𝟓𝟖. "𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞"

"I'm sorry. He what!?" I snapped and gripped my curls at the top of my head for the hundredth time.

"P-please, don't yell. If they hear your voice, they'll kill me. They're already jealous of how much time I spent with Jerome and you." Tom whispered with fear. I took a deep breath to cool down.

"Sorry, Tom. But what did you even dig up if he's sitting on the couch?"

"I-I'm not sure. I think it's a-a doll. I-I have no idea who buried it." He muttered. I chuckled dryly and rubbed my forehead.

"And where are you now?"

"He told us to take over the police station. I'm on my way there right now." He told me. My eyes nearly popped out of my head.

"Oh, God. I promised Gordon Jerome wouldn't cause trouble. Why did he do this to me?" I breathed and glanced at the back of Jerome's head.

"I-I have to go, Tom. Be careful." I pleaded, hung up the call and buried my head in my forearms on the counter.

"Grey?" Jerome spoke up right next to me.

"Why didn't you tell me you did this?" I sniffled and looked at him.

"Did what?"

"Jerome, I swear to God-"

"Grace, I don't know what Tom told you about. I just did one thing."

"What thing? What the hell did you do!?" I lashed out. He swallowed heavily.

"I, uh, I k-kinda sprayed Jeremiah with the laughing gas." He rasped nervously. I frowned with confusion.

"No, you didn't."

"Yeah, I did. I left it for him in his office."

"I saw Jeremiah. He's fine. You must've screwed up." I pulled my mouth in a straight line and shrugged. His eyebrows furrowed at my words.

"Why didn't you tell me you left instructions for your followers? Why would you even do that? That-"

"Our followers." He mumbled.

"Oh, right. Yeah. Whatever you say, Honeybear." I mocked him. His face was filled with utter sadness at that point.

"Answer the question, Jerome." I hissed.

"I-I didn't." He croaked out. I started giggling madly.

"Fine. Lie, you ass. I honestly don't care anymore."

"I'm not lying. You know when I'm lying. Just look into my eyes." He pleaded and gripped my hips. My instincts kicked in, and I flinched out of his hold.

"S-stop flinching when I touch you. I won't hurt you, Grace." He whined. I scoffed and pushed my curls back.

"Please, just let me make you breakfast. Let's watch something. I found board games. Scrabble. You love-"

"Get mad at me." I blurted out. His eyebrows creased.

"What? I-"

"I can't stand you being sweet right now. Get angry." I ordered and gently pushed his chest. He chuckled softly.

"Gorgeous, you-"

"Remember what I told Gordon about Bruce? I helped him escape back at the carnival. I pretended to want to hold your hand so that he could try and get away."

"I don't care, Grey." He sighed. My nose twitched with anger.

"I told you we were over if you didn't stop kicking Jeremiah." I reminded him. For a split second, his eyes filled with despair.