𝟏𝟑𝟐. "𝐖𝐚𝐲𝐧𝐞 𝐆𝐚𝐥𝐚"

The dress Bruce got me for the gala seemed to be the exact dress he would pick for himself if he were to ever wear one. It was utterly simple, black, strapless, it reached the floor, and it was skintight. I got used to wearing figure-hugging clothes by that point, so I didn't mind it.

Bruce was going to keep my costume in the Batmobile, which we could finally use since the night of the gala was also the night Gotham would learn about us. And so I slicked my curls back for the event in case I didn't get a chance to come back to the manor to take care of them.

I also had to put on makeup since the gala was a really fancy affair. I needed black paint to colour the skin around Bruce's eyes, and when he bought that, he also got a whole bunch of other cosmetics. So I gave myself a smoky eye look for the first time in my life and painted my lips dark red.

Bruce also gave me a black choker necklace covered in tiny diamonds. I insisted that he was crazy and that he shouldn't give me such things. But he was having none of it and almost choked me when he forced it on my neck. And then he called me a limousine.

Suddenly the car stopped. A few seconds went by, and the driver opened the door for me. I swallowed heavily, moved my flat dancing shoes onto the pavement and got out of the vehicle. Since I was going to the gala to make sure everything went smoothly, I had to wear shoes I could fight in.

And, like always, I had my staff with me. Which meant I had a clutch purse in my hand. It was black and covered in diamonds, just like my necklace. It was another thing Bruce bullied me into accepting from him. Then the rain started picking up, so I quickly entered the brand-new building.

***

I walked into the room full of rich folks and nearly started shaking due to my nerves. I was about to see Barbara, and after what happened with her last time, the thought of a reunion made me tense. I took a deep breath and carefully paced deeper into the crowd. Some of the people started recognising me.

I plastered an anxious grin on my face and pointlessly headed forward. Then I noticed Alfred in the distance standing next to the model of the city. Without thinking, I headed in his direction. I wanted to hear one single voice that wasn't Barbara's or Bruce. He abruptly turned around, looked straight at me, and his eyes widened.

"Mrs Valeska." He breathed out.

"Haven't heard that in a while." I chuckled nervously and hunched my shoulders.

"What a surprise." He uttered with utter confusion.

"Hello, Mr Pennyworth. Long time no see, eh?" I grinned and waved.

He immediately strode over to me and enveloped me in a hug. My eyebrows shot up with surprise, and I hesitantly returned the embrace.

"I haven't forgotten that you saved my boy. I was so pleased to hear you weren't dead." He told me and stepped back a bit. I smiled softly.

"Where were you all this time? Why are you here now?" He asked. I pulled my mouth in a straight line.

"I suppose you'll find out soon enough." I sighed. His eyebrows creased.

"I was with Bruce." I revealed. His mouth gaped slightly.

"So it was you." He muttered to himself.

"W-what was me?" I frowned with confusion.

"Master Bruce isn't one to joke, and once on the phone, he mentioned that a she made it up. I didn't ask questions. Didn't think it was my place. It was you."

"Y-yeah, but it wasn't romantic for even a second if it's what you were wondering."

"I-I wasn't." He mumbled, straightened himself up and shook his head.