𝟖𝟎. "𝐕𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭"

I led Jerome to the backyard. It was raining outside, but that was the least of my concerns. I quickly sat on the wet grass. Jerome was completely mystified.

"Sit." I pointed to the spot in front of me.

He plopped down where I gestured, crossed his leg and looked at me questioningly. I took a deep breath.

"There is nothing I can tell you to prepare you for what I'm about to do, so..."

I placed my hand on the ground, swallowed heavily and grew a single rose in front of him. His face fell. He looked at me and back at the flower. Then he started cackling maniacally.

I was used to it, so I decided to wait it out. It took him a good while before he finally calmed down. He shook his head, pushed his fingers into his hair and looked up at me with a huge grin.

"I'm dreaming, aren't I?" He chuckled hoarsely.

"You're not." I shook my head.

"I am." He nodded rapidly as if that would make it true.

I sighed softly and moved the rose right in front of his nose. His eyes widened and he immediately jumped back. Then he covered his mouth with his hand and turned his gaze away from me.

"Jerome?" I muttered nervously.

He put up his hand and shook his head. My heart fell into my stomach. I quickly got back to my feet. He didn't even glance at me.

"Ginger?" I frowned deeply. He shook his head firmly, shunning me.

"Honey?" My voice cracked. He paid no attention to me.

I felt tears prick at my eyes. I quickly rubbed them to prevent myself from crying and started scurrying towards the house. I could feel a few tears make their way down my cheeks.

"No! No! Fuck! Grey, wait! Don't go!" He yelled after me.

I ignored him and picked up my pace. He ran up to me, clutched my waist and pulled me off the ground.

"Leave me alone." I whimpered and jerked my body angrily.

"No, Gorgeous, don't. I'm so sorry. Just give me a minute." He mumbled into my curls. I exhaled deeply.

"Fine, just let me go." I sniffled.

"No." He growled and sat on the ground, keeping me firmly in his arms. We sat like that for a few very long, obnoxiously quiet seconds.

"How the hell did this happen?" He asked finally.

"I'll tell you if you let go of me." I shifted uneasily.

His reactions are just upsetting. I went through so much trying to shoulder his choices. From the moment he slaughtered his mother, to the last crazy stunt when he tried to kill himself.

His hold loosened and I immediately slid down to the ground in front of him. He was staring at me with a deep frown. I sighed and rubbed my forehead.

"The Witch? Her name is Ivy Pepper. I went to her and asked if there is a way to help you." I told him. His eyes filled with hope.

"Is there?" He leaned towards me with anticipation. My eyebrows creased a bit.

I had no idea he wanted to look normal this much. I knew he wasn't happy about his face, but this is edging on desperation.

Although I suppose the people insulting him piled on quite a bit in the last week or so.

I cupped his face and started stroking his cheeks lovingly. He frowned slightly, clearly unsure whether I have good or bad news.