𝟕𝟏. "𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐬"

"Gotta call Oswald." I patted Jerome's leg and got up from the couch.

"What for?" He frowned with confusion.

I instantly burst out laughing. That puzzled him even more. I did my best to stop my amusement and cleared my throat.

"Maybe if you would stop trying to have sex with me for a second then you would finally register what I keep trying to tell you." I said with a grin. He immediately returned the smile.

"I'll try my best. Now tell me." He waved his hand.

"Well..." I began and took a deep breath.

"We have to pick a territory to live in. Like I already told you Barbara's is a no go. Unless m-"

"No." He growled furiously. I giggled.

"Kidding, Ginger." I grinned and headed to grab the phone.

"We obviously can't stay here. I don't even want to think of what Bag-head does in his zone. Oswald is our best bet." I picked up the mobile.

"I don't want to be anywhere near that beak-nosed drip." Jerome grumbled behind me. I chuckled.

"I know. But I want to feel safe and Penguin raided the armoury. Also, he has a lot of people protecting him. We'll be safest around him."

"Are you kidding me?" Jerome asked with sheer bafflement. I looked at him. He was frowning deeply. My eyebrows creased with confusion.

"What?" I asked. He scoffed.

"You should feel safe now because I'm here." He gestured to himself and stood up from the couch. I opened my mouth to reply, but he interrupted me.

"You're safest with me. Not with Oswald, or anyone else." He continued stepping towards me.

"He can have an army of people protecting him and you're still going to be safer than him because I'm with you."

He stopped right in front of me and cupped my face, forcing me to look at him. I swallowed heavily.

"I-"

I didn't even get to say one word before he shoved his lips on mine. I tossed the phone back on the counter, wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my fingers in his soft hair. After a few long seconds, I pulled away a bit.

"Of course I feel safe with you, Jerome. I only feel safe with you, actually." I left a tender kiss on his jaw. He smiled softly.

"I just meant that soon various puny gangs are going to be running amok on the streets, but I'm hoping not on Penguin's territory. I don't want to deal with gits. I much rather just spend time with you, like relatively sane people. Just like we used to, back at the circus." I smiled in reminiscence. He grinned widely and kissed my forehead.

"Oh!" I blurted out. Jerome's eyebrows creased.

"But if you ever need to blow off some steam by kicking some crook asses, I'll happily accompany you to the other territories. Preferably Bag-head's." I grinned and adjusted his tie. His smile returned immediately.

"You really are perfect." He declared. I could see genuine admiration flickering in his eyes. I giggled at it.

"Right back at ya, Ginger." I grinned and took a step back. He pouted deeply. I sighed with frustration, grabbed the phone and his hand.

"Gluant tache de rousseur." I said in French and pulled him to the couch.

"What's that mean?" He grouched, plopped himself on it and waved his hands to himself. I chuckled and sat on his lap. He immediately clutched my waist.