Chapter 7

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Python asked from behind Robin and Trotzen. Snowflake and Cacti flying not to far behind them as they flew across the open desert in the middle of the night.

They had been flying for a few hours now and all of them were starting to feel the lack of sleep catching up on them, their wings growing sore and minds becoming clouded.

"We've only been flying for a few hours Python," Snowflake yawned. "We won't get there over night."

"Maybe we should take a break and get some sleep. We can't keep flying like this." Trotzen shook her head, as though trying to clear away her thoughts. The SandWing looked tiered and also rather annoyed, as though she were annoyed with herself for being tired.

"Yeah." Cacti agreed with a tired nod.

"Where will we sleep? We're in the open desert!" Robin exclaimed as they flew. All they could see for miles were sand, sand, sand and more sand. Oh! What was that over there? More sand.

"Maybe we should've thought this through some more." Python groaned.

Robin scanned the desert with her golden ember eyes, trying to find a suitable place to sleep as they flew. They couldn't just sleep in the open desert, it would get to hot and someone could find them and would bring them back to the palace which was in the opposite direction of where they were going!

As they continued to fly for a few more minutes, Robin's eyes locked onto something far off in the distance. She couldn't quite make out what it was just yet, so she picked up her pace, flapping her tired and sore wings harder to speed herself up.

"Robin? Slow down!" She could hear the others call to her, but she didn't slow down until she could see what the thing was.

It looked like a dead tree. The trees bark pale and ragged. It was snapped in the middle, making it hand over until it's branches held itself up against the sand.

That's the perfect place to sleep! She thought as she looks over her shoulder to see her friends slowly catching up.

"Hurry up you slow snails! I've found us a place to sleep!" She called to them. She turned back to look at the dead tree, flying down and landing on the cooling sand, that was still warm from the days heat hours ago. She felt the sand underneath her talons, moving around them as she walked over to the trunk where it was clear of the prickly dead and dry branches that almost looked to create a dome like shape, almost like an IceWing igloo.

Scorpion and Shudder had told her what they looked like. She'd never gotten the chance to see any IceWing villages because they were far away in the Ice Kingdom and it was really cold there from what Scorpion told her.

The dragonet crouched down and stuck her head under the trunk to look into the tangle of branches. It looks like it'll be big enough for all of us, she thought with a twitch of her sore wings.

She heard the soft thuds of dragons landing behind her, when she pulled her head back out and looked to see her friends standing not to far behind her, looking curiously at the dead and fallen tree.

Python practically collapsed onto the sand with an 'oof'. Cacti's wings were drooping down his sides, as well as Snowflake's as she looked ready to collapse right next to Python. Trotzen was the only one who was standing straight with her wings tucked at her sides, her tail curled like how most SandWings have them. It's so they don't accidentally stab or poke someone with their poisonous barbed tail.

"It looks big enough for all of us," Robin told them as she sat back on her haunches. "We can sleep under it for the night and no one will see us!" She smiled with a twitch of her ears. She felt proud of herself for finding the dead tree.