Chapter 45

Up above is an image of my interpretation of Theo Nott, who will be making his big debut in this chapter. I also want to say sorry for the very delayed update, work had been steadily picking up since lockdown and restrictions have eased. More notes from the author will be at the end of the story for news on updates.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Harry's POV

The second task was drawing nearer, and though I had already figured out the clue, I was frightened about what my treasure would be. If I knew Dumbledore, it wouldn't just be any old thing, it would be a person, someone I care and loved so much. But who?

As close as Hermione was to me, I doubt she would be chosen for me, she was far too smart and resourceful to be forced into the tournament like that. Dumbledore also knew that she was starting to break from his grip, and if he did anything like that to her, especially if it related to me, he knew that he would lose her for good. Not knowing he already had.

Neville was the Heir to one of the Sacred 28, the last Heir to House Longbottom, if Dumbledore used him, not only would the Board attack him, but so would the entire Wizengamot. And that was not something that Dumbledore could afford, not right now at least. Luna was pretty much in the same boat, and though she was considered an Heir, her family wasn't part of the Sacred 28, but she was being courted by Neville, and that made her untouchable.

That left George, Fred and Zefra. Out of the twins, it would most likely be George, but everyone knew that I was close to Zefra, not only was she one of my tutors, she was part of my group, an integral part of the group. Dumbledore knew this, and as much as Zefra liked pissing off Dumbledore, and pranking him, she knew not to incite his rage, less he lash out with magic. She couldn't take him, not without showing what and who she truly was, which would put a huge target on her back, one by both Dumbledore and Voldemort, not something either of us really wanted.

With a heavy head, I made my way to the 7th floor, not really in the mood to deal with Draco and his whining as I speak once again to the Slytherins. Hermione, Neville, and Luna were already up there, making sure everything was set up properly, adding some of the things that Tracey and Daphne had suggested. Zefra was bringing the Slytherins. Her own sleuthing around the castle uncovering several Parseltongue passages, some that could connect to different areas, one being the Chamber, while another ended right in front of the Room of Requirement.

Silently, I made my way up, ducking into alcoves as students and teachers passed, not even Mrs Norris spotting me. Just as I make it to the 7th floor, a pair of long strong arms wind their way around my shoulders, instincts kicking in instantly at the perceived threat.

I acted without thinking, stomping on the person's foot, causing them to stumble back, allowing me drive an elbow into their stomach, before I turn blindly, sweeping their feet. My concealed knife sliding from it's hidden sheath on my forearm, into my awaiting hand. In one swift movement, I've pinned their arms above their head, my magic helping to reinforce my strength, my free hand holding the knife inches from their exposed neck, my own fangs bared in a growl.

It's only after a few seconds of my attacker not struggling that I look at them - properly look at them. Panic slightly fills me, as it rages against my training and instincts. There lying underneath me, pupils blown wide, and awed tilt to his lips, was George. Still shocked I keep our position, muscles still bunched, ready to spring at any time, though it's the heated look he's sending me that finally registers the position I'm in. A blush forming as it finally sinks in.

"Harry, as hot as you are right now, I think you're starting to bruise my wrists, and I would very much appreciate that the knife be pulled away from my throat." He was surprisingly calm about this, but that didn't stop the embarrassment I felt.