19

Thanks for 10,000 reads! xxxx

-

n  i  n  e  t  e  e  n

Katniss' pov

Day six. Four days left. I've got an infected arm and Rory still has a fever.

Oregon is dead.

So far we've had pretty bad luck, running into careers and being trapped by two tributes. Our only hope is that the bag I stole from Vick and Annabelle.

Last night I had nightmares about Oregon and Vick's eye, but I don't think the death of Oregon has settled in me yet. I'm still not used to seeing people around me die, and it feels so weird and surreal.

Everything in the gamer still feels unreal, and I'm finding it hard to grasp my head around the whole hunger games situation.

I don't understand why Erica would want to re-create the hunger games after she saw the war we had against the Capitol. I also fear that everyone back at home isn't safe because of the 'medicine' the Capitol handed out to everyone at the reaping.

I open the bag and find a bottle full of water, a sleeping bag, an ointment jar and a bottle with a label on it.

Rory picks up the jar.

"Use on burns. Will heal any cuts or infections. Infections will take 3 days to heal."

"Well what a coincidence that we actually need that," I mumble.

"This bottle says its medicine for treating headaches and fevers." I look at Rory suspiciously. He frowns.

"Why would they have the exact medicine we need in their bag? It's like they were being..."

"Controlled." I finish bluntly.

"The medicine at the reaping... they must of drank it. It controls you." I sink to the floor.

"They could do anything with the people that are under it's control," Rory states.

"Yep. They would of directed them to that pack and made sure they didn't get hurt until they had caught us." I sigh.

At the end of the day the sky lights up, showing Tulip from district 11 had died. Just like Rue.

---

Relter Gray's pov

"What are we going to about this. She knows now, they both know."

Everyone stares at me with a blank face.

"We could just kill them both," Leon says.

I shake my head. "No, we need them alive until they're reunited with their friends. Then we'll slaughter them all."

"But what if some of them are alive at the end?" Someone asks.

"You don't get it. You see, no one is going to survive this game," I smirk.

---

Katniss' pov

"Come on Katniss, we have to run faster!"

"Okay, wait up."

I'm running right beside Gale as we're spring towards the lake in the forest. When we get there I jump straight into the water.

I feel the ripples of Gale jumping in right after. I laugh and wrestle him, and we tumble around in the water.

We stop splashing and Gale hugs me tight.

"I love you so much Catnip," he whispers, stroking my hair.

"I love you too Gale, so so much," I whisper back.

We swim slowly over to the edge of the lake and lean back, just enjoying being able to hold each other.

Suddenly he disappears under the water.

"Gale? Gale where are you?" I frantically wave my arms around in the water and dive under, but he's no where.

I start to panic and search the lake. No bubbles come up.

"Gale... no!" I start screaming and thrashing in the water. "Why did you have to die, why not me!" I scream.

"Katniss he's still alive." A voice shouts.

"What? What do you mean?" I yell.

"Katniss, Katniss he's still alive!"

I blink a few times and the lake fades away, replacing it with a worried Rory shaking me.

"Are you okay?" He asks, still holding tightly into my shoulders.

"G-Gale." Is all I can manage to get out.

"He's fine; it was just a dream," he reassures me.

"Okay if you say so." I snuggle into Rory and hold his hand.

As we sit in a comfortable silence I let my tears blur my vision.

"Please be okay Gale, I need you," I whisper.

-

It's the seventh day. Still counting down the days until we see Gale, Johanna and Finnick. Rory's fever hasn't gotten worse nor better. The medicine has stabilised it for the moment but he's still in a lot of pain.

I've just started to rub the ointment on my arm but it freaking kills. The sting is so horrendous that I can barely bring myself to continue to layer it on.

The more these games go on the more painful it is. I NEED to see my mum and Gale's family to make sure they're okay.

Because... who knows what the Capitol are doing to all of the innocent people.

And that is the only thing that is keeping me from giving up.

---

Gale's pov

"I thought you said the torturing was over," I yell at the peace keeper who lashes me with a whip.

"I thought so too, but we got instructed today to do a light 20 minute session on you. The others won't be getting any though," he sniggers.

Well that's just great..

After the time was up he led me back to the dungeon where the rest of the 'mice' are being held.

Johanna, Finnick, Beetee and Enobaria stare up at me in shock as I walk in the door. Johanna and Finnick jump up and help me sit down, examining my wounds.

"Dammit... why do they do this," Finnick grumbles.

-

Comment and voteee

kat xx