brawl

i've always wanted to see a fight on court in the middle of a match.

it never took much to set kyoutani kentaro off. this was the first match karasuno was watching him in and he'd already stirred up quite a bit of trouble with his own teammates, causing iwaizumi and oikawa to scold him so much it sounded as though they were talking to a very small child.

"ken-chan, bad!" oikawa cried at one point, and kyoutani just growled back at him. tanaka had to stifle a giggle at that, just before kyoutani turned to him.

"what's so funny?" he demanded, narrowing his eyes.

"i see why they call you mad dog," tanaka replied, smirking.

before tanaka even realized what was happening, kyoutani lunged at him through the net, tackling him to the ground and taking the entire net down with him, so that it tangled between them as kyoutani drew his fist back to sink it into tanaka's face. everyone stared, shocked, at the pair of them, but noya had the quickest reaction time. within seconds he was on top of kyoutani, attempting to pull him off while also elbowing him in the neck, his expression absolutely unhinged. kyoutani choked, and tanaka cringed, turning his bruised face to the side.

yahaba hastily hurried over trampling over the fallen net and wrenching noya's body off of kyoutani, tossing him to the side as if he was some lightweight piece of luggage. at that point, hinata figured he'd better step in, though he didn't actually know how to fight - he just knew he needed to defend noya senpai, in whatever way he knew how. so he sprung up behind yahaba, grabbing onto his shoulders and holding on, digging his fingernails into yahaba's shoulders while yahaba attempted to shake him off, elbowing him in the sides.

"did he just -?" said sugawara indignantly, tensing up from where he stood at the side of the court; daichi quickly held his arm, keeping him from joining the fight. "how dare he put his hands on hinata!"

coach ukai and coach mizoguchi from aoba johsai hurried to the center of the court, not knowing quite how to stop the fight, however; noya had recovered, and now he ignored tanaka and kyoutani's tussle to run towards yahaba, grabbing him and nodding for hinata to hop off. he did, and noya immediately gripped yahaba from behind.

"come on, get him, shoyo!"

hinata realized noya was leaving yahaba completely open for hinata to hit him. hinata felt a rush of excitement trickle through him, but he'd never hit anyone before, and he wasn't really sure if he could do it - it was this hesitation that lost him the satisfaction of throwing his first punch, because yahaba took advantage of it by elbowing and kicking noya back to the floor again. hinata reared back, ready to jump on his back again, but before he could, yahaba was also shoved to the ground, by kageyama this time, who had apparently joined the fight as well when he saw his senpai threatened.

"kageyama!" hinata gushed, his eyes twinkling, but kageyama didn't answer him; instead he roughly pushed him aside, and hinata quickly realized why when he turned around to see watari behind him, his fist raised and being forcibly stopped by a straining kageyama. this was hinata's chance; he wasn't going to lose it this time. just as kageyama looked like he was about to be overpowered, hinata swooped in again, sinking his fist into watari's stomach, causing him to double over, clutching it in pain. hinata drew back, feeling an unbridled sense of power in his hands, much like when he spiked a ball - it was helped by sugawara's distant yells of "yeah, hinata! go! get him!". hinata and kageyama met each others' gazes and couldn't help grinning at their own attack. but they couldn't stand there unprotected for long.

while noya and yahaba and tanaka and kyoutani were going at it on karasuno's side of the court, coach ukai and coach mizoguchi trying to pull them apart, aoba johsai's team was watching, amused. well, matsukawa and hanamaki were amused; oikawa was staring at the scene of him in utter shock, probably wondering when on earth his team had fallen to pieces (it was when he'd allowed the second years into the team), and iwaizumi was helping coach mizoguchi out, also taking it upon himself to help watari out while also scolding him.