Chapter 25 - Azakel & The General

Lucian paced up and down the room. His inner circle members watched him intently as did their fallen Guardians. He stopped by his chair and grabbed the back in his big hands pressing the leather till it was almost squeezed flat.

'We have a traitor in our midst' he said, uncharacteristically quiet.

Lucian scanned the room letting his gaze fall on everyone for just a moment. He liked the dramatic effect it had on everyone. General Kyle shifted in his seat and leaned forward pressing his hands together.

'Are you suggesting that one of our inner circle members is a traitor?'

Lucian took his seat

'My dear general, I am not suggesting, I know we have a traitor'

There was a stunned silence as the inner circle members looked around the room, each wondering who it was. They each started to try and protest their innocence, but Lucian raised his hand for silence.

'The traitor knows who they are and be assured I know who it is. But right now we have a more pressing issue'

Helena slammed her fist on the table, making the other members jump.

'How can there be a more pressing issue than a traitor, all our plans could be for nothing!'

Her anger bringing out more of her polish accent than normal. Lucian remained calm.

'Helena, Jake is missing, as is Gabriel. My sources tell me that our enemy has him and that Gabriel is mounting a rescue. I fear there are other principalities at work here as well.'

Mr. Vale blurted out

'But what about the traitor?'

Lucian sighed

'Why were humans so difficult to work with?' he thought to himself.

He pulled himself back to the matter at hand.

'The traitor will be dealt with as soon as I see fit, meanwhile I have every confidence that Gabriel will come through and Jake will be back, after all, as you know he is the key to our success'

Lucian rose from his chair to indicate the meeting was finished. There was a slight murmuring around the room.

'Please my friends. Do not worry, by our meeting tomorrow night many things will have become clear. General, a word with you in private'

The remaining members of the inner circle left, leaving the General and Lucian alone.

'General with all your military background, you must have a feeling about who our traitor could be'

The General looked thoughtful for a moment.

'I find Miss Geia to be almost too quiet at times, but always watching. She is young and impressionable. If someone got to her they could easily extract information.'

Lucian laughed

'You are right General, she is quiet and young, but that hardly qualifies her as a traitor and besides her Guardian is loyal to the cause'

General Kyle looked confused

'Her Guardian?'

Lucian laughed again.

'It is time you met yours. Azakel show yourself'

The General went pale as a shimmering light began to form in front of him. The light grew almost unbearable and the General shielded his eyes.

'Alright Azakel, enough of the dramatic'.

A deep voice replied

'As you command my lord Lucian.'