1

This story is set two years after Mockingjay with the addition of Finnick being alive.

I hope you like it :)

-

o n e

Katniss' pov

Lonely and empty is all I've felt since Prim, my sweet, innocent Prim was killed. My little duck is now gone, dead from the world. She's not the only one I lost in the process though. Peeta and Gale too.

My feelings for Peeta have cleared up and I've realised that I never really was in love with him. I'll admit I was attracted to him at one point but now that my head is clear the realisation hit me hard. Peeta isn't the one for me. With all of the pressure from him, Haymitch, Effie, the Districts and most importantly Snow I pretty much forced myself into believing that I loved him.

I pushed him away, out of my daily routine, out of my life; out of everything. He still follows me around like a lost puppy sometimes, heart broken and desperate. He can't get it through his head that I don't love him, that I don't want anything to do with him.

Gale's a completely different story though. He left for District 2 because he blamed himself for the bombs, because he helped make them. I'm far beyond the point of caring about something as simple as that. He didn't kill Prim, Coin and Beetee did. They knew exactly what was happening. So he left after saying goodbye and I haven't seen him since.

It's now two years later and the empty hole in my heart still hasn't healed. It's still as broken as it was the day he left.

I visit the forest like every morning and lay fresh primroses on top of Prim's grave, which is next to the beautiful lake Gale and I used to swim in. I listen to the birds chirping for a few moments before I'm disturbed by loud, crunching footsteps.

"Katniss please talk to me, I'm sorry for whatever I did, just please-"

"It's over Peeta, it's been over. Give it up."

I turn my back to him, heading towards the lake house, hoping that he doesn't follow. Jogging through the forest with cold wind and pine smell in the air, I forget about everything and focus on the group of butterflies circling in front of me. I sit on a rock outside and gaze around, noticing a tall figure dragging a deer in my direction.

I crouch down behind the lodge, trying to calm my heartbeat. I spot a knife beside the rock I was sitting on which has the initials G.H engraved onto the blade.

The male starts singing the Hanging Tree, drawing tears to my eyes with every single word. I know exactly who it is. He knows I'm here too.

"Are you, are you, coming to the tree

Wear a necklace of rope,

Side-by-side with me,

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be,"

"If we met, at mid-night in the hanging tree," I sing as I face the man that always achieves a smile on my face.

He stares at me, smiling, as I take in the fact that he's really here. He looks exactly the same except his healthy weight gain and muscle build which makes him even more attractive.

"Catnip."

"Gale."

We laugh and embrace in a hug, as he wraps his long arms around my body to keep me from falling. I snuggle my face into his shirt, realising that these moments are the ones I treasure the most. 

We break apart and stand in silence, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry."

A confused expression sweeps across my features,  waiting for him to continue.

"For not coming back. For leaving. For Prim. Pretty much for everything, because I've just made your life a lot harder," he says, lowering his head.

"Don't apologise because you haven't done anything wrong. You didn't hurt Prim, you didn't want to and you didn't. It's not your fault what happened. I'm just glad you came back, I really missed you."

"I'm glad you're okay, I really missed you too." He laughs softly. Gale sits on the rock, his lips surprisingly twisting into a frown.

"So um, what's happening between you and Peeta?" He asks.

"Nothing, nothing at all. Why would you ask that?"

"Come on Katniss you can't say that, aren't you guys happy in love or some crap like that," he says with annoyance.

"No, why on earth would you think that? You honestly think that having a mountain of pressure thrown on your shoulders to be 'in love' with him made that happen? And again, why are you asking these questions?"

He sighs, "It's because I love you Catnip, every part of you, everything about you is perfect and I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since I left. I left because I know you don't deserve me, the guy who wrecked your life, but I couldn't keep away from you any longer." His voice fades into a whisper. "I feel selfish but I fucking love you."

"Gale I never loved Peeta, the person I am falling in love with is you," I whisper.

"Me?" He asks, confused.

I nod. "Your the one that has helped me through my entire life Gale, you've helped me in so many ways and I enjoy every moment we spend together. I-I need you back in my life because I've been a complete mess without you." I slowly feel my eyes water and focus my eyes on the ground.

"Oh Catnip, I'm so sorry." I bury myself into his chest and blink back a lonely tear. He lifts my chin up and stares into my eyes.

"You look cute even though your eyes are all puffy," he smiles.

"I find that hard to believe," I say, smiling back.

I feel his breath on my face, his face inching closer to mine. I move my face closer to his, and our lips meet. The kiss feels like forever before Gale pulls away slightly, smiling against my lips.

"I love you Catnip," he whispers.

"I love you too," I say, smiling.

-

Its a bit of a strange chapter with all of the lovey dovey stuff, but the next chapter is back into the main point of the story so please keep on reading :)

kat xx