Chapter 36

After a nice breakfast of upma, Shehnaaz started preparing for a full fledged Gujarati thali with the help of Avni. Corn pattice, kaju karela sabzi, alu baingan masala, whole moong gravy, meethi dal, rice, phulka, papad churi, salad, chutneys, basundi and chaas formed a part of the menu.

The family sat around the dining table as Shehnaaz and Avni served them all.

"Khana dikhne mein toh lajaawaab hai. Presentation ke liye full marks haan Shehnaaz." Sidharth's mother said fondly looking at the elaborate spread that was served in large individual thalis and serving bowls were also placed on the dining table should anybody need another helping.

"Chaliye shuru karein sab? Shehnaaz beta, aap baith kyun nahi rahi?" Daadi asked.

"Nahi Daadi. Woh...woh aap log khaiye naa. Main phir baithungi." Shehnaaz said.

"Arre par beta, aap bhi khaiye humare saath." Daadi said.

"Daadi main rukti hoon iske saath. Nervous horahi hai bechari ki kaisa bana hoga." Avni walked over to Shehnaaz and put a shoulder around her pulling her close. She gave Avni a half smile. Shehnaaz was anxious. She didn't know why but their opinion mattered. She wanted them to like her and what she cooked. She looked towards Sidharth who was already looking at her and trying to assure her with his eyes. Shehnaaz did feel better. His assurance made all the difference. She didn't know why and how this man had become so important for her. She smiled back at him.

"Shehnaaz, idhar aaiye." Daadi called out to her a little strictly.

Shehnaaz was again nervous. She wondered what she did wrong. Did she put a little extra salt? Was the food too spicy? Did she forget to add something? She was trying to recall how she prepared each dish in her mind to figure out what could have gone wrong while walking towards Daadi.

Daadi got up from her seat with a strict face and started taking something out from her purse. Shehnaaz looked a little confused at Sidharth who was mirroring her expression.

Daadi pulled out some notes from her little jhola that she hung around her waist and pulled Shehnaaz into a tight hug.

"Dil khush kar diya aap ne beta. Itna swaadisht khana hai. Ab pata chala Sidharth aap ka...mera matlab hai aap ke khane ka itna deewana kyun hai. Yeh lijiye." Daadi said handing over the notes she had taken out. Sidharth tried to hide his blush understanding Daadi's unsaid words.

"Ji Daadi main yeh kaise le sakti hoon." Shehnaaz said not understanding how to react. She was happy that Daadi had showered her with love but was a little hesitant in accepting the gift Daadi wanted to give her.

"Arre beta yeh toh shagun hai. Aaj pehli baar humari bah... mera matlab hai beti ne humare ghar khana banaya hai. Toh shagun toh dena banta hai na." Daadi said.

Sidharth had turned red already. He coughed and gulped some water while hearing soft chuckles from the rest of the family members.

"Le lo Shehnaaz. Daadi pyaar se de rahi hai. Haq hai unka." Sidharth's mother said finally.

Shehnaaz nodded and accepted the gift.

"Ab chaliye. Aap bhi baithke khaiye khaana humare saath." Daadi said.

"Ji Daadi." Shehnaaz said happily walking towards her seat.

Daadi called out to Sidharth silently who was sitting next to her. "Sidharth agar aapne iss ladki ko humare ghar ki bahu nahi banaya toh hum aap se baat karna band kar denge." Daadi whispered softly in a threatening tone.

Sidharth didn't know whether to laugh or to feel embarrassed. He just pulled Daadi's hand and managed to kiss it and then smiled showcasing his cute bunny teeth.