Ds!Dreammare

This was requested Emeraldgaze18.
Thank you!

Nightmare has always had a strange relationship with Dream. It wasn't quite like any other relationship Nightmare had ever had with anyone else. It was special. It was sacred. They had grown up together and were best friends when they were younger but things had changed but the one thing that didn't change was Nightmare's strong feelings for Dream.

He hated the strong emotions he felt toward him. He hated how good and warm inside Dream had made him feel. He had broken his trust, betrayed him, and not to mention wanted to kill him. There was no way Nightmares feelings would be reciprocated or at least that's what he thought. He couldn't begin to understand why he still cared about him especially in the way that he did.

Nightmare sighed, laying down on the cold stone floor. He was being held in the basement of JR and had basically given up the hopes of escape seeing as both Cross and Error had been captured as well. The way that this particular cell had been modified, it made escape practically impossible.

Nightmare felt as if he was waiting around for hours but because of how tall the one window was it was impossible to tell just how much time had passed. He wasn't entirely sure if he just felt as if he had just hated being locked up in here to the point that it just felt like he had been trapped for a long time when he really  hadn't.

Nightmare had no idea what Dream was planning but he was feeling as if he had been waiting around forever. It surprised him that Dream hadn't come to kill him already, it made him slightly hopeful but at the same time he still felt mostly pessimistic. He wished he knew what Dream was doing right now and what he was planning.

As soon as Nightmare had heard the door click open his head perked up. There stood Dream in the doorway, his wings tucked behind his back. He noticed that Dream wasn't looking directly at him which confused him.

"Dream..?"

"What!?" Dream snapped. 

Nightmare could tell he was clearly irritated or annoyed but the more he looked at Dream he just appeared to look more stressed or overwhelmed. He was sure something else was going on with Dream as well but entirely sure what that could possibly be. 

"If this is it.. if you really are going to kill me this time.. I need to get something off my chest. I need to tell you something."

Dream didn't say anything so Nightmare decided he might as well speak his mind. He was slightly hesitant but he felt as if he needed to say this.

"I love you Dream. I always have."

Dream's wing puffed up in surprise, he looked Nightmare directly in the eyes. "What!? What did you just say?!"

"I said that i love you! You idiot!"

"Why?"

"Why?! Why do people fall in love in the first place? I don't know.. I don't know! I just know that I care about you more than I've ever cared about anyone else in my life."

Dream sighed. He sat down next to him, he placed his hand on top of Nightmare's. Nightmare was automatically overwhelmed by the sudden contact and started balling. Dream pulled Nightmare closer to him wrapping his arms around him. This just made Nightmare cry even harder. He hated showing weakness in front of others, especially Dream but he was just so overwhelmed by strong emotions to the point that he couldn't help it.

"Hey. Hey, it's alright. You're okay." Dream mumbled, rubbing his back gently.

Nightmare nodded, wiping the tears off of his face.

"I love you Night-"

"No. No you don't. You want me dead. That isn't love, Dream."

"I don't want you dead Nightmare.. I just need to erase all negativity from the multiverse. You act as if I could easily kill you without even thinking about it. I care about you a lot, Nightmare, I really do."

"See this is your problem! You think you need to get rid of me just because of-"

"I don't want to get rid of you. Why can't you understand that?" 

"You're literally contradicting yourself!"

"Nightmare you don't understand i'm not trying to kill you because i don't need to."

"What do you mean you don't 'need' to? Don't you want to get rid of the only source of negativity in the multiverse? Isn't that what you want?"

"I need to get rid of negativity, not you. Why can't you understand that you're not the problem."

"Suree Dream, i'm not the problem that's why i'm basically seen as the enemy to your organization and therefore the entire multiverse! That makes literally so much sense!"

"Nightmare.."

"What!? What could you possibly say to make this situation any better."

"I knew it. I alway knew that I couldn't kill you.."

"Why didn't you say this earlier and if that's the case why don't you just let me go!?! Why don't you just let me live my life without being seen as a criminal?"

"Because I have a job to do."

"Apparently that job is making me absolutely miserable."

Dream sighed. "I found a way."

"What do you mean you found a way."

"I found a way to get rid of the negativity inside of without having to kill you."

"And why didn't you mention this earlier?"

"Well I didn't think you'd be inclined to actually let me remove the negative spirit  from you. Besides there's still the chance that you could actually die and I-I just can't take that risk."

"Why?"

"I still care about you Night. I love you."

I'm sorry I-"

"Don't apologize."

"But-"

"I'm in the wrong Nightmare. I have been. You don't need to apologize to me and you shouldn't."

Nightmare smiled and practically jumped onto Dream. His eyes widened and his wings puffed up in surprise.

"Nightmare!!"

Nightmare giggled, still hugging onto him. Dream rolled his eyes, but still smiled hugging Nightmare back. 

"I don't deserve you Night."

"Yes, you do." Nightmare mumbled getting closer to Dream.

"What are you-" Before Dream could even finish his sentence. Nightmare leaned in closer to him, kissing him.

Nightmare smirked while Dream's face turned bright yellow.

Word Count: 1,050