10

Excuse my language in this chapter :")

-

t e n

Katniss' pov

I bolt to the hospital with Effie and Rory on my heels.

"Turn left!" Effie yells, and I take a sharp turn almost falling over in the process. What could of happened to Gale.. god I feel sick. If.. if he dies..
Tears brim my eyes at the thought, but I dismiss the thought as we reach the reception desk.

"We're here to see Gale Hawthorne tell us where he is," I demand.

The nurse glares at me. "He's in room 54 on the second floor but he's not allowed visitors yet," she says.

"Thanks," I say as we run towards the elevator. When the elevator stops we rush out and bolt down the corridor until we reached room 54. I peek through the blinds that are semi closed, and I see a limp body lying down on the hospital bed.

There's cuts everywhere, blood oozing from ever inch of his lifeless body while a team of nurses are rushing around the room, trying to stitch up his wounds.

Then realization finally hit me. It's Gale. "Oh shit."

"Katni- oh fuck," Rory muttered as he
looked through the blinds. I hug him and we both cry for who knows how long, holding onto each other afraid that we were going to collapse and curl up on the floor.

Why, why was freaking Gale the one lying in that hospital bed and not me?! He hasn't done anything at all to deserve such pain. I'm afraid I'll never be able to see his gorgeous face beaming at me. His perfect smile, his toned arms holding me close. His amazing scent, exactly like the woods. The love of my life could be dead. Why.

"Um sorry, are you related to Gale Hawthorne?" Trying to make out the person who is talking to me through blurry eyes is difficult, let me tell you.
"Yes, I'm his brother Rory Hawthorne and this is Katniss Everdeen his um... girlfriend." Rory looks at me slightly smiling.

"Uh yea that's correct," I mutter staring down at my feet.

"Right, well I have some good and bad news with Gale."

"Hit us with the bad news first," I mumble.

"Okay, well the bad news is that because of... his amount of injuries, his body is extremely fragile and will take a while to heal. But, the worst part is... he's currently in a coma." The nurse says.

Well, that's just splendid.

"What's the good news?" I urge her.

"Ah well usually with the amount of injuries he has, he would have around 30% chance of survival, but considering that his body has been built very well, it raised his percentage of survival to 50%." she gulps half hyperventilating.

"WHAT!" Rory and I yell in unison. How on earth is that happy news? He only has a 50% chance of survival for fucks sake!

"Care to explain how the hell that was good news when my brother is half dead in that room!" Rory yells, drawing passing peoples' attentions. The nurse looks petrified.

"I-I-I'll just get back to the room." she swung open the door and locks it behind her.

I sit down on a visitors chair, letting my tears flow out of my eyes once again.

-

"Katniss, Katniss wake up." Slowly I open my eyes to see Rory's tired face level with mine. His eyes droop down with big bags under them and red marks around his face from tears.

"Get some sleep kiddo, I'll wake you up if anything happens," I say sternly. He nods and climbs into the chair next to mine, dozing off as soon as his head hits the back of the chair.

I jump out of my chair and decide to go on a walk. The smell of the hospital is quite vile- blood and the stench from open wounds floods your nose as soon as you walk in the door.

I hear a groan from one of the rooms.. that sounds slightly familiar. I walk towards the room that it came from, and lying on the bed is Finnick.

"Finnick?" I whisper and bolt into the room. He slowly turns his head to face me, and when he sees me he gives a weak smile.

"Hey Katniss," he croaks. I sit in the visitor chair and hold his hand, examining his body. He has cuts and bruises everywhere, like Gale. Except not as bad. His face is quite damaged, with two black eyes and long cuts down his cheeks. The rest of his body is bloody and bruised.

"Gale copped twice as much as Joanna and I," he says, shutting his eyes tight like he's remembering a horrible memory. I just blink.

"I-I remember being shoved back into the room after they beat me up around lunch time every day. Gale and Joanna tried to clean up my wounds, and I did the same back to them. We all helped each other get cleaned up as best as we could. But Gale... I remember watching him stumble back into the room around 7:00pm.

"Every day, he would just lay wherever he fell because he got beaten double what we got. He still helped clean up Joanna and I, even though he was in such excruciating pain and even if we begged him not to. The only time he'd actually talk was when he spoke about you. You really kept him going throughout, you know."

I held his hand.

"His eyes would light up whenever we mentioned your name. He went on for hours talking about how much he loves you and how he misses you like crazy." He smiles.

I smile back, taking a deep breathe.
"You know he only has a 50% chance of waking up," I whisper. His head jerks up.

"Oh crap," he mutters.

"He will make it Katniss, he's the strongest person I have ever met. Don't give up yet," he reassures me.

I nod. "I'll never give up hope, Finnick. I know he will wake up," I whisper, placing a kiss on his forehead.

"I'll visit another time but I have to get back to Rory. Get better soon." I give him a hug and walk out of the room.

-

That was the most painful chapter to write, it brought tears to my eyes. Who wants Gale to wake up?

kat xx