24

ya ik I've updated WAY past my usual updating time and I apologise. The past 2 weeks I was hit with a ton of homework and tests (even though it's the start of the year ugh) so I decided to stay up all night and write this chapter for you.

p.s. there's a small make out scene

-

t  w  e  n  t  y    f  o  u  r

Katniss' pov

"Okay, everyone listen. I know you all think your life is terrible as it is, but shit's about to get real. So I need you to all stop moping around and act like your interested in getting out of here alive."

Hamitch is glaring at us, pointing at me.

"Especially you. And Gale. We need your help."

I sigh and stand up, following him towards the cockpit. Four huge screens are built into the wall, all monitoring different things. There's two pilots flying the helicopter.

"We're going to be attacked before we make it out of here, probably re-"

A loud bang echoes through the aircraft, making me shake.

"Hamitch, that was a bullet... most likely a few bullets. How are we getting out?" One pilot yells.

"Weave through buildings, it's harder for them to aim. We need to get out of here fast, make this rusty thing move as fast as possible.," Hamitch replies.

He grumbles 'stay safe' and directs us back out to the main room. The long, anxious flight awaits. If we make it out of here.

I lean on Gale and play with his hair, trying to distract myself from my thoughts. We're flying right through the middle of the Capitol, in a ship which doesn't have a Capitol logo which just entered and left the Hunger Games arena. This is clearly a thought out plan.

"He's such an idiot," I mumble.

"Who's an idiot?" Gale looks down at me, confused.

"Hamitch. The retard didn't really think of what could've gone wrong, and now we're being chased by a large Capitol army."

Gale laughs, his chest vibrating against mine. I snuggle into it, surrounding myself in his beautiful scent.

"Remember, it's the thought that counts," he whispers.

"Hmm."

Suddenly I'm flung away from Gale, as the helicopter takes a sharp turn. I land awkwardly on my hand and it starts throbbing.

"Shit you okay Catnip?" Gale rushes over to me. I smile at him as he lifts me up, and carries me to the only seat in the room.

"Sit here and hold onto the seat, I'll sit on the floor and catch you if you go flying," he says.

"Thanks Gale," I reply and kiss his forehead. He grins.

"You guys know we're here too?" Rory screams out and we all laugh at him.

"Chill they weren't doing anything," Finnick says playfully. For a few seconds the room falls silent, like everyone's brains stopped at the same time.

We were all thinking about one person. Johanna. For a second I thought that she was actually here with us, but when we laughed as a group I felt hollow. Empty.

The realisation only just hit me, since everything has happened so fast. I think that goes for the others too. I clamp my eyes shut, trying to force memories to the back of my head for now. I need to clear my mind.