the entrance as I welcome him back. He will be there to tease me for worrying about him too much. I'd get defensive, but then he would ruffle my hair. And he would joke around with Sapnap during dinner. And we would watch a movie together before we sleep. Dream will be okay, right?

So George decided to push all his worries down and closed his eyes once more. As he was drifting to sleep, another series of knocks interrupted him yet again. At this point, he was getting annoyed. George just wanted to escape from the world for a little while in his sleep. But before George could decide what to do, his bedroom door swung open.

"George!" Nick's voice reached George's ears. George sat up from his bed and looked at Nick. He was about to complain, but he saw the look of horror on Nick's face. Nick ran up to him in tears, gripping his shoulders. "C-Clay! It's Clay!"

Seeing Nick's frantic state, George became scared. His heart started racing. "Nick, what's-"

"CLAY! Clay got into an accident! He- He crashed his car and-" Nick was stuttering from the overwhelming feelings he was having. But then he dug his fingers into George's shoulders, too much for George's comfort. "He's going to die! Clay is going to die! And it's all because of you, George!"