17

Well... you probably all think I'm the worst person ever since its been nearly two months since I've updated O.o

but there is something to be happy about, I've reached 8,000 reads! Thanks everyone who has read my fan fiction, its really amazing to think that I've actually got this far (even though it really isn't much) but to me it's a big deal. Thanks :)

-

s  e  v  e  n  t  e  e  n

Katniss' pov

Bunches of fireballs are flying towards us. Screams from Minnie and Shine pierce my ears.

"Hurry, get down now!" I yell at the boys. I jump down and land awkwardly, twisting my ankle. I mentally scream and look for Rory. He's top priority.

I pull his arm and we stumble forwards. We try to stay low as possible but it's hard to move fast when your bending over. A fireball narrowly misses my leg and I can still feel the warmth from it passing me. The heat alone bloody burns.

I can't see the careers anywhere which is a good thing, but the only direction I can see is forward so I don't actually have a clue. More fireballs are shot at us, narrowly missing me every time.

I scream from the intensity of the heat from a fireball which burns my left arm. I drop to the ground and roll over, clutching it in agony.

"Katniss, Katniss get up!" Someone tries to drag me away from the fire but all I can feel is the heat becoming more intense. Or is it my arm?

I try to pull myself up with the aid of someone's arm, but I don't have enough strength. "Hey Katniss it's me."

I look up and see Prim hovering in the fire. "Get away from there you're going to burn!" I yell at her, thrashing against the person holding me up.

Prim smiles and waves. "Did you miss me? It's been a while since we last talked," she says.

Okay I'm so confused now, why is my dead sister talking to me like everything's normal and how am I talking to her in the first place? Is she.. alive...?

"Katniss come to me. I've missed you so much." She opens her arms for a hug.

"I'm coming Prim just wait there," I yell to her.

The person holding me back is yelling at me but I'm not listening to what he's saying. Prim backs into the fire slowly, still smiling.

"No get away from there PRIM!" I scream as tears roll down my face. I try to crawl closer to her but the person is holding me back.

"Prim, no Prim!!" She starts to disappear deeper into the flames, screaming her head off. I.. I could of saved her.

A voice becomes clear to me but I'm in a daze.

"Katniss stop! She's not real, it's not Prim." Rory is shaking me as hard as he can. His eyes are full of fear and anger.

"It wasn't her Katniss, it was a computerised image of her. They were trying to leer us into the fire." He sits on the floor and places his head into his palms.

"What happened to the fire?"

"It vanished as soon as the picture of Prim did. Then you were screaming and thrashing everywhere and I didn't know what to do." He whispered.

"Oh. So what's wrong with you?"

A tear rolled down Rory's face.

"For a second I really thought that Prim was real and I was so happy because I thought I would be able to talk to her again. Hold her hand. Hug her. I miss her so much, dammit!" He kicks the ground and sobs hysterically.

"Why Katniss, why do they torture us like this?" He screams. I wrap him in my arms as we hold each other, clinging on with fright.

"I don't know Rory, I don't know." I whisper.

The pain in my arm becomes more intense and I let go of Rory.

"I'll see if there's anything in my bag for that burn." He sniffles.

He rummages through his bag and finds disinfectant and a cloth.

"Well at least we can clean and cover it, but we don't have any medicine to mend it."

"It'll do for now." I mumble.

As Rory cleans my arm Oregon makes his way over to us, crawling.

"Hey are you okay?" I ask.

"Hel, help. legs."

He drops flat on the ground and grunts, and his whole body shakes.

"What the-Oregon what's happening to you!" I scream as Rory and I rush over to him.

We flip him over and his eyes are closed but he's still breathing. His body it still shaking all over.

"Oregon, buddy, stop shaking! Stop!" Rory yells, trying to hold him still.

I examine his legs, which both strangely have 2 small, blue circles on each. The dots glow like an electric current is running through him.

"I think he was bitten by something, look at his legs." Rory's eyes widen when he sees the dots.

"They're definitely bites. I also know what they're from. A small bird called a 'lergin' is the cause of these. Lergins are extremely small but let off a light that flickers blue, so they're quite easy to spot. The downfall is that there bites conduct electricity and also contain poison, but they die shortly after biting someone.

"Their effects are shaking, loss of body heat, and if not treated can be deadly. Usually one bite takes 1 hour to kill someone, and this guy has been bitten four times. So, it's not good news."

"Am I going to die?"

I look down at Oregon, who's looking up at me with worry. At least he stopped shaking.

"Ah..." I look at Rory for help.

He sighs. "Unless the game maker changers the rule and let's people send us medicine, which, by the way is very expensive for this particular problem.. then I'm afraid so."

Rory and I hold one of Oregon's hands each and sit in silence. Oregon cries silently, not saying a word.

About 10 minutes go by until he starts coughing up blood and gets quite pale.

"Oregon can you still talk?" I ask urgently.

"Tell Fin I-I miss him."

"We will. come on stay with us," Rory squeezes Oregon's hand as his breathing slows down to long, sharp breaths.

"I love you guys, you're am-amazing."

He coughs up more blood as my eyes start to water.

"You, you can." He opens his eyes and takes a large breath.

"Win." His body becomes motionless and his eyes roll back.

"No, no come on, you can't just..." I trail off, not knowing what to say. I rest my arms on his chest and cry, ignoring the burning sensation coming from my arm.

"We're making it to Finnick. No matter what." Rory whispers, patting my head.

"Definitely."

-

Update will be in the next 1-3 weeks,

kat xx