Chapter 11 - Allies

Jake hurriedly showered. He found a white shirt that looked reasonably un-creased and a pair of trousers on the floor. He went to his wardrobe and pulled out a jacket that went with his trousers and pale blue tie. He threw the jacket on his bed and proceeded to tie his tie. He pulled down the collar on his shirt and straightened the tie in place. He picked a pair of socks off the floor and sniffed them.

'Oh man'

The smell lingered in his nostrils. He threw them into the corner, near his laundry basket. He went to his sock draw and pulled out seven single socks before finding a pair that matched. He looked at the glasses case that contained the stone pendant and decided he needed a better hiding place. He scanned the room.

'I could hide it in the CD player' He thought.

He took the soft case from the drawer felt for the stone. It pulsed at his touch. Jake involuntarily shivered. He pushed the open button on the CD player lid and the lid lifted up. He folded the soft case up into a small bundle that would fit in the CD player. 

Carefully placing it inside he pushed the lid closed. He looked at the time, twenty minutes left. Grabbing his watch, wallet and phone from the draws by his bed and headed for the door. In the hallway, he quickly sent a text to Abe, asking him to phone him about twelve thirty, give him an excuse to leave dinner early. He hoped he would be awake.

The house seemed very quiet as Jake made his way down the main staircase. He headed for the kitchen to see what would be for lunch. The smell of cooked meat, gravy and vegetables combined with the sweet smell of baked cakes made Jake's stomach rumble, he hadn't realised how hungry he was. 

The Chef, Vincent or Vinny as Jake liked to call him, was deep in conversation with one of the sous chefs. He turned as Jake entered the kitchen.

'Out, out'

He tried to shoo Jake out of the kitchen. It was a ritual, he and Vinny had done many times He was not pretentious in any way, but liked to give the impression he was. Jake smirked, as Vinny with a flourish of his hands declared

'My masterpiece is not finished. You may not enter my domain'

Vinny, couldn't hold it, he burst out laughing and Jake joined him.

'You are getting better at that, I almost believed you this time'

Vinny clapped Jake on the back.

'What can I do for you, Jake?'

Vinny, was in his usual chef whites and clogs, he stood a couple of inches higher than Jake and his pale face looked like it had been pulled from the back of his head, giving him a sleek look with a slightly pointed nose.

'What you making for lunch today?'

Vinny led him to a pot on one of the three ranges that were central to the kitchen. He removed the lid and gave it a quick stir.

'Carrot and Coriander soup to start', replacing the lid, moved over to a large dish covered with silver foil, lifting the foil, 'Followed by roast beef'

The beef had been expertly carved, each slice exactly the same thickness. Jake picked a bit off the tray. Vinny rolled his eyes as Jake shoved the entire piece in his mouth. Jake gave him the thumbs up. He looked at his watch.

'Got to go' Jake said his mouth still half full with beef. 

He high fived Vinny and rushed out of the kitchen. He almost ran straight into Gabriel, who was coming to find him.

'You're going to be late, you know what he's like if your late'

Jake nodded. A thought struck Jake.