Chapter 23

"Bhai ruk jaate naa aur kuch din." Shehnaaz said as she was feeling sad that her family was returning back today.

"Kaam bhi toh dekhna hai naa aur bachon ki school bhi kaafi miss hogayi. Tu kyun nahi aa jaati Punjab? Tujhe itna waqt hogaya hai ghar aaye." Samar said.

"Aungi chutti leke fir kabhi. Job bhi toh dekhna hai. Kaafi chuttiyan hogayi hai abhi." Shehnaaz said.

"Jaanta hoon. Tera bhi kaam hai jo tujhe dekhna hai isliye kabhi tujhe force nahi karta. Jab mann kare chale aana apne ghar." Samar said patting her head.

Shehnaaz quickly hugged her brother tightly. She was definitely going to miss him a lot.

The bags were already packed.

"Sidharth I know mujhe bolne ki zarurat bhi nahi hai kyunki tu already karta hai par phir bhi Shehnaaz ka dhyaan rakhna." Samar said as he met Sidharth. They had both become buddies in the past few days.

Sidharth patted his back and said "You don't have to worry. Main hoon iske saath."

"Jaanta hoon isliye iss baar zyada fikar nahi horahi isko aise chod ke jaane ki." Samar said as both the men shared a smile.

Shehnaaz was already tearing up hugging her mother but she was trying to stay strong.

"Khush reh meri bachi." Shehnaaz's mother blessed her.

"Sidharth, khush reh puttar. Teri bahut yaad aayegi bache." Shehnaaz's mother said while hugging Sidharth.

"Main bhi aapko bahut miss karunga aunty." Sidharth said, meaning it completely. It was always great to have family around and the people he was surrounded with right now had somewhere in some weird way become his family.

"Humein bhooji aur Sidharth uncle ko chodke nahi jaana." The kids had cried.

It took a lot of coaxing by the elders for the kids to agree to go.

Sidharth and Shehnaaz had to promise them that they would visit them very soon before Simran and Aman finally agreed to go.

Sidharth loaded the luggage in the car and got in the driver's seat. Samar sat with him in the passenger seat while the woman and kids somehow stuffed themselves behind. It was a short journey to the airport so they had decided to manage in one car only.

"Dono bache ek dusre ka dhyaan rakhna." Shehnaaz's mother had said while sobbing and bidding them good bye at the airport.

The women of the Shergill house seemed to have a tanker full of tears which the two men Samar and Sidharth were finding very difficult to manage. It was an emotional scene, one that people saw in the movies.

Shehnaaz was still sniffing while they were returning back home.

"Oye, kya hua meri jaan? Simran and Aman ko promise bhi kiya hai so jaldi jayenge Punjab. Please stop crying." Sidharth pulled her into a hug to stop her from crying. Shehnaaz snuggled into his chest. It comforted her. His touch always comforted her. She didn't know how but he always managed to calm her.

Sidharth was feeling restless at home. He didn't want to leave her alone and he had asked Shehnaaz to come to his place upon their return. He knew she was upset and so he had offered to order food and watch a movie. But Shehnaaz had denied. She knew she was getting too dependent on Sidharth and she feared it. He was the calm to her storm but she was scared to give him that power.

She returned to an empty house and broke down. She had tried to run away from family, from feeling belonged. She had decided that she was enough for herself but today she felt weak, she felt tired and so she cried. She cried her heart out. She wanted to scream so she dug her face in the pillow and screamed so her cries could not be heard. It was painful. This constant conflict was painful.