Chapter 45

Shehnaaz held the bowl full of caramel custard while Sidharth rang the doorbell as they stood outside the Wadia house. Freny aunty opened the door with a wide smile and welcomed them in, showering them with all her love and warmth. She certainly was really fond of both of them.

"Rusi jo ni kaun aayach." Freny aunty called out to Rusi uncle. (Rusi look who's here.)

"Kaun che darling?" Rusi uncle said as he walked into the living room. (Who is it darling?). His face reflected the happiness he felt on seeing both of them.

"Arre Shehnaaz and Sidharth. Come come. Baitho tumlog." Rusi uncle welcomed them.

"Freny jara chai naasto jo ni." Rusi uncle spoke to Freny aunty. (Freny look into the tea and snacks.)

"Yes yes, ofcourse. Kya loge tum dono? Tea or coffee?" Freny aunty asked.

"Arre aunty kuch bhi nahi. Humne thodi der pehle hi bahut heavy lunch kiya hai. Ab bilkul jagah nahi hai." Shehnaaz replied.

"Haan aunty. Ekdum full hai." Sidharth replied.

"Ohh date pe gaye the?" Rusi uncle asked. Shehnaaz looked at him in shock with an open mouth and then looked down trying to hide her flush. Sidharth was trying to hide his blush but failed miserably as his grin gave it away.

"Rusi stop embarrassing the poor kids. Isko ignore karo tum log. Iski toh aadat hi hai." Freny aunty intervened.

"Aunty woh yeh caramel custard banaya tha toh woh dena tha. Aur Sidharth ko bhi ek good news deni thi." Shehnaaz said handing over the bowl of custard to Freny aunty.

"Arre waah. Congratulations, congratulations!" Rusi uncle wished.

Shehnaaz, Sidharth and Freny aunty looked at him confused.

"Rusi usko bolne toh de ki good news kya hai." Freny aunty said.

"Woh excitement mein bol diya." Rusi uncle said making them laugh.

"Woh actually humari company ko ek bahut badi deal mili hai. So that's the good news." Sidharth said.

"Oh my God. Congratulations my baba. I have to make you eat something sweet. Abhi tum mana nahi kar sakte." Freny aunty said and got up to go to the kitchen. Shehnaaz followed her inside.

"Congratulations Sidharth! You better keep her happy." Rusi uncle said. Sidharth looked at him startled.

"Agli baar terrace ka darwaza lock kar dena." He said and winked. Sidharth blushed and looked down to hide it while scratching the back of his neck.

"Both of you make a lovely pair. It's great to have someone who celebrates your achievements more than you. Shehnaaz ne isi liye custard banaya naa?" Rusi uncle asked. Sidharth smiled and nodded.

"Keep her safe with you." Rusi uncle advised with a smile and a pat on his hand.

"I will." Sidharth replied with a determined smile.

A few minutes later, Freny aunty and Shehnaaz walked out with four bowls filled with a Parsi delicacy ravo, a semolina pudding prepared on special occasions, a little different from its cousin suji ka halwa or sheera.

"This is amazing aunty. Thank you." Sidharth said once he had a spoonful.

"I am glad you like it. Shehnaaz ne bataya about your recent visits. How is everyone at home? And how did you find New Zealand?" Freny aunty asked.

Sidharth informed her that everyone was well and went on to share his New Zealand experience. The four of them sat there enjoying the semolina pudding and were kept entertained by Rusi uncle's jokes.