Chapter 6 - Friends & Enemies

Xavier darted through the trees not stopping he knew He was coming and fast. Xavier picked up the pace until there was nothing but a blur weaving through the trees and on through the fields, just a flattened path way through the long grass. He stopped and turned around to look back and had just enough time to get his sabre up to block an arching blade that came down with such force it drove him to his knees. 

Xavier rolled backwards, unclipping his other cylinder in the process and came up ready, a sabre now in both hands. Gabriel advanced on Xavier and thrust his sword, Xavier crossed his blades in a block, pushing Gabriel's sword upwards. Holding one of his blades up to protect another downward blow, Xavier swiped at Gabriel's midsection. Gabriel had already reversed his sword and parried the blade away. 

They continued in their dance, blades now a blur as they thrust, blocked and parried fighting as much with each other and the long grass in the field. Towards the edge of the field was a thin line of trees and beyond that the freight railway line.

Xavier heard the train. He decided to head for it and get out of the long grass. With a whirling pirouette blades aimed high and low, Xavier gave himself enough room to run. He hit the line of trees and dodged through them converging with the track just as he could see the train speeding towards him.

There were only four cargo trucks attached to the powerful engine. Xavier had to time it just right. As the train passed he crouched and jumped up into the air, double back flipped and landed on the second truck. Panting and blades still poised he surveyed the trees. From nowhere Gabriel burst through the trees, coat flapping as if it was a cape. He landed on the third cargo truck. They eyed each other.

'Xavier Avalon, you have improved',

'As have you my friend.'

They retracted their blades, advanced and embraced as brothers.

They sat on top of the cargo truck, and surveyed the landscape; Xavier was trying to get his breath back.

'You're getting old!' Gabriel chuckled,

'Not as old as you.' They both laughed.

Gabriel suddenly serious

'They know he is here then?'

Xavier nodded. 'There is also another complication' Xavier's grave look concerned Gabriel

'What?'

'There is a demon involved. He's a major one as well. It looks like the master is trying to get in with a house, but I'm not sure which one'

They sat in silence with their thoughts. Xavier and Gabriel had travelled a number of miles on the top of the train.

'You landed a little too near the house and set perimeter alarms off all over the place. I had to try and convince Lucian that it was just poachers we had encountered. If he knew it was an attempt to get the boy, we may have lost him altogether. Where did you get the co-ordinates from?'

Xavier was puzzled,

'I thought they used the ones that you supplied me with' Gabriel stroked his goatee and looked thoughtful for a moment.

'They must have made a mistake and punched in the wrong co-ordinates' said Gabriel, dismissing it

They sat in silence for a few moments. Xavier always liked being in Gabriel's company, it was peaceful, well most of the time.

'We had better get going'

'I guess so' replied Xavier.

Gabriel stroked his goatee beard again and looked out across the landscape picking his route back to the house.