Chapter 12 - The Council

Gabriel could hear the murmuring behind the door. He had got himself some food from Vincent and was now outside Lucian's study. He knocked on the door and entered.

'Gabriel, my good friend, come join us'

Lucian was magnanimous with his greeting. The faces around the room looked at Lucian

'Don't worry gentlemen, ladies. Gabriel is aware of our little group and its purpose'

They all looked back at Gabriel.

The Guardians stood behind each of their delegates eyed Gabriel with suspicion, the fallen ones, were wary of Gabriel, despite his apparent renegade status. 

Lucian indicated a seat next to Jake and Gabriel sat. The table was long and rectangular with Lucian at the head, with Jake on his right. It was set with fourteen places. Lucian started the introductions

'You know General Kyle'

The General, who was sat on Lucian's immediate left, dressed in a green military uniform, nodded to Gabriel. Gabriel had met the General on a number of occasions. He was in his late fifties, with cropped greying hair. There was a scar down his left cheek giving him a slightly menacing appearance. He was part of a European elite force, answering directly to the European Anti-terrorist Bureau's Chief. 

His shadow was Azakel, a tall blonde fallen angel, his eyes black, devoid of light. Lucian continued his introductions around the table. 

Next to the General was Miss Geia, from France and in her late twenties, she was petite wearing a light blue suit which matched her eyes. Her auburn hair was allowed to flow freely over her shoulders. Lucian explained that she was high up in the U.S.E. (United States of Europe) Government, but didn't divulge any further information. 

She smiled suggestively at Gabriel. Her shadow, Gia, was slightly smaller than Azakel, but with equally dark eyes, her auburn hair falling across her face. 

The dark skinned man next to her stood up and offered his hand when Lucian introduced him as Jerobim. Gabriel shook the man's hand, commenting on his nice watch, a solid gold Rolex. As Jerobim sat back down he adjusted his blood red tie slightly, it contrasted perfectly with the crisp white shirt and black pinstriped suit.

'He's got to be a banker' thought Gabriel.

Jinn, the figure behind Jerobim didn't acknowledge Gabriel at all, his eyes were firmly fixed on Jake. 

Lucian continued. Next to Jerobim, sat Mr. Vale, an American business man, with slightly greying brown hair and moustache to match, he owned the International Illumni Trust a front for a clandestine organisation who controlled the worlds' money markets. 

Next were two USE Government politicians, Mr. Jeremy and Ms. Givano. The three Guardians behind Mr. Vale and the two politicians nodded to Gabriel, they were Saniel, Adato and Beliel. They had fought with Lucian and Gabriel as members of the Drakim; they were among the few that had escaped the extermination on Xaria.

The woman at the end of the table didn't need to be introduced. She was the USE President, Helena Trovowski; she had come from obscurity to win the last European election by a landslide. She was impeccably dressed in black suit, despite being in her late forties she looked about thirty. Her black hair cut in a bob, shaped round her face. Her steel eyes gave her a hardness that many found intimidating.

'I have heard much about you, Gabriel, I am glad that you could join us'

Her Polish accent, coming through her excellent English, Gabriel smiled and wondered what Lucian had told her. Of all the people in the room, with the exception of Jake, Lucian and Gabriel, Helena was the only one without a shadow. Gabriel was troubled by this; he made a mental note to talk to Lucian about this later.