wanna bet?

kageyama and hinata argue over who would be the better boyfriend.

"looks like someone's got a secret admirer," said tanaka teasingly as he passed by kageyama's locker.

"is that a love letter?" asked noya eagerly, stepping closer as well. "i've always wanted one of those!"

hinata watched, interested, as kageyama blushed and attempted to hide the envelope in his hands.

"it's nothing," he muttered, but tanaka managed to wrest it out of his hands while noya jumped on kageyama's back to restrain him. tanaka read out loud in a high, girlish voice:

"dear kageyama kun,

i know we don't each other all that well, but there's something i want to confess to you. i'm not actually great at math, i just offered to tutor you because i wanted to spend time with you, because i like you. i -"

kageyama snatched the letter back, flushed pink with embarrassment.

"i don't believe it," said sugawara, grinning. "it's an actual love letter."  he reached up and ruffled kageyama's hair, saying, "our little kageyama is growing up."

"so that's why there was a first year girl asking to enter the club room this morning," said daichi thoughtfully.

"is she cute?" noya immediately asked, turning between daichi and kageyama, neither of whom answered. "what about you, shoyo, do you know her?"

hinata shrugged as he closed his locker and leaned back against it. itsuki must've been one of the smarter students, in a higher class, because hinata didn't know her - but if that was true, if she was smarter, then why was she falling for kageyama? hinata was well aware that kageyama was weirdly popular among the female first years, but he never wanted kageyama to figure that out well, there was no getting around it now kageyama had gotten confessed to. his head was going to get all inflated, and for no reason, too, because it wasn't like those girls knew him.

"so what are you gonna tell her?" asked yamaguchi.

kageyama stuffed the letter back into his locker and slammed it shut. "nothing," he answered simply.

tanaka and noya gaped at him.

"you can't just say nothing!" noya insisted. "do you have any idea how lucky you are?"

"it's not that big of a deal, tsukki gets confessed to all the time," yamaguchi put in, but was quickly told to shut up by tsukishima.

"you guys don't think i'd actually go out with her, do you?" said kageyama, frowning at them. "i'm not interested in things like that."

"girls?" asked sugawara with a raised eyebrow."

"just... dating," kageyama corrected him shyly. "i'd rather spend my free time practicing than taking random girls out to eat."

"your popularity is wasted on you, kageyama," tanaka lamented, shaking his head, just before daichi shouted at them all to get their asses to practice.

but throughout volleyball practice that day, all anyone could talk about was kageyama's admirer. tanaka and noya were visibly frustrated with his lack of interest in it, even resorting to wondering if he was asexual or something, which daichi got angry at them again for. hinata, on the other hand, found this all very amusing. he knew kageyama wasn't interested in girls or dating, but just imagining him on a date was funny to hinata.

cold, unfeeling, standoffish kageyama as a boyfriend?  his smile could curdle dairy, he was unbelievably gloomy, and if he held someone's hand he'd probably crush it with his grip. hinata couldn't possibly imagine kageyama in any romantic setting, which is why it so amused him when girls liked him so much. unfortunately, hinata forgot to hide his amusement while the others were talking about it after practice was over and everyone was stretching, cooling down.